These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Teaking the tone of the HD500 Wahs
by sumitr on 2012-01-31 11:49:24

Hello, does anyone have any suggestions or a patch that provides nice lead tone with the Wah on? I have tried all the Wah presets that come with the HD500 and hate how trebly they sound. Maybe its the positioning in the effects chain that I am getting wrong. Here's my situation - I am adding the Wah to the top of the effects chain i.e. from guitar to Wah. I assign it to a foot switch so I can get my nice non-wah tone. As soon as I kick the wah in - it goes all trebly, harsh and squealy. I am wondering if anyone kicks in an EQ at the same time to shape the sound back to the pre-wah sound. I have been using the Dunlop Wah that is activated by stepping on the pedal which is useful from a functionality standpoint - but it does not mess up my tone in a seriously big way that activating the Line 6 wah does. The only one that doesnt react so aggressively is the Weeper but I would like to be able to use the other Wahs as well.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Re: Teaking the tone of the HD500 Wahs
by phil_m on 2012-01-31 11:59:25

Well, you don't have to use the full sweep of the effect. I don't typically set the toe down position to 100%, as I find that overly bright. I find I like most of the wahs with the toe set around 85-90%.

Re: Teaking the tone of the HD500 Wahs
by jimsreynolds on 2012-01-31 12:47:56

+1 on Phil.  If you like part of a wah sweep but the extremes are too much, just set the expression pedal to less than 100% and more than 0% - i.e. into the bit you like. 

Also, try running the Wah mix at less than 100%.  They tend to sound a bit more natural round 70-80% wet.  Credit goes to a dude called Glenn DeLaune for highlighting that one.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.