These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How to use the POD HD500 as an input, and still use computer speakers as an output
by lupisk on 2012-01-27 18:51:00

This has been bugging me for a while. I've been able to fiddle with my current ASIO driver to take input from the POD and output to the computer, but it's not a surefire way of doing it. Everytime I load my asio software either the output doesn't work at all, the input doesnt work at all, neither work, or on the odd occansion both work. This makes recording anything a huge ordeal, and keeps me very uninspired to do any recording or song writing.

I was wondering if there was a way to make the Line 6 ASIO driver use my speakers as an output, while still using my POD as an input? Am I missing something? Or am I the only one who's wanted to do this?

I've seen A LOT of videos about using the POD as an audio interface, but none that explain why this is useful, or how to moniter out of your regular output.

I use Sonar 8 Producers Edition as my DAW and ASIO4ALL as my ASIO driver.

Re: How to use the POD HD500 as an input, and still use computer speakers as an output
by silverhead on 2012-01-27 19:29:20

What you want to do is unsupported by Line 6, because it is not supported by the ASIO protocol - and Line 6 devices conform to the ASIO standard.

The problem is ASIO4ALL. It is not a true ASIO driver. It attempts to allow you to use different audio devices for input and output. That is contrary to the ASIO protocol definition, which demands that the same device be used  for both input and output. The result of this pseudo-ASIO implementation, as you have discovered, is that true ASIO devices like the HD500 often do not work as you might expect with ASIO4ALL.

In Sonar, configure the Audio setup so that it uses the HD500 and its ASIO driver as the audio input and output device. All the audio from Sonar will be routed through your HD500 and you will hear it through the HD500 outputs. That, of course, means that you must connect your speakers to the HD500 outputs to hear the sound.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.