These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Still no 2.0 update??????
by hollis1003 on 2012-02-02 06:12:43

It's been two weeks Line 6.

I love my POD HD 500 now, but I sure would love some new stuff to play with.

Re: Still no 2.0 update??????
by PaulBateman on 2012-02-02 06:17:33

lol i know.... how hard is it to give a tentitive date?

now i fire up monkey every damn day to see...no updates available...

happy with my pod... happy with l6.... but this is kind of stupid from a business standpoint...  they would have been better off to not even say anything about it until they had details confirmed...

by Rowbi on 2012-02-02 06:20:02

hollis1003 wrote:

It's been two weeks Line 6.

I love my POD HD 500 now, but I sure would love some new stuff to play with.

you are kidding right.....????

give em a chance!

by Rowbi on 2012-02-02 06:23:36

PaulBateman wrote:

lol i know.... how hard is it to give a tentitive date?

now i fire up monkey every damn day to see...no updates available...

happy with my pod... happy with l6.... but this is kind of stupid from a business standpoint...  they would have been better off to not even say anything about it until they had details confirmed...

oh my god... are you serious?

people on this forum are always bashing L6 for never giving them a heads up on what's coming next... so this time they say this is coming soon (which in L6 terms, I imagine soon to be 1-3 months at a guess).... now you're saying they shouldn't tell you anything...

I'm sure there's marketting people at L6 who regularly bang their heads against brick walls trying to please customers....  It seems this is another case of giving us a little bit of helpful info, but even that's not good enough.

rant over!

Rowbi

by PaulBateman on 2012-02-02 06:34:46

Rowbi wrote:

you are kidding right.....????

give em a chance!

why would he be kidding?

coming soon is pretty vague.... now im looking for this update and finding nothing.... coming soon... is that a week from now? a month? 4th quarter?? lol... do you see what im getting at?

they can take their time... like i said, im happy with them and my purchases from them.... but i personally feel they shouldnt make announcments like that until they have the details to go along with it... or at least update it within a reasonable timeframe...

they know when it will be passed testing.... if they didnt, its nowhere near close enough to even be announced... there is no harm in tentitive or even ballparked dates... "hey guys.. this update should roll out hopefully in feb/2012" etc...

but again... just commenting on a post with my opinion, not complaining... lol...

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-02 06:40:51

PaulBateman wrote:

.. if they didnt, its nowhere near close enough to even be announced...

i'm sure the announcement had a little something to do with the big trade show in which it was announced...

they want to keep retailers excited about line6 products...

if not for the trade show, i'm certain they would have just released it when it was done.. and announced it THEN.

they also have a big european trade show, where they announce stuff as well...

its all about marketing and promoting their products...

the fixes and features that are announced are for us users...

the announcement itself is more for the industry.

by meambobbo on 2012-02-02 06:55:22

LOL - you're about to get a crash course in patience, Line6 style.

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-02 06:59:06

made me chuckle a bit...

but really... you have to ask yourself... do you really want it released before it's ready?!

(rhetorical question... please don't answer it! )

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-02-02 07:08:25

To be taken in the spirit intended - i.e. not heavy :

Is anyone else experiencing deja vu?

X3 series anyone? Gearbox Editor??? LOL

That one was coming 'soon' for a couple of months and boy-oh-boy did people get hot under the collar  

It's great that people are looking forward to the new release, but it's not worth raising anyone's blood pressure to dangerous levels.

In all seriousness, the new update will be ready when it's ready and we don't really want something that isn't ready do we??? 

I'm sure the updates will be available soon, shortly, directly, without unnecessary delay, quickly, pronto etc....

Sit down.  Close your eyes.  Relax. Breathe deeply and slowly.....

by silverhead on 2012-02-02 07:19:34

Line 6 User community Segment A: Give us advance notice of pending updates, dammit!!! This is useful and necessary information and all other manufactureres provide it!!!

Line 6 User community Segment B: Why are you even telling us about a pending  update when it's not ready?? Where is it, dammit!!!  I'd rather not even know about it until it's ready for release.  No other manufacturer teases their customers this way!! 

