These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Which Strap Locks?
by cloggins on 2012-01-28 01:51:24

In relation to the JTV-69: which strap locks can be installed without modification to the guitar's body? Are there any lock systems which have screws that are too long/short or thick/thin? I would like to install a set of strap lock systems without tapping or filling the hole already in the guitar's body.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Which Strap Locks?
by Benni2407 on 2012-01-28 02:55:50

I use the Schaller security locks, but on my JTV-59. They work great without any modifications. I suppose there will be no problem installing them on the JTV-69. But I cannot say for sure...

by BigChas52 on 2012-01-28 04:37:51

I see no reason why Schallers wouldn't work just fine.  I've used them on all of my guitars for years.  They don't look much different from standard strap buttons and if necessary, you can usualluy use the screws that came with the existing strap buttons, although I haven'f found that to be a problem.

As far as filling the hole, you probably will not need to.  I have found that over time those holes tend to widen anyway.  A quick fix is to put a drop of wood glue or white glue into the hole and break off a toothpick or two into it.  Invisible mend, and better than new.  .

by Benni2407 on 2012-01-28 05:40:20

For me the best solution for filling holes is Epoxyd. It works really amazing. Just fill the hole completely with Epoxyd, let it dry and drill a new hole into it. It is solid as a rock!

by jmolderings on 2012-02-01 09:55:36

On both of my JTV-69 I installed Schaller Strap Locks. The screws that ship with them match exactly the original hole.

by edstar1960 on 2012-02-02 01:18:32

+1

I installed Schaller strap locks on my JTV59 - fitted perfectly - no problems.

by ajchance on 2012-02-04 21:00:32

I installed Schallers on my JTV89,  but the screws easily pulled loose.  Holes filled with wood glue and toothpick shims.  Worked like a charm.

by cloggins on 2012-02-05 07:31:21

Finally got my JTV-69 and installed the Schaller strap locks. However, the screws were not a perfict fit. The Schaller screws were of the correct diameter. The short one which came w/ the locks did match the stock screw in the tail of the 69. However, the head screw was different (longer than the Schaller short, shorter than the Schaller long). I used the short screw at the head. Seems to have fulfilled the need.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.