These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV Variax: Model Volume vs Standard Pickup Volume
by rokgod1 on 2012-02-06 11:51:54

Hi Gang!

Hoping maybe someone has an easier solution here...

I noticed on my two brand new Tyler Variaxes (a 59 and a 69) that the overall volume of the modeling is hotter than the overall volume of the pickups. So much so that there is slight distortion running through my Flextone III across the board, almost like deliberately oversaturating a channel when you record. I do have the drive up ever so slightly for added warmth on the amp's clean  patches, but there is virtually no distortion on those patches using the regular pickups or using other standard guitars.

What I would like to do is level the model volumes with the pickup volumes, so that all levels are relatively even going into the amp and seamlessly go between models and pickups. But I haven't seen/figured a way to do that globally. Do I have any other choice but to adjust every model individually in workbench? Just seems a bit labor intensive for what need to do.

I know the 12-string models are slightly lower in volume than the electric guitar models, but there are only a handful of those so that's not  much work.

Thanks for the help!

Re: JTV Variax: Model Volume vs Standard Pickup Volume
by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-06 16:03:59

You can adjust the volume of the modeled strings in Workbench.

Under the Editor menu you will find a "string volume level" parameter that allows you to adjust individual string volumes globally. Between adjusting the mag pickup height and the Workbench volume leveling you should be able to match model and mag output.

by rokgod1 on 2012-02-06 16:59:53

Yup, I've seen that in workbench but I'm looking to see if there's a software solution to adjust the volume of the entire bundle in one shot, or if there may be an adjustment chip on the motherboard in the guitar itsellf, et. al.

Thanks anyway!

by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-06 17:06:06

Nope...it's a patch by patch process.

by rokgod1 on 2012-02-06 17:25:53

That's what I feared. :-) The long way it shall be.

I'm just surprised the output of the models isn't A/B'd and leveled at the factory.

Thanks!

by bearman on 2012-02-07 04:14:22

Hi!

I have the exact oposite problem. I use a JTV-59 with a Vetta 2 and the mag's are far louder than the modeled sounds.

Given the above combination, is there a better way than using the string volume level or is this simply the best way to go about it?

As far as monitoring the levels, what is the recommended way to do this if you also want some sort of visual confirmation on the levels? Hang up an SPL metering device in front of the speakers? Any ideas?

Thanks

by rokgod1 on 2012-02-07 05:53:00

Interesting...

In your case bearman, even if the string volumes are at 100% it still won't be enough. From the answer so far, the only way I can level off my models is by using the string volume for each model in global mode in workbench.

I would think that in theory, there is something you can put in the signal path of the pickups or modeling electronics to antennuate either one. But that would probably take a skilled electronics person who knows what they're doing with Variax components. And it would probably void any warranty.

Although an SPL meter would be an accurate visual check, I've found that even with the amp models, I have to "road test" in working situations, then tweak to dial in the proper "perceived" loudness of each model. But I'm sure you could get pretty darned close with the meter.

I used to have a pocket sized Korg guitar tuner back in the day. As it turned out, it was incorrectly calibrated at the factory and off by a few cents. I opened it, and there was a component on the circuitboard that let me calibrate it with a jewler's screwdriver. I was hoping to hear that the circuitboard in the JTVs has a similar type of output calibration device in it too, or something along those lines. That way, a certified repair person can make some quick adjustments and keep the warranty intact.

I am curious to hear from L6 techs to see if there is any calibration/cross calibration going on during the assembly/QC process. Is it even a consideration? Based on these two opposite cases, I'd be surprised if it is, and they're getting that kind of swing in quality control. I'd also find it hard to believe that L6 would make circuits without any way to adjust the overall output.

by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-07 09:08:05

I'm reasonably sure I came across a thread referring to this sort of circuit board trimpot adjustment for JTV volume by one of the Line 6 Support guys on this or the JTV Group forum - can't find it right now, but I think this is one of those tweaks they prefer to have their "authorized service centers" perform and there were no instructions given to make such an adjustment as well as creating a warranty issue.

We need one of the more tech minded JTV owners (someone like Nick_Mattocks) to chime in here with their 2¢ to illuminate this discussion.

by rokgod1 on 2012-02-08 08:01:03

Hi!

I found the discussion:

JTV 69 Model output levels?

I'm going to give this a shot and see how I dfare. Stay tuned....

by rokgod1 on 2012-02-09 07:08:08

Ok, I found it! While in Workbench, go to the Editor window of a model on your variax, then go to the Editor pull down menu and select String Volume Setup. It's a global setting for each string, but when I first saw the option, I thought it was just another way to get to the string volume for that particular model.

How could I ever have doubted you, Line 6. ;-)

by Hey_Joe on 2012-02-09 09:31:34

I guess I wasn't clear enough with my first reply but this is exactly what I was referring to in Workbench. If my 69 wasn't in Line 6's repair shop and I hadn't recently sold my 300 and 600 on eBay I would have been able to connect to WB and write the detailed instructions on how to adjust the string volume and saved you the trouble of searching for more details. It's been so long since I needed to do the editing I forgot the step by step.

I still can't believe Line 6 never put out a manual or tutorial for Workbench.

by rokgod1 on 2012-02-09 15:27:20

@Hey_Joe

I'm also a little dense at times. LOL Thanks for the guidance, because you helped point me in the right direction, even when I wasn't sure where I was going! It's not clear in Workbench that the option in the pull down menu is a global setting until after you've selected and gone into it. The fact that it's accessible after you select a model leads you to believe it's the same as the string volumes at the bottom of the Edit window for that one model. I agree- there should be a Workbench manual. If I had it, i probaby wouldn't have had to post this thread.

by daferalo on 2012-02-09 17:21:41

Hi,

There is not an oficial Line 6 manual for the workbench software, but I attach two very useful WB manuals made from some users. They do not explain functions like you asked, but it is really helpful from an "advanced" point of view. Just take them as a very good starting point.

Best Regards,

Daf

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.