These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Dual Cab Tones - lil help...?
by meambobbo on 2012-02-09 14:29:00

Lately on most of my patches I use "dual cabs" - I set up a dual amp patch, and use the same amp for both channels with identical settings, but use different cab/mic combinations for each channel.  I will adjust the amp/channel volume knob to balance the volume of each channel so neither dominates the other, and you find the sweet spot where they complement each other.  I also pan both channels to dead center in the mixer, so I get one thick mono tone.

Here's a list of the combinations that have worked well for me:

• Treadplate 4x12/SM57 on axis + XXL V30 4x12/SM57 on axis
  • Treadplate 4x12/SM57 on axis + XXL V30 4x12/409 Dynamic
  • Treadplate 4x12/SM57 on axis + Treadplate 4x12/4038 Ribbon
  • Greenbacks4x12/SM57 on axis + Greenbacks 4x12/4038 Ribbon

It takes a while to experiment and find new combos that work well.  I was hoping some community members here might feel a bit adventurous and help find combinations that work well together.  Post whatever you find!

Thanks.

Re: Dual Cab Tones - lil help...?
by daveschutt on 2012-02-09 18:06:20

I often use a Fender Twin with the Park 75.  I'm mainly after the big Plexi Marshall sound but then I dial in the clean Fender sound until it gives my tone a bit more clarity.  Usually about a 60% Park 40% Fender gets me there.  Though I get frustrated too much by the DSP Limit that I have really thrown in the towel on developing good Dual Patches.  It's a real shame because what you can do with the HD vs the X3 is some respects is so much more but the DSP Limit really hurts.  Ultimately if I could wave a magic wand, I would have my Dual Amp patch set so I could assign F1~4 for Effects for Amp 1, F4~8 for Amp 2, Volume/Wah, plug an extra expression pedal and that would control the mixer so I could or Amp Master Volumes so I could blend the two amps on the fly.

Now that I typed all this I looked back at your post and see I'm a little off topic, but hey I typed all this, and got to vent a little! So we'll leave it at that.

by meambobbo on 2012-02-09 20:07:51

it's all good!  topics are meant to be broken!

Anyhoo, here's a little advice with your dsp issue: Instead of using the Fender on one channel, select no amp instead.  Then put a compressor and EQ in that channel.  You lose 2 effect blocks, but you'll use  less DSP, so you should be able to use all 6 remaining blocks, instead of capping out at 4 or 5 otherwise.

by smash979 on 2012-02-09 20:15:08

Piggybacking a bit off Dave's post, I primarily use the dual tread amps, and set one at about 60% gain and the other at 30% in order to get a nice blend of crunch and moderate gain.  I think varying the eq's on them fills in the frequencies nicely.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.