These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

High e progressive volume cutout until bend
by AndyfromFL on 2012-02-06 19:08:58

Only when I have any model engaged, the high e, starting at the third fret and getting progressively worse, is quieter than the other strings, until I bend it about half a step and then the volume jumps (not gradually) and becomes as loud as the other strings. When I release the bend, the volume nearly shuts off at the same point it jumped up, but comes back to its original level when I release the bend. The high E string isn't touching any hardware, and I don't have this problem at all when I don't have a model engaged. I've tried plugging through a POD HD500 through the VDI and directly into an amp through the 1/4 jack and the problem persists.

The attached file is through a model, where you'll hear the problem, then without a model, where you won't.

Re: High e progressive volume cutout until bend
by AndyfromFL on 2012-02-06 19:37:02

And yes, I did a factory rest and updated the firmware. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-02-07 00:54:28

Hi

I can't be 100% sure but the symtoms you describe indicate a possible hardware problem with the electrical contact for the high E piezo pickup element to me.   I would slacken the high E string and then ensure that the pickup element is properly seated in its place in the bridge.  There's nothing to dismantle.  The pickup element will feel as if it has a little play in it and that's normal, but assuming the basic design of the pickup element is the same as with the older generation Variax guitars, then the metal of the bridge provides the electrical return path and it's important that the element has a good contact with the bridge.  Re-tighten the string and see whether the situation has improved or changed.

If that doesn't work, then the guitar may need to be checked over by an Authorised Service Centre and a replacement piezo pickup element may need to be fitted.

Nick

by AndyfromFL on 2012-02-07 10:18:13

Sweet. Thanks for the reply. I don't know what or where I'm looking though. I took the e string off, and the bridge doesnkt seem any different around that string than the others. I know what my 2 humbuckers look like, but not what a piezo puckup looks like nor where exactly it might be? Have you got a picture around?

by TheRealZap on 2012-02-07 10:19:57

here's the older piezo: https://www.globalfulfillment.net/gfsnet/(S(x5cfvo55gs3ghi55fvpyzryp))/line6/10Expand.aspx?ProductCode=98-030-0034

it is basically a small part in the bridge saddle.

by AndyfromFL on 2012-02-07 11:06:56

Sweet, I just loosened and tightened my string and it's working perfectly now. Thanks for the help.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.