These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 Analog Chorus Effect does nothing after upgrade to Flash 1.4
by edstar1960 on 2012-02-03 08:07:16

I recently updated my HD500 to flash 1.4.

Now I have noticed that when I assign the Analog Chorus to a patch - although there is a subtle increase in volume when the effect is on there is NO EFFECT - no chorus. No matter what I choose for the settings it does nothing.

However, I have the very same effect pre-programmed in an earlier patch and that works fine - giving me a nice chorus effect when I switch it on and removing it when I switch it off.  So why does it do nothing when assigned to new patches?

Has anyone else experienced this or anything like it?  Is this a known bug? Any suggestions on how to fix?  I will probably try to reinstall the flash later tonight as my first step at trying to resolve it.

Re: HD500 Analog Chorus Effect does nothing after upgrade to Flash 1.4
by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-03 10:31:24

I don' t think anyone has picked up on this previously and 1.4 has been out for a little while now so seems odd.

You might want to try a global settings reset before the re-flash if you have not already. --> http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222

How do you connect up your inputs and outputs?  

by phil_m on 2012-02-03 10:36:38

The analog chorus effect only alters one side of the stereo signal (the left is wet, I believe), so depending on where you have it in the signal chain and what outputs you're using, you might not be getting the wet side of the effect.

by edstar1960 on 2012-02-05 07:35:30

I have tried a reflash and still the same - I am only getting an audible effect on a pre-existing setting where I am using it in front of a blackface amp model. If I try to add it to a new tone blank patch - nothing.

I have tried using 1/4" jack in and also VDI in and I am normally taking one of the XLR outputs(I think its RIGHT) straight into a powered PA speaker although I have also tried it on headphone and had same non-existant effect.

I didn't realise only one side of the stereo signal was effected - but I was not aware I was doing any panning hard left or hard right on the output - so both output channels should be the same - but I will check it out just in case I am inadvertently panning the signals.

Thanks for the input guys.

by edstar1960 on 2012-02-05 10:44:41

Thanks phil_m - you were correct - I was only picking up the RIGHT hand signal which was dry - the LEFT HAND signal had the wet sound.

Two things I have learnt today - firstly the mixer defaults to hard left and hard right - and secondly the Analog chorus sends dry signal RIGHT and wet signal LEFT.

User error!    

I like it when the answe is simple! Thanks again phil_m for putting me straight!  

by edstar1960 on 2012-02-06 01:40:10

Just one mystery left for me to solve - the earlier patch I mentioned which always produced a nice chorus with the same effect has the mixer controls panned hard RIGHT and LEFT - yet I could always hear the chorus even though I was only using the RIGHT output channel.  That fx is first in my signal chain and is followed by a distortion and a delay which are both off then the Blackface amp model and then the mixer.  On the patches where I lost the wet signal the chorus was 2nd or 3rd in the chain and not followed by a distortion fx. Perhaps the distortion fx is summing the signal to MONO and that's why I didn't have the issue. Will check that out. 

by daferalo on 2012-02-06 04:48:23

Hi Edstar,

Distortion-type effects, as well as the amps models, are mono. If you place them after a stereo one, the signal will be mono-sized. That is why you hear the chorus in the patch, despite of using just the right XLR output and the mixer settings you have. As the distortion model is off in your patch, I guess the amp model is the block which is mono-sizing your signal.

If the stereo effect is at the end of your signal, or if it is the last effect used before the mixer panned hard, then you would get the stereo effect, and if you only use one XLR output, then you would get half of the effect!!!

Best Regards,

Daf

by edstar1960 on 2012-02-07 03:16:17

Hi Daf,

Thanks for your input. You are correct - it was the AMP block. I was missing the obvious!  On my new patches I was not using an amp and I was setting up a patch for acoustic guitar model - that's why it always worked fine with the previous patch because the amp was summing the output to mono for me before the mixer block.

All sorted now - all questions answered - and I understand what is going on.  

Thanks everyone.

Best Regards

Eddie

by chimp_spanner on 2012-02-07 14:40:41

Yeah tbh I'm still not 100% on how the two outputs work. Like, my initial impression was that Output A and B were panned hard L and R because they represented two mono halves of a stereo whole. It wasn't until recently that I realised I could run A and B dead center, and still have one or both chains with stereo FX on them!

by phil_m on 2012-02-07 14:49:48

That's correct. Both path A and B are stereo paths. They only will be panned hard left and right if you set them up that way in the mixer block.

One thing to realize is that if you put a true stereo effect after the amp but before the mixer in a dual tone with the paths hard panned, you'll actually be losing one side of the stereo image in that path. Now there are relatively few true stereo effects in the HD500, but the Analog Chorus happens to be one of them. So if you put it after the amp but before the mixer and have the mixer panned to the right, you won't hear the effect. It's the only effect that I can think of in the HD series that has a wet/dry split like that.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.