Line 6 Product Mangers:  WTF??

by spikey on 2012-02-02 07:20:06

Nick, that go's for everyone here, correct???

I mean, from the seat Im sitting in and reading down this thread, the only one that needed to follow this advice was Rowbi....

just an observation - no harm intended...

by rphenson on 2012-02-02 07:26:59

In the thread concerning the squealing issue that some users have experienced with the HD500, Line 6 has stated that they intend to issue an interim fix by the end of this week (dependent on successful validation of the software).  It may be possible that they have delayed release of the update until they could incorporate this fix.  It would not make much sense to release two updates in a short period of time.

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-02 07:31:24

the squealing issue is to do with the HD Edit software and not the firmware...

the interim fix is going to be HD Edit only as i understand it...

the full fix will be part of the firmware v2.0 when its done.

by rphenson on 2012-02-02 07:38:28

The post I was referring to simply stated that L6 had identified a synchronization problem between HD Edit and the HD500 and were hoping to issue an interim fix.  It didn't seem clear to me if the fix was for HD Edit, the HD500, or both.  You could very will be right that the fix will be on the HD Edit end of the problem, but not sure that you could come to that conclusion from the squealing thread alone.  Perhaps you have information from another source.

by hollis1003 on 2012-02-02 07:42:37

No offense was taken. 

I just wanted to start the conversation.  Having a 2.0 release probably does mean that more people will go out and buy the actual POD HDs out there.

As I said, I love my POD HD as it is but I would like to have some news toys to play with.  Especially since it will be FREE.

I would deffinitely like to see model packs for the HD series.  That way we can customize what amps we want to have and pay for them.  I know Line6 is working on a lot of different stuff right now, but I know they could sell thousands of Metal packs at $50 each and that would be worth paying a few guys to generate the modelling. 

It's got to be a slightly complicated process to model a new amp but would it really take more than a day or two per amp?  A model pack with 20 new amps and preamps would then take 40 work days (or 8 weeks) to complete and would easily pay for itself in the first week.

I think my estimates are conservative at best.  With such a huge financial reward it just doesn't make sense that after all this time we still have the limited number of amp models we do.

Just my opinion.

by phil_m on 2012-02-02 07:52:56

You're assuming that Line 6 just creates an amp model and bada-bing, bada-boom, it's done. I think there's more to it than that. They have to test and tweak models before they release them in the wild. I suspect it takes quite a bit longer than 1 or 2 days to when all is said and done.

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-02 07:56:16

hollis1003 wrote:

It's got to be a slightly complicated process to model a new amp but would it really take more than a day or two per amp?

much more than a day or two....

they also have to model each and every conrtol the amp has... in some case create controls where one doesn't exist...

the cab's are modeled seperately presumably with each of the available microphones...

just to name a small part of the extended process...

it also takes someone with genius brains and dog hearing to pull it off

by rphenson on 2012-02-02 07:59:19

I agree.  You would first need to find the amp to be modeled (some have not been in production for years).  You would need to verify that the amp had not been customized in a way to make it unrepresentative of the generic amp being modeled, and that the equipment was in essentially the same working condition that it would have been in during the era where it was commonly used.  At that point, I am guessing that a lot of sampling of the output of the amp has to occur to measure how the sound is affected by all of the tweakable controls on the amp.  Someone has to come up with the graphics for HD Edit.  Finally, I assume a group of users needs to play the modeled amp alongside the real amp for a while to determine that the modeling has captured the essence of the modeled amp's sound.  I would think from locating and testing the amp through devleopment of the model and production testing would take weeks rather than days. 

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-02-02 07:59:54

Yes just a day or two per amp. Jeez, they could give us twenty new amps in just over two weeks, slackers.

by Rowbi on 2012-02-02 08:03:35

spikey wrote:

Nick, that go's for everyone here, correct???

