These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Anyone else tweaking too much and playing too little?
by mtnbkr123 on 2012-01-26 09:43:58

Wow. The HD500 has been a roller coaster ride. First, nothing but disappointing failure . Then, right before I was about to return it, some breakthroughs . But now I find I am tweaking like a mad scientist instead of playing . Tweak, play a riff. Tweak some more, play the same riff... I am slowly driving my daughter insane.

Since getting the HD, I'm becoming more and more and more obsessed with tone. And what is really bizarre is that a patch that sounds like sonic sex when I first fire up my HD, slowly deteriorates, sounding continually thinner and thinner as time ticks away (sometimes hours with me having no idea). Then I check and recheck everything 10 times thinking I inadvertently changed a setting. Then I unplug the HD, fire up a few pedals to see how those sound, and conclude they sound no better than the HD. Then I conclude that the HD is fine - it's my amp that sucks. Haha!  It doesn't really and I know that.

It's all because I have become hyper dialed into tone since I got the HD. Continually searching for the ultimate tone experience.

At this rate I am going to have to line up some counselling. I am becoming tone obsessed. Haha!

While it's a blast checking out this and that with the HD, from now on, I have resolved to play more and tweak less.

Anyone else with the same problem or is it only me? Probably just me...

Re: Anyone else tweaking too much and playing too little?
by ChrisRT on 2012-01-26 11:31:21

Mine is on ebay for this reason.

by mtnbkr123 on 2012-01-26 12:03:35

Wow. I'm not quite there yet (seeing as though I'm still within the return period) but holy crap. I need to dial a few patches and get on with life. I haven't got more than 5 hours sleep in a night for 2 weeks. It's been fun but borderline pathological. Mwahahaha!

by uioppi on 2012-01-26 13:06:23

Yes, this is driving me insane!

It's like all the time searching for the golden tone. Just adding, tweaking, adding and teaking. Finally i did managed to get one fantastic sounding tone for lead guitar, but then recorded some solo and backed it with about the same tone. Then listened and realized something very worrying.

I have forgot the most important thing in rock music. KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple). It's not the tone, but the feeling and not being too serious on it. Then i just ripped most of the effects and tweaks off, had compressor, amp and cabinet, recorded backs and played solo with wah and screamer. That was it. For ffffff sake.

by mtnbkr123 on 2012-01-26 13:28:31

I hear you. Loud and clear. But not quite in the perfect tone. Haha. Just kidding.

Don't get me wrong - I have had a blast discovering all the hidden gems of the HD500, but then again, I'm sure a crack addict would say that he's having fun too.

I agree with you on everything you said. Now I just need to abide by it.

by uioppi on 2012-01-26 13:36:49

That's what it feels being geek.. guitargeek. Only difference between me and the real geeks is that I don't enjoy being one, specially when I realized what I was becoming.

Btw. You and i have dedicated site for this kind of addiction also, so we are not alone http://www.guitargeek.com/

Edit. Honestly, that is actually quite cool site, specially the rig database, you can get great ideas from the setups what they have collected from the artists, example: http://www.guitargeek.com/randy-rhoads-ozzy-osbourne-1981/

by meambobbo on 2012-01-26 14:04:16

I wouldn't say my tone deteriorates.  I do notice more warts for some older patches, and I'll tweak them.  Yes, I tweak way too much.  But in general I think my patches rule.  I love my tone, even for long periods of time.  For me, it's more about the sheer volume of patches I have than struggling to find a single patch that I always like.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-26 14:34:34

For me it's about the output.   I am really happy with the FX Only patches to go with my amp.  I am also getting to the stage of being happy with the modelled amp patches that I output to the power amp of my JVM Combo. 

My final aspiration is to get some good patches to run straight into a PA and that is the real challenge for me - being able to anticipate how a given patch will sound when plugged into a flat, neutral PA. 

If I can get to the stage where I can plug into a strange PA and be abe to get a selection of clean and dirty tones that sound good and FEEL good to play (even with a couple of EQ tweaks on the fly if needed) then I can retire from the tweak-geek arena  happy. 

by mtnbkr123 on 2012-01-26 14:36:50

Mr. Meambobbo -- if it weren't for you and your very well written Guide, my HD500 would have been returned. My break throughs occurred after I started flipping through it. I was doing soooooo many fundamental things wrong. So really, it's you my GF can thank for going for stretches without sessions...well, the kind of sessions she has in mind anyway. Hahahaha!

As for the deterioration of the tone of my patches, I am not talking over weeks or days. I'm talking within hours. They are not really "deteriorating" per se - in fact, they are not changing one bit; the only thing happening is that I get more and more dialed on the tone as I keep playing and what sounded rich and thick and searing hot an hour ago, all of a sudden sounds brittle and thin. As if someone started screwing with the settings. Just my mind playing tricks on me. It happens every time. When I play tonight, my patches will sound awesome again...for a while. Hahaha.

by Rewolf48 on 2012-01-27 05:23:22

Don't forget that your ears get "fatigued" - especially when trying for fine details in tone...  actually it is more about how your brain is interpreting the sound and it does adapt quite quickly which is how you can filter out background noise. 

Take breaks to let them recover as what tired ears thinks is good can often sound rubbish to fresh ears so all that extra fine tweaking is often wasted time.  Get a rough tone, and then just play the guitar without tweaking at all and enjoy yourself (make notes of what you might want to change), then next day come back to see what fresh ears think and if necessary make a few changes and repeat. 

Hours and hours on a few tones in a single session is wasted time.   

by Pezza on 2012-01-27 06:15:02

Get a DT25, tweak for a few minutes and then play for hours.

I was the same when I just had the HD500 into my Vetta or studio monitors. The DT25 has meant I can get those illusive sounds in minutes.

by jasonbogen on 2012-01-27 06:29:48

Wow!  I have an entire bank of tones for the wide range of cover songs my band does that also include JTV settings and I don't have that problem at all.  It took me some time to set them up, but I haven't touched them in months and have played over 100 gigs with it.  This despite working 10 hours a day in my normal job, coaching a baseball team and taking my 3 kids all over God's creation.  Most challenges I had early on I found solutions to on this board.  At least you will be giving someone a chance to get an HD for a good price.

by meambobbo on 2012-01-27 08:59:58

It sounds like Line 6 owes me some gear .  You're not the first person that has said my research was the only cause they didn't return their Pod HD.

by jcosta_sr on 2012-01-27 10:38:05

I also have a whole bank of patches for my copy band.  I can usually get pretty close to the tone I am looking for using my head sets, then tweek them incrementally after each practice when we are playing at normal volumes.  I find the hardest thing is leveling patches across the bank.  That is the one that takes the most time..........and drives me to distraction when playing.........

by mtnbkr123 on 2012-01-28 22:25:02

Problem solved. Today I tried the 4 cable method for the first time into the effects loop of my Traynor YCV-40. Ho-lee crap. Not much tweaking required now, except for levels. Should have done that from the outset.

My Vox ACTV will be gathering dust for a while until the thrill of the HD500 wears off. 

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.