These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

POD X3 Live : USB Audio dropout problem(International User)
by Editable on 2009-05-14 03:58:50

Hi. I have the problem called 'usb dropout issue' in my POD X3L.

It's typical symptoms ; signals from usb connection cuts out abruptly(in 10min~ 1hr var. ), so

I can't hear any audio from PC and gearbox can't detect device until reboot POD.

I live in Korea, and I asked repair service to dealer(MIDI&SOUND CO.,LTD) about 2weeks ago.

but they said  "We can't repaire it yet. We got messages from Line6 - just said 'still working on it' "

and "We can exchange your POD to new one, but can't guarantee the new one works fine"

so, I got new POD. How great service!  lol

BUT the new one has same symptoms, too!   OMG...

Don't blame my PC. My friend's POD X3L works fine on my PC.

so, I called to SC again(Today). but I couldn't ask another exchange.

because they said "We can't exchange your POD again" very carefully. and "'can't repair it as ever."

I could ask for exchange harder.. but I was tired for this stupid circle of uncertainty..

how can I sure for another one works fine? even they can't.

I said "then I'll ask repair service when it available"

so they said "OK, but we're not sure when. still waiting official announcement from Line6"

But I read this thread ;
Re: USB drop out fix for overseas customers

It has come to our attention that some POD X3 Live units exhibit audio drop outs when streaming audio while connected via USB.

Line 6 has investigated the issue, discovered the root cause and released a verified hardware fix.

The USB audio drop out issue has a very specific symptom: audio output while recording or streaming abruptly stops and

will not return while your X3 Live is connected to your computer via USB.

IMPORTANT: This issue has been seen in some POD X3 Live units only.

It does not affect all POD X3 Live units or any POD X3 or POD X3 Pro units. 

If you are experiencing the USB audio drop out issue and live in the U.S., we can help you in one of two ways:

·         You can call us at 818-575-3600 M-F 8a-5p west coast time and arrange to send the unit to Line 6 for warranty repair

·         You can visit http://line6.com/support/serviceCenters/style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: ";"> to locate your nearest service center and arrange a warranty repair.

You will need to furnish the service center with a copy of your proof of purchase for this repair to be made under warranty.

Please keep in mind that sending your unit into Line 6 or bringing it to a local service center for this fix will mean you will be

without your POD X3 Live for at least two weeks, depending upon the turn-around time of the shop - so plan accordingly.

If you live outside of the U.S. please contact your local distributor, also found on our service centers page, for warranty repair information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

and  I read this;

5. Apr 27, 2009 12:38 PM in response to: forresal

Re: Looking for official statement regarding the USB fix for out of warranty X3L's

Hi,

You don't need a support ticket from us to have your POD repaired. We will cover you under warranty and

a technical bulletin has been added to our online service manuals so all of our authorized service centers have access to it.

Contact your local service center and mention to them that this is a warranty repair and that the repair procedure has been added to our online service manual.

If your service center will still not help you then please get back to me the name of the SC and I will make sure they are made aware of this. Thanks.

Line6Miller

(from http://line6.com/community/thread/6155?tstart=30)

Now, what should I do?

I just want normal POD X3L that works normally fine.  it's very simple request as customer. isn't it?

Best reguards

Re: POD X3 Live : USB Audio dropout problem(International User)
by TheRealZap on 2009-05-14 05:45:04

i'd simply print that out and take it with you...

their only real concern is that they will get paid for the service.

parts may not be readily available to them though... which may mean a lengthy wait...

but fixed is fixed... maybe you could get them to sort over the tech bulletin that is referenced and

order the parts... and call you when they come in... so you can at least keep the x3 in the meantime.

i just got mine fixed... its great!... you have every right to demand that yours gets fixed as well....

they just may not know about the tech bulletin.

by Editable on 2009-05-14 11:09:13

thank you, zap !!    so.. the fix really can fix the problem... It's very hopeful.

only SC can access that 'tech bulletin', right?  I should call them again...

by TheRealZap on 2009-05-14 11:33:05

not really an authority... but i'm reasonably sure that you are correct and that the tech bulletins are not available to the public only service centers.

by Hey_Joe on 2009-05-14 16:09:21

HaYun wrote:

thank you, zap !!    so.. the fix really can fix the problem...

My answer to that is a big YES!!!!

I had the fix done 2 weeks ago and I have tested it out in every way that it Dropped Out before and it IS FIXED. This is the first time in just about 2 years I have been able to record trouble free. Even just using GearBox to tweak and GuitarPort Online to play tracks caused it to drop out before and it's running GREAT now. From what I read about it before I sent it in,  Line6 found that replacing the old the 24 Mhz free running oscillator on the USB circuit for a powered (3.3V) 24 Mhz oscillator was the key to ending our problem. So once the SCs in Korea get that info you should be all set.

It's very hopeful.

only SC can access that 'tech bulletin', right?  I should call them again...

by alexitoj on 2009-07-20 09:22:00

Hello, Im from Bolivia and here we don't have Line 6 Dealer or Technical support. I bought my X3L  from a importer guy. but he don't give support.

