These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD300 Effects Groups
by tuffrabit on 2012-02-09 13:27:23

Maybe this has already been discussed in depth.  A quick forum search didn't reveal an already existing topic.

Anybody find a way to get around the grouped effects on the HD300?

Most of the time I find that I want to use two or three of the effects in group one simultaneously.  For instance: an overdrive and compression or an overdrive and a fuzz.  I'm guessing that Line6 grouped the effects on the HD300 so that they could have a feature point (selling point) for the 400/500.  If that is not the case I would like to petition for a firmware drop that would un-group the effects for the HD300.  Let me use whatever combination of effects that I want.

Re: HD300 Effects Groups
by tuffrabit on 2012-03-12 13:14:08

Just sold my HD300 due to this limitation.  If Line6 can't/won't fix this issue they should at least print on the box that while you have OMG SO MANY EFFECTS you can't use them how you want.

by silverhead on 2012-03-12 13:20:47

The reason the effects are gouped in the HD300/400 is to avoid a potential DSP overload. They are not grouped in the HD500/Bean/Pro and you can use them with all the flexibility that you would like, constrained only by hte DSP capacity of the device. This leads to situations where the device firmware prevents you from using certain combinations of effects. It issues a message telling you that you can't add a given effect in a given situation because there is insufficient processing capacity remaining based on existing AMP/FX selections in the preset.

Some users prefer the simpler, bullet-proof design. Other users like the full flexibility (and responsibility) of managing the inevitably limited DSP resource of the device. Your choice.

This is part of the design of the HD product line - it won't be changed.

by johnpicton on 2012-03-12 13:25:22

At risk of sounding a bit blunt - its all about research. It is a fairly well documented fact that there are limitations in the 300 that the 400/500 don't have and likewise in the 400 that the 500 doesn't have. None of this information is hidden.

But I do sympathize. It is frustrating when you buy something that doesn't do what you want it to do, you have done the right thing by off loading it if it doesn't do what you want it to.

I hope you find something that suits.

Regards

John

by tuffrabit on 2012-03-12 13:26:34

I can understand that.  I would've been happy with the device telling me it couldn't handle a given effect combination.  If Line6 didn't want to implement that for the 300 then the other option would be to include the limitation on the packaging.  Whoever it was in marketing decided it would be a good idea to include the fact that the 300 has 80+ effects on board on the box, but failed to include certain important details like "oh, and yeah... you can't mix and match them".  Just a little bit deceitful.

by tuffrabit on 2012-03-12 13:30:53

I know it's not hidden, but it's super apparent either.  There is a 300/400/500 comparison chart on the box.  How hard would it have been to include a disclaimer?  The whole point of me buying the thing was to replace my heavy, and hard to transport, live setup.  It was really disappointing when I discovered that I would have to transport the 300 and a bunch of my other effects pedals to get the sounds I wanted.

Something that suits = homebuilt speaker isolation cabinent.  I'm just done with digital modeling for the time being.

by phil_m on 2012-03-12 13:34:48

I'm not trying to pile on, and the point is already kind of moot in your case, but doesn't the fact that there are three effects knobs with the different effects labeled on them kind of make the limitation of not having like multiple distortions or delays or whatever at the same time self-evident?

by tuffrabit on 2012-03-12 13:38:54

No, it doesn't.  Those knobs are marketed as quick/easy/on-the-fly adjustment knobs.  Even the official youtube videos sport the use of those knobs in that manner.  The limitation only becomes obvious when you start scrolling through the avaliable effects models for each slot.

You're right though, it's moot at this point.  To be clear, I'm not mad or venting.  Just expressing disappointment.  I feel as though this should be clearly labeled on the device's packaging.

by johnpicton on 2012-03-12 13:53:10

To be honest (and I haven't seen the packaging for the 300) you are probably right. You sound like you were fully prepared to give it a go and a try yet you still didn't realize from the packaging that there were limitations. So chances are that you are right. I really don't think it was a cynical marketing ploy by Line6, but you are right that you should be able to tell just by looking at the box that there are limitations and what they are.

by silverhead on 2012-03-12 13:54:46

Perhaps the clearest documented info is on the product comparison page of the Pod HD models:

http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/compare.html">http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/compare.html">http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/compare.html

The difference is pretty clear there in the Simultaneous Effects row of the table.

by johnpicton on 2012-03-12 13:57:48

I agree the info is there (and I also said in my earlier post that it is about research) but a fact of life is that not everybody uses the Internet for research. If it isn't clear on the packaging - perhaps it should be. I think I am beginning to change my mind about this in favour of the OP's opinion.

by tuffrabit on 2012-03-12 14:07:09

That's the only place I've seen something like that.  Even then it's not very clear.  Like I said earlier, the limitation is only obvious when using the unit and scrolling through the avaliable effects models.

Think about my situation:

1. "Oh cool, Line6 has a new spiffy POD thingy."
  2. Go to local music store.
  3. "Oh neato they have an HD 500 setup for peoples to mess around with."
  4. See's price tag!!! "I can't afford that."
  5. "Oh wait... I don't need dual amp tones, signal routing, and more buttons.  The 300 should do just fine."
  6. Asks sales associate "Can I play one of the 300's before I buy it???"
  7. NO
  8. Buys 300 anyways and takes home.
  9. Gets home and sets it up.
  10. "Wait a minute.  I can't use an overdrive and a compressor at the same time???!!!"

Promise you I'm not the only one who did that.

by silverhead on 2012-03-12 18:56:25

I sympathize with your situation, and I'm sure you're not the only one. It would be better to have the limitations of the FX1, FX2, and FX3 more clearly visible at least on the website if not on the box (which would also be good).

You certainly did the right thing, for you, to sell the HD300.

But I think things could have been simpler and easier:

11. Returns the HD300 to the store and gives the salesman who refused to let me test it a piece of my mind.

... or better...

8. Doesn't buy it without testing it.

9. Decides to do some more research, and quickly discovers the FX groupings. Doesn't buy it at all.

I'm not trying to paint it all on you; as I said I think the info could be more visible. Still, you bought a product without understanding it. All the details were here, including the manual, before you bought it.

by Line6david on 2012-03-23 16:08:32

Hi,

Sorry you were unhappy with the HD300. The 300/400 do have a set "signal flow" unlike the HD500. They were designed to be a more "simplistic" POD HD floorboard design and are not as versitle as the HD500.

Thanks,

David

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.