These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Please explain Input settings...
by daveschutt on 2012-01-27 12:45:05

I'm trying to figure out why with only one instrument plugged in to the POD the sound changes if I alter the Input 2 setting.  If I have it set to aux or guitar (using Tyler Variax in input 1) my sounds seems to get thinner.  I would think there should be no bearing on the output if nothing is plugged into or using the Input 2.  I had read on another post a user was recommending when using the DT50 with the HD to change the Input 2 to aux.  Now I was monitoring this using the headphones straight out of the HD.  I have a gig this weekend and I'll be using the JTV>HD>DT50 to mic'd 1x12 cabinet.  I won't have a chance to A/B it prior to the gig so soem words of wisdom are appreciated.

Dave

Re: Please explain Input settings...
by silverhead on 2012-01-27 12:59:47

The HD500 is a dual-path processor that can accept 2 independent inputs. However, the Inputs are not specifically associated with the paths; by that I mean that Input 1 is not dedicated to Path A and Input 2 to Path B. Both Inputs can (and usually are) routed to both Paths. The Input routing depends entirely on the path structure and amp/FX placements in the given preset.

As an example, Input 1 and Input 2 are both routed through a single-path preset. That means if both Input 1 and Input 2 are set to the same physical device (e.g. Input 1 = Guitar; Input 2 = Same) there's a stronger input signal going through the preset, even though there is no second device physically connected to 'Input 2'. Changing Input 2 to an unused physical input (e.g. Aux or Mic) will decrease the level of the input signal that it routed through the processing path.

This is explained much more clearly (I think) in the HD500 Advanced Guide. Here's the clip from it (page 2.6 - 2.7):

About Source Input Signal Routing:

It is important to note how POD HD500 actually routes Source Inputs 1 and 2 through Amp & FX Blocks that are positioned “Pre” position. The following behaviors apply:

• In a configuration with no Amp or FX Blocks in Pre, Input 1 is fed only to Path A and Input 2 only to Path B. Therefore, this is the best configuration if you want to retain discrete Input Sources into Paths A & B.

• Placing an Amp Block or an active mono FX Model in Pre results in a “mix-down” of Input Sources 1 & 2, feeding the same, combined signal into each Path A & B.

• Placing a Stereo FX Model in Pre results in the left channel FX output being fed to Path A and its right output to Path B.*

• The Mixer Block’s Volume and Pan options provide independent control for Path A & B outputs before they are fed through any Blocks positioned “Post” the Mixer.

• By setting Input 2 to “Same,” this effectively routes your Input Source to both stereo Paths A & B (which is how you can feed one guitar input into two Amp Models and/or parallel FX, for example).

*Please also see “Model Types and Mono/Stereo Signal Routing” on page 3•6 for more about how mono and stereo FX affect your signal chain.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-27 13:04:46

You might want to cast your eyes over this thread ... http://line6.com/support/thread/74045

If">http://line6.com/support/thread/74045">http://line6.com/support/thread/74045

Ifyou set your inputs to Guitar/Same then the input level is quite hot .... with a hot guitar the input/initial effects  can overload and cause clipping.

If you set them to something other than Guitar/Same then the input level is reduced by something like 6dB.  Not entirely sure how using the variax fits into the equation but I am sure that others can explain. 

Basically, set it however it works for you but just be aware that clipping can occur.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-01-27 13:07:37

Hi

If you set the Input Source settings to Input 1: GUITAR and Input 2: SAME both input sources are routed through your preset's FX and Amp modules thereby effectively doubling the strength of the signal passing along the signal chain.  If you then either want to put something different through the second channel or if you are maybe experiencing input level clipping due to hot pickups, you would change Input 2: to Aux, Variax or whatever to cut the signal level going through the preset by having your guitar signal only coming through Input 1.   So, what you are hearing when you say your guitar signal sounds thinner when you only have one input source set to Guitar is actually the result of only having half the signal you previously had with both input sources set to Guitar passing through the preset.

However if you mean that you already have Input 1 set to Variax and Input 2 set to Aux and when you change Input 2 to something other than SAME or Variax your sound quality changes, then it shouldn't make any difference. 

Nick

by gregr on 2012-01-27 13:14:12

silverhead wrote:

Changing Input 2 to an unused physical input (e.g. Aux or Mic) will decrease the level of the input signal that it routed through the processing path.

If both inputs are set to the same thing the first active block in the chain receives double the level of the signal feeding the input unless it is a stereo block or the mixer if it is feeding a dual path in which case each side gets the same level as the signal feeding the input.  If there are no active blocks before the junction of a dual path, then like with a stereo block each path after the junction receives the same level as the signal feeding the input.

Changing the input to something unused does not decrease the level hitting the first unused block, unless it's a stereo block in which case only one side of the effect is in use, but that side is still getting the same level as the signal feeding the input.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.