I mean, from the seat Im sitting in and reading down this thread, the only one that needed to follow this advice was Rowbi....

just an observation - no harm intended...

lol, you're probably right too.  I think I read your post, remembered back to the X3 and gearbox days and tried to respond to what I was remembering... sorry chaps.

trust me though, the work behind closed doors at L6 on bring you updates takes longer than most people think it does because of all the effort L6 put in to make things awesome. 

hang in there though, when it comes it'll be good :-)

Peace

Rowbi

by jcosta_sr on 2012-02-02 08:04:29

Hey Gang,  this isn't anything new......For as long as I've been a Line 6er I've been coming to this forum looking for when this release or that release is going to finally be released.  The longer it plays out the more contentious these posting become.  Reading some of the threads can be quite entertaining.  I don't know if there is a right answer here, all I know is I got practice tonight, I'm going to play my rig with my HD tones and patches, then tomorrow come to this site to see if 2.0 has released.

by silverhead on 2012-02-02 08:09:26

Well said, jcosta_sr.  It is entertaining - and there is no right answer.

by hollis1003 on 2012-02-02 08:17:50

All I was looking for was a little entertainment.

And, just to add food for thought.  They already have mountains of amps at Line6.  They modeled a Dumble for gosh sakes in past PODs.  They have Diezels, the 5150, the list goes on and on.  So although they could get some new amps (like the Friedman's or Metro's or 3 Monkeys) they have plenty of amps to model and I would ask, what the heck have they been doing with them for the last year +?

by Rowbi on 2012-02-02 08:33:21

rphenson wrote:

I agree.  You would first need to find the amp to be modeled (some have not been in production for years).  You would need to verify that the amp had not been customized in a way to make it unrepresentative of the generic amp being modeled, and that the equipment was in essentially the same working condition that it would have been in during the era where it was commonly used.  At that point, I am guessing that a lot of sampling of the output of the amp has to occur to measure how the sound is affected by all of the tweakable controls on the amp.  Someone has to come up with the graphics for HD Edit.  Finally, I assume a group of users needs to play the modeled amp alongside the real amp for a while to determine that the modeling has captured the essence of the modeled amp's sound.  I would think from locating and testing the amp through devleopment of the model and production testing would take weeks rather than days. 

indeed... it likely does take a very long time, and that's forgetting about other features in the PODs that aren't the amp models, it's all gotta be tested together... If anyone finds a little bug, it's fixed, and then it's all gotta be tested again to ensure everything plays well with the bug fix...

working for a large software company myself means I see something similar firsthand, and it's a crazy business, and often it's almost impossible to say something will be finished in a given month if there's sufficient different developers working on different parts of it and many dependancies... 1 little thing can throw it all out by ages.  And IMHO that's the main reason why L6 only gives a rough idea that something's on its way 'soon'... oh and the fact that the gearbox release was held back several months past its due for release date and L6 took a bashing...  'soon' is all we're gonna get, and that's enough for me :-)

here's some fun things though... L6 likely don't need to find any more anps to model... they already have all the ones they modelled for the XT and X3:

see the line 6 amp room picture: http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/faqampmods.asp

anotherdifferent pic here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar06/articles/line6.htm

andanother: http://www.flickr.com/photos/line6photos/1120758146/in/photostream

soif anyone's thinking "I wonder what amp models L6 may think about putting in the POD HD in the future" my money is on some that are in that last photo!

Cheers

Rowbi

by meambobbo on 2012-02-02 11:42:44

Why do they even need all those amps?!  They could just get an Axe-FX II and model all its amp models!

by silverhead on 2012-02-02 12:11:51

Now that's funny!!

See? We knew this thread would be entertaining.............

by Siessi on 2012-02-07 16:10:10

Man! I've gotta get my head deeper into the game! This is the first I'm even hearing about an update!

by stumpsout on 2012-02-07 19:27:42

Nick_Mattocks wrote:

To be taken in the spirit intended - i.e. not heavy :

X3 series anyone? Gearbox Editor??? LOL

That one was coming 'soon' for a couple of months and boy-oh-boy did people get hot under the collar  

Nick, ahem..you left out a teeny tiny one from this list.