How I can do?? How could fix this issue myself ??..

by silverhead on 2009-07-20 09:32:09

Line 6 warranties and repair servics are organized on a country/regional basis. To get yours fixed at minimal cost to you, you will need to get it to the closest authorized service centre in the country/region where it was (originally?) purchased. Sounds like you don't know where that is so you may need Line 6 to help you trace it based on the unit's serial number. Maybe they'll allow you to take it the nearest centre if it was originally purchased elsewhere - I don't know. In either case, you will have to pay the cost of shipping to/from that service centre but the repair itself will be free.

To get Line 6 technical support I suggest you post a new item and mark it as a question.

And no, you can't fix this yourself. You need a very specific part from Line 6 and detailed technical instructions, both of which are available only to authorized servce centres.

by andrey3010 on 2011-03-28 05:17:58

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

My question is,

Is it supposed to cost me something? Because I contacted with local line 6 support and the guy told me that it will cost me around 100$. It`s wierd because i bought my POD X3L around three months ago and I still have the warranty on him.

by Slaveckiy on 2011-07-21 12:27:04

I've got same problem. Living in Russia. And we got ONLY one service centre in Moskow. And they said that it gonna be around $250-300. Nice. Thanks Line6. )))

by Thomashy22 on 2012-04-05 01:21:12

Line 6 should be bending over backwards for customers above who spent their money on their highly priced defective product which is essentially trash with the hardware bug in question, nevermind charging them more.

by johnpicton on 2012-04-05 02:14:45

The charging issue isn't Line6 - they offer the fix free of charge (I had it done myself). The issue is with the re-sellers / service centers in the countries concerned either not being aware of the lifetime warrantee on this issue (if this is the case then insisting with them that they check the situation with Lin6 international - referring to Tech bulletin #52 - should resolve this) or with the re-sellers / service centers making "profit" out of this situation. If the latter is the case then individuals should be reporting them to Lin6 directly because if they are genuinely approved service centers or re-sellers the fix is free.

The spanner in the works is if you purchased the equipment in a region other than your own (either because it is not available in your region or is cheaper in other regions) as this is likely to involve shipping charges that could make the fix uneconomical.

by vinzetron on 2012-05-09 13:16:24

Hello everybody,

I recently second handedly bought a Pod X3 Live. Stupid as I was, I didn't consult any forums. Later I saw that everybody was talking about this audio-dropout problem. So I started to do some research, went looking for info about the hardwarefix and came up with nothing usefull. To bad, cause I studied electronics and want to do the hardwarefix myself. As the line 6-policy states that it doesn't give any support towards modifications done by customers, I hoped that the people in this blog could give me some comments. I read a few scrolls up that a change of oscillator would do the trick. Maybe I could give it a try. Changing a non-powered crystal to a powered one isn't that difficult as some people would think (I think ). It's just that I don't want to send my newly bought Pod to England, and wait for it for four weeks. I think I have anough experiance in elektronics considering I worked at Philips televisions (now TPVision) where I had to solder some verry difficult components. That's how I hope that maybe some line 6 employee will read my blog, and be found trustworthy enough to be given some information. I'd like to thank everybody in advance.

Yours sincerely,

musician and line6-fan

by blownspirit on 2012-08-02 23:15:30

VINZETRON ...........GOD BLESS YOU ..YOU, THE SMART SOUL...your comment makes me smiling by joy..finally some people look over their shoulders!! thanks again body..

Same Anger...I'm living in Algeria..north of africa..bought mine in france....while they bla bla bla bla ..yes I'm pointing people representing so called line6 customers services thing!! and don't forget to mention their endless apologies ..wow I'm too happy!!

what's in my own subject matter is that since 2 years ago my USB hardware port dropout!! I don't know the reason..maybe a flash which turns bad or my Pod simply decides one day to kill this part (of his holy body) to freak me out!!

anyway..contact those and that..I've got a lot of (oh sorry but..you may..etc) and finally I finish my race in Belgium..because the US Line6 guys said it's in Spain my safe-land, oh no..in England.. try to..I don't know where!! 2 years passed ..then one day I receive a mail saying that I have to send it back to Belgium..they consider that the unit is still under guarantee will fix it for free etc...but I must pay the package to and from Belgium which it coasts the same price of the unit itself when I bought it!! I said GOD damn you all!!

and like VINZETRON I always thought that I have to repair this f*** issue by myself..just need help..some information about circuit and electronic stuffs, it's not about a nuclear project or the new world order plan..this problem is on one unit!! it's incredible to admit to be aware of this and don't help people!! it's so hypocrite and unfair !! it's toooooooooo stupid.....!!! this is not moral at all.................

the unhappy blownspirit

by Mutha1967 on 2013-02-09 15:28:00

Hello all...

Can someone please post a copy of the Line 6 Technical Bulletin 052?  I would like to install this mod myself and it would be really handly to have the correct info.  I'd rather do this myself as I purchased the X3L 2nd hand so I imagine no warranty.  Also the nearest service centre is 900Km north of me, so a real pain to have to send it off.

Can someone help please?

Cheers....

by silverhead on 2013-02-09 18:30:52

The tech bulletin is only available to authorized Line 6 service centres. No users here have that info - only Line 6 themselves.

by johnpicton on 2013-02-10 02:00:38

I understand why you want to do it yourself (900k from nearest service station) but the fact that you bought it second hand isn't a problem - the fix is a free lifetime warrantee fix so you should be OK, you will have to cover transport though. Just make sure that the service center have confirmed in advance that they have the part in and that they are aware of the tech bulletin.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.