These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: ToneCore Development Kit

How do I get my ToneCore Development Kit working on Windows 7?
by swidmark on 2012-02-07 19:35:19

I recently purchased the ToneCore Development Kit and I am very disappointed to find that I cannot use it with Windows 7.  According to the Line 6 website, the system requirements are:

What are the PC system requirements for the ToneCore DSP Developer Kit?

• Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later (does not support Vista 64)
  • x86 processor running at 500 MHz   
  • 128 MB of RAM
  • 16 MB of disk space

I figured that since my computer meets or exceeds all these requirements I would be just fine, especially since there is no mention of any problems with Windows 7 even though there is a specific mention of not supporting 64-bit Vista. 

I've seen other posts where people are running XP on Windows 7, but everything I've found requires me to have Windows 7 Professional in order to do this, which would cost me another $90. 

Is there any way that I can use the ToneCore Development Kit on Windows 7 without spending any more money?  If not, how can I get a full refund on my purchase?  Also, is it possible to update the website to mention that Windows 7 is not supported so other people don't end up in the same situation I am in?

Re: How do I get my ToneCore Development Kit working on Windows 7?
by clangen on 2012-02-10 21:45:02

Hi Swidmark,

TCDK isn't supported on 64-bit Windows systems - neither Windows 7 nor Vista. I had a try on my side with both Windows 7 versions - sorry, it cant be installed using 64-bit. Probably they had to rewrite the drivers. Downgrade to 32-bit to run TCDK please without any issues.

Best regards

Christian   

by audioartillery on 2012-02-12 15:28:28

Another option is to simply use a virtual machine to host a 32-bit Windows installation and do your development (or at least your flashing) from that VM.  I've used VirtualBox successfully running XP hosted on Linux.  I suspect a Windows host will work as well.

by spaceatl on 2012-02-12 16:07:06

I am compiling VS 6.0 C, C++ and VB6 on Windows 7 just fine...there are some really old 32 bit applications that just will not run, but I tend to think the SDK would likely work on 32 bit windows in XP compatability mode...However, there are some tricks to doing this...

First, you have to use the 32 bit version of Windows 7...

Second, you have to copy the installers (in your case the SDK) to the hard drive and change the compatability mode of all the executed binaries to XP and run as administrator.

Anyway, I had to do this in my day job as a Windows application developer...Windows 7 32 bit edition is not all that different from XP, just areo and craploads of security to turn off...good luck...

by clangen on 2012-02-16 10:05:05

I had a trial on my side using Windows 7 32-bit. This works like XP even without a virtual machine. The issue is just running 64-bit.

If I run it in the compatibility mode "Windows XP Service Pack 2" (as administrator) I get an error message "You need Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista to run this installation", without compatibility mode I get the message "62-bit version of Windwos are not supported for the moment. Please use a 32-bit version of Windows". Nice help. Sorry to say, I couldn't solve this issue. Recompiling for 64-bit and adding 64-bit drivers on the Line6 side will definitively help.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.