*zips mouth shut*

*waits and checks forum one more time in case the update came*

by lowyaw on 2012-02-08 05:47:04

i am curious about 2.0, but personally, i don't really care for updates anymore. well, of course, i still do, to an extent, as long as they concern certain improvements to units topogy, software, or whatever it's called. etc. but not for larger herd of amps. really. when i play in a cover band,  i use 4 amp models at most. hell, i can probably cover 85% of tunes with just a bassman model and a couple of pedals. after the first firmware update, HD500 is good enough, so in my humble opinion, updates are good and welcome, but it's basically fine tuning. 

in addition to this, i believe L6 are really busy now fixing the squealing issue, as theoretically this may end up in court in case some kid fries an ear playing through the thing. hell, even heavily soiled underwear after this unfortunate accident may force some users to go  visit a lawyer as they SHOULD be also worrying about internal clipping and x-over distrortion emulation other then that, i wouuld suggest that anyone desiring (or i'd rather say, expectiong)  a major improvement upon HD v 1.4 series should rather wait for a new product, not for FW ver 2.0.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-02-08 06:13:17

I'm the same - my "go to" amps probably number no more than 3 out of 22 (4 when the Ampeg is available!). However, that's just for the stuff I'm working on now. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to get into some different material and explore all the other amps the HD has to offer. And I certainly wouldn't say no to more!

That said, there are still some core features of the HD that I would like to see Line 6 improve upon. It seems a little ass-backwards to give us new models but leave us with a really basic compressor, or a single band parametric when most of us would sacrifice any hope of new models for these things.

I guess it's partly a perceptual thing; no company wants to be seen doing nothing but plugging holes. They want to be seen to be giving us cool NEW stuff, not just fixing the things we already have. So I do get it.

Either way I know it will work out fine. By the time I got my X3 it was really at the peak of its development and I got a lot of good use out of it. Hell, I still own and use it. So that's saying something. The HD is already miles ahead of where it was when it first shipped. I've got faith!

by spikey on 2012-02-15 21:05:41

phil_m wrote:

You're assuming that Line 6 just creates an amp model and bada-bing, bada-boom, it's done. I think there's more to it than that. They have to test and tweak models before they release them in the wild. I suspect it takes quite a bit longer than 1 or 2 days to when all is said and done.

OTOH Phil can you please explain then why it is, "since they test and tweaked so much",  that the Variax editor wont work out the back of their flagship HD-Pro guitar preamp? That I have to use the extra interface ? I mean, just how wild is it that this got missed by the QA dept in the 1st place, and how wild is it that all the explantion for this being missed your gonna get here is "its a known problem that will be addressed in a future update" ?....

Yea Im sure that there IS more to it that that... How it got missed is the question, not why I have to wait for a fix....

but really... you have to ask yourself... do you really want it released before it's ready?!

What a hoot Zap... That is "exactly" what happened above....   Im hoping these and other fixes willl be adressed soon...

so if anyone's thinking "I wonder what amp models L6 may think about putting in the POD HD in the future" my money is on some that are in that last photo!

Nice Pic's Rowbi....!!!

by PaulBateman on 2012-02-16 08:29:05

didnt really think about that aspect of it.. i dont follow trade shows but it makes sense...

but now they say they targeted Q1... which was really all i wanted to know.. lol... i certainly dont want them to rush anything.. but im naturally impatient... coming soon is the worst thing to tell me... haha

by phil_m on 2012-02-16 08:31:43

The old joke about NAMM is that it stands for "Not available. Maybe May."

by PaulBateman on 2012-02-16 09:31:47

haha.... i think i avoid them on purpose so i dont feel the need to spend more money.... my gear is already way above what my playing level warrants.. lol

by whiteop on 2012-02-22 18:13:06

If Line6 stays true to form the new patch will be released at 11:59 pm on February 29th or March 30th. I was hoping the patch would be out soon to fix what went wrong on 1.43 so I wouldn't have to roll it back to 1.40.

by GalPro on 2012-02-23 03:30:26

i don't see what you are so angry about...just play your guitar, and when line6 will release the update download it...don't just sit there and wait for the update -_-

by PaulBateman on 2012-02-23 06:11:12

Mr_Arkadin wrote:

Yes just a day or two per amp. Jeez, they could give us twenty new amps in just over two weeks, slackers.

not sure how long it actually takes.... but are these "HD" models really all that different from all the models they have already done? just higher resolution for better hardware.

