These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 PROBLEM RECORDING VIA USB
by DeFrezd on 2012-02-11 03:06:27

Whatup bros!

I'm having problems that literally drives me insane.

I have been using my USB-cable for recording since i first bought the device (Pod HD500), and it has been working fine.

I am using a Windows 7 computer and Sony Acid Pro 7 for recording.

My real amp's amp simulation (Vox AD100VT-XL) is bypassed so I use the Pod as an amp AND effect simulator.

Then what is the problem?

When I have recorded my guitar, and have a track - I want the playback sound to come from my computer speakers - NOT from the amp itself, as it's doing right now.

I have watched the tutorial video about how to connect and record via usb, here on Line 6, and I have set up everything correctly (Standard recording device is set to Line 6 Pod HD500 in my computer). In the recording program Acid Pro 7, there are two different alternatives of choosing audio device - ASIO POD HD500 and Windows Classic Wave Driver. When I choose the ASIO the playback sound is from my amplifier, when I choose the second the sound do comes from the computer speakers, but it sounds incredibly dirty and screamy. NOTE; I have set the Pod's output mode to studio/direct.

So, I wonder;

What am I doing wrong? And how exactly do I do to configure the recording settings?

Please help me.

Re: HD500 PROBLEM RECORDING VIA USB
by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-11 03:27:07

The latest version of the HD drivers come with a checkbox that reduces the gain of the signal from the POD via USB by 18dB.  I wonder what would happen if you reduced the gain and then tried it using the Windows Classic Wave Driver?

Some more details on the thread here --> http://line6.com/support/thread/78626">http://line6.com/support/thread/78626">http://line6.com/support/thread/78626

by DeFrezd on 2012-02-11 03:31:51

Thank you, I will try that - and let you know if it works!

by silverhead on 2012-02-11 06:58:44

If you are using the HD500 as your audio input device, then it must also be the audio output device. This is by definition of the ASIO protocol standard. Every true ASIO device/implementation requires this. So in your case, what you describe is exactly what I would expect: when using the ASIO driver the HD500 is both the input and output device, which is why you hear the output through your amp which is connected to the HD500 outputs. When you switch to the non-ASIO driver you can then assign the HD500 as the input device and your computer soundcard as the output device - but of course the sound quality is unpredictable because you are now mixing protocols, and the HD500 is designed to conform to the ASIO prootocol. I don't have any suggestions for improving the sound quality in this setup and I don't think you will have much success with that. Also, this setup is not supported by Line 6 and so you won't get any official help with that here.

I think you have 2 options:

- use the HD500 ASIO driver and learn to live with it being both the input and output device, as it is designed to be. This setup is supported by Line 6. You will get output from your computer speakers if you connect the speakers to the HD500 outputs (e.g., headphones). I highly recommend this setup for the best sound quality.

- use the other driver and also set your soundcard to be the audio input device. Connect the HD500 outputs to your computer soundcard inputs - do not use the HD500 USB connection. The sound won't be as good as the first option, but it may be better than you are getting now by mixing devices. I do not recommend this setup - the sound quality will be inferior because you are using your inferior computer soundcard.

by wetredbox on 2012-02-11 10:12:26

is there no way to separate the outputs so that while recording and playing the sound will come out of the amp and then upon playback the sould comes from monitors, to hear the mix?  That's the biggest thing for me.  i can see how then the device would be a good headphones only  or monitor only setup.  I suppose I could use my small mixer to rig up some division?

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-02-11 10:30:15

If you want to record via USB, then you are using the Pod's amp and cab modelling, so you should just record and monitor via your computer speakers. How are you even monitoring when you want to play along to say a drum track? Do the drums go through the guitar amp? By adding the amp you're hearing a different sound to the one that's recorded -you're adding a cabinet to the cabinet modelled sound - if you wanted that sound you would have to mic it. If you don't want to record that sound then just use the regular speakers connected to the Pod.

by DeFrezd on 2012-02-17 11:50:26

hey silverhead. Thank you for your answer, it was very very helpful!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.