one can only guess hundreds of hours went into the x3 gen models... is all that data really obsolete now? i doubt it.. they already have all the masters of all of them, just a matter of compiling them with the better DSP in mind...

imo... i could be way off... most of my knowledge isnt audio-specific.. just discussion i guess

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-23 06:15:13

you can also make cd's from low bitrate mp3's.... but someone buying a cd... expects cd quality...

recycling is not an option...

besides you are assuming that the data bits from the old hardware are even compatible with the HD hardware... may be a completely different internal language...

afterall... if you go back to the XT when those models first appeared... you're probably looking at a decade worth of technological advances...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-23 06:24:29

Hey ... why doesn't someone raise a feature request:   can Line 6 please provide a model of an X3 Modeller ?

by phil_m on 2012-02-23 06:26:26

I can't really say I know anything about the specifics of Line 6's modeling process, but I think of it in terms analagous to digital photgraphy. A few years ago, I could have taken a picture with an 8 megapixel camera, and the amount of data, or the resolution, of the photo would have been absolutely limited by that 8 megapixel threshold. Today if take the same photograph (assume for the sake of experiment, I'm able to exactly reproduce the camera postion and subject, etc.) with a 14 megapixel or better camera, there will simply be more data available in the photo. Depending on what I'm doing with the photo, I won't always be able to tell the difference, but if I want to get a detailed close-up I'll be able to tell. And if my project required me getting that detailed close-up, there'd be no way I'd be able to get it from the 8 megapixel photo.

That's my 2 cents. The older models wouldn't necessarily be translatable simply because when you add resolution, you add data points, and interpolation or extrapolation might not work to fill in those extra data points. For one example, I doubt that Line 6 modeled any of the deep editing parameters in a way that the could be edited when they did their XT/X3 models.

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-23 06:28:05

the have!!! its called pod farm

by PaulBateman on 2012-02-23 07:13:26

TheRealZap wrote:

you can also make cd's from low bitrate mp3's.... but someone buying a cd... expects cd quality...

recycling is not an option...

besides you are assuming that the data bits from the old hardware are even compatible with the HD hardware... may be a completely different internal language...

afterall... if you go back to the XT when those models first appeared... you're probably looking at a decade worth of technological advances...

but the masters used for recording are much higher then the CD to begin with

thats my logic... that all of the recording work for these amps has already been done and likely doesnt need to be redone.... but god knows how much work then goes into creating the actual "HD" model.... it could very well be massive.... i was just saying they likely have the ground work done and dont have to start from scratch..

its all assuming the original data was "scaled down" to manage the old DSP limits.... perhaps the quality is there but wasnt possible on the hardware... they could just unlock it so to speak.. might not be 100% of the newer models, but any improvement would be enough for me to get them... i still use my old metal shop models...

just discussion... i really dont know what actually goes into making these models, i only have a general idea... i could be soo far wrong it isnt even funny... lol

and yeah... my pod farm is locked to my Studio GX apparently, only runs in demo mode if its not connected... cant seem to run pod farm thru the hd, have to switch devices and its a pain in the ass... haha

by silverhead on 2012-02-23 07:22:36

PaulBateman wrote:

thats my logic... that all of the recording work for these amps has already been done and likely doesnt need to be redone...

its all assuming the original data was "scaled down" to manage the old DSP limits.

... i really dont know what actually goes into making these models, i only have a general idea... i could be soo far wrong it isnt even funny... lol

I thnk you're right about being wrong.

It's more like phil_m has described. You can't turn an old 2-megapixel dataset into a new 20-megapixel dataset. You need to start again from scratch, with a 20-megapixel camera (recording).

Here's what the Line 6 website says about the difference between the previous (XT/X3) and the new modeling tools:

Quite literally, we went back to the drawing board for over 3 years to develop a brand-new suite of tools that would capture, analyze and translate a tremendous amount of amplifier data.

The first keyword htere is 'capture'. That's the 20-megapixel camera (a ten-fold increase in the dataset size). The previous 'recordings' are inadequate to support the required HD modeling complexity.

by PaulBateman on 2012-02-23 08:18:27

wouldnt be the first time... lol

i was under the assumtion their progress came from DSP advancments.. that their original models were dumbed down for hardware limitations on the x3...

but if that resolution is from enhanced recording techniques as well... then yeah... i guess most of that data is obsolete... but i still wonder if its possible to port them over anyways..

thats IF L6 doesnt choose to remodel proper "HD" amps.... wonder if they could tweak them to use the added DSP power, sort of like upscaled models.... not "HD" but better then the original.... i'd prefer brand new amps/EQs etc but something is better then nothing imo... because who really knows if they will add more then 1 or 2 amps.. these model packs are just rumor no?

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 08:02:07

I dont know why every body is so exited with V2.0, we, guitar players are only getting ONE freaking new amp!!!, ONE.

Im saving for a KEMPER amp, this is what the future is, no longer Line6, sorry.

by silverhead on 2012-04-01 08:12:28

Isn't that one more amp than you paid for? (or more, if you purchased before the earlier update that also added amps)

What are you expecting to see in terms of future free features in your Kemper amp?

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 08:42:40

As a guitar player, first and foremost, the quality of the guitar amps simulated is the epicenter, for me, outside the computer world, there are only 3 houses leading the digital amp world, Line 6, Fractal Audio and Roland. But now there is a new comer that has really shaken the grounds of simulated tone and that is Kemper Profiling Amp.

I have been a long long time Line6 supporter, buying many products and keeping them too, but i really got disappointed when i bought my POD HD500, just a few amps, a bit less intuitive coming from the X3 platform, yeah, sound quality is better, but, compared to AXE FX it still lacks a lot.

Now the kemper is here and it has a sound like no other, really, i have not heard any other piece of outboard or software that sounds as real and as good. It has now over 500 amps to choose from, 200!!!! included when you purchase it and the rest as a FREE share format in the forums.

Fractal audio has taken notice and as you may know they are testing a new, free! feature that lets its users do sampling of real amps just like kemper does...why did they do this???  fear of market share loss... simple, every body is discovering that Kemper's quality is far beyond anything offered before it, so now i ask, what will Line6 do?

The problem i see is that Line6 is afraid to offer as true power processing monster that could deliver unprecedented tone, yeah it will cost maybe over 1K, but guess what, people are willing to pay for better sound!!

Kemper is $1,850, way less then AXE FXII and far better sounding.....Line6 was the pioneer of simulated amp sounds and i would love to have a product from Line6 that could really deliver what is expected in todays Amp guitar realism. Unfortunately the HD series is lacking the most important factor, tone, not that they sound bad at all, but sounding just like a real amp is todays requirements and many young guitar players are tuning their ears to find this tones.

So, i still have all my Line6 investments, but this HD500 could very well be my last purchased item.

by parman on 2012-04-01 08:56:53

Hi,althow it is frustrating to wait I think when the update comes out it will be great and for 500. Bucks to start with and mine sounds great in church it will be perfect, just my thought.

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 09:04:09

A great update would be support for Impulse Responses, that would be a major improvement.  V2.0 as stated by Line6, for guitar player will only include “Plexi Lead NRM” and “Plexi Lead BRT” HD Guitar Amp Models. Stunning new HD guitar amp models based on* the Normal and Bright inputs of the legendary Marshall® “Plexi” 1959 Super Lead 100-watt head. Plug into the classic cascading crunch of this historic English head!

Who cares for "the first HD bass amp?? and the vintage mic pre??  as a guitar player i bought the HD500 to play guitar, not plug a mic or bass.....

Really V2.0 is a mayor dissapoitmnet as it will trully only give us ONE FREAKING amp model....

Sorry to sound so mad or bitter, but you get my drill......

by N9ner on 2012-04-01 09:36:10

Hey nicolas,

I know you from the mylespaul forums

Anyway, you may won't use these other features but other people will.

I'm super thrilled about this mic preamp feature and care less about that one little amp. Then I think the bass amps are also a great addition.

Think about it, maybe the Pod HD 500 will finally become the "All-in-one" solution for recording (or whatever you do with it).

So, I'm really excited about the update. It may dissapoint it may won't. Let's see

Greetz

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 09:47:12

Yes i am!! but i was a member here way before over there

Having a vintage Mic pre and no phantom power for me is a HUGE deal beaker, i have several condenser mics, yet simple phantom power in not available.....

IF i could place this new vintage mic pre between the CAB and the simulated mic that would be amazing!!! but i don't believe this would be happening any time soon or ever....

I have the POD X3 desktop and i had use it in the past as a stand alone CAB simulator.... in HD500 this simply is not possible!! i hate this, why on earth couldn't they leave this independent choice, i cant use the cabs alone, or h¡if there a way to completely bypass the preamps and leave the cab???

And could we please!!! have a 20 or 30 band EQ, how can this be a all in one recording solution if the EQ's are so poor!!!

by N9ner on 2012-04-01 10:11:18

Hm yeah I see. That lack of phantom power ist really an issue and EQ would also be nice

Though I still think it's a great piece of gear. I mean the POD is anything but high end. Sure, 500 (or 600?) bucks is a lot of money but compared to the Kemper, it's a toy. If you looking for some high end gear, then Line 6 is not the right company for you.

But seriously, Kemper adresses a completely different type of users then Line 6 does.

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 10:26:04

Yeah, i paid 300 for my HD500 used but completely flawless on ebay!

POD HD is offered in its RACK and desktop versions aiming for the recording studio, the rack version would be the best candidate to offer greater power with a reflecting price tag because that would be a HUGE target of users like the Kemper.

POD HD is a great tool, yet i still feel X3 is an overall better tool for recording.

by firepile on 2012-04-01 12:24:54

I would really like a metal add-on pack, and a VST version.

by phil_m on 2012-04-01 13:21:39

You can't use the cabs without the amp on the X3 series either, so I'm not sure how you did what you say you did.

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 14:51:19

Yes you can, the no amp selection is right next to the 2001 zen master, then you select the no cabinet, turn the selection and you CAN select the cabs only with out any amp!!! this was absolutely great to use in the FX loop of any am to further give colors to the preamp section of a real tube amp. I have the bean X3, don't know if this is working on the floor models.

by phil_m on 2012-04-01 16:24:55

Well, I have the X3L, and it definitely doesn't work on it - just tried it to verify, actually. If you try to select a cab while on "no amp" as the selection, it goes to the next amp model on the list. I just know that this was requested like a thousand times over on the X3 forums, and the answer has always been it can't be done. Maybe you should double check what happens to the amp selection when you turn the cab selection knob.

by nicolasrivera on 2012-04-01 16:50:08

Well Phill i've been using this no amp only cab thing for over a year so i don't have to double check anything, please take a look at this short movie i just did for you showing that it actually works. I didn't knew it was a petition, as i said before, maybe this only works for the desktop version, but we will need someone from Line6 to confirm it.

http://youtu.be/SVERqSUSIH0

by phil_m on 2012-04-01 19:14:03

Well I feel stupid now...

You're absolutely correct. I went and double-checked, and it as you describe. The weird thing is I couldv'e sworn that people were asking to do this in the X3 and it not being able to be done...  Oh well... I learn something everyday, I suppose.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-01 20:06:39

You know hwat i wish? I wish line 6 could let us with pod hd500 buy extra effects and amps just like the other product they have, that way we choose what we want and need for our own rig,

that will be cool!!!

by bigolsparky on 2012-04-01 20:09:02

My two cents.  I am glad Line6 decided to improve the HD as a complete DAW interface.  It has solved some upgrade issues I was considering.  Particularly on the mic side.  It doesn't really bother me that I can't have phantom power.  I have a UX2 that does have phantom power and a buttload of model packs for Gearbox and it will probably never be used again.  The HD seems to be a much better interface.  The amp models currently are fairly versitile.  I remember playing with a tube amp and a DS1 and thinking it was awesome, so it's hard to complain about all the noises this thing will make.  If you tweak enough, I really can't imagine what noise you can't reasonably mimic. 

by lforward00 on 2012-04-02 10:17:27

Totally agreed and for the pod hd300 as well.

Anyway, I'm not suffering the severe 2.0 upgrade anxiety other people seem to be. From what I can tell, the only 2.0 upgrade I will find useful for my hd300 will be two new amp models. Well, the more amp models, the better.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.