These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 additional distortion pedal connection
by juanmelinao on 2012-02-15 05:08:32

Hi guys,

Im having problems to reach a god sound connecting my new wampler pinnacle distortion pedal, in to my pod hd500.

if i connect it between my guitar and the pod, its sounds ok, but isn´t sounds near than when i connect it, without the pod, straight from my guitar to the clean channel of my amp (MG250dfx). in that last situation, sounds great, with a lot of power, definition and zero ground noise.

if i connect my distortion pedal to the pod loop effect, (pod loop effect "send" to pedal "in", and loop effect "return" to pedal "out"), creating a FX link into the pod´s rig, it sounds very quiet, without power, like behind a wall, without anny definition and with a lot of noise. I trying adjust the parametres of the loop effect (send an return), but the difference almost isnt exist.

and if i connect the pedal after pod, betwen pod and amp, it sound like crap, with a lot of ground noise, and without power, like behind a wall, without anny definition.

Wich is the correct way to conenct it?

in all the situations i try connecting the pod directly to the amps mains imput or trough its effect loop.

Please tell me if im doing something wrong. I cant belive that my awsome new pedal cant work correctly with my pod!

Regards

Ps. please excuse my awful english.

Juanmelinao

El mensaje fue editado por: juanmelinao

El mensaje fue editado por: juanmelinao

Re: HD500 additional distortion pedal connection
by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-16 03:26:21

The answer is that you MAY be able to get the tone you like depending on how you are doing things  Forget about the POD Loop at the moment ... I don't think this will help you with this issue.

If you have the output level on your new pedal set high then it will be overdriving the input of whatever you plug it into.  Does the pedal only sound good when the Volume level is over half way?  If so, you are probably overdriving the input on your MG250dfx and that is what is giving you the tone you like.  The pod input will not behave like your MG when you overdrive it.  The only way to get that overdrive tone then might be to put the Pinnacle between the Pod and the Amp.  This may not work well with amp modelling, delays and similar.

HOWEVER

It may just be a gain/levels thing with your POD setup.   Do you use the POD for Amp Modelling or FX Only?   If Amp modelling then certainly the tones will be very different.  If you use the POD for FX only then you could try this:

• Hookup as Guitar ==> Pinnacle ==> Pod ==> Amp input.
  • Set the 1/4" Output switch to Amp.
  • Set the Normal/Pad switch to Normal (or Pad if you have very powerful guitar Pickups)
  • Set the Inputs in global settings to Input 1 = Guitar. Input 2 = Variax.  This  cools the input down a little.
  • Set the Output Type on the POD to 'Combo Power Amp' *
  • Set the Master Volume on the POD to 100%
  • Create a completely blank patch, no amps, nothing.
  • Set the mixer channel A to 0dB, Mixer Channel B to off (all the way down).  Pan Channel A to centre.

This should give a completely flat neutral patch with flat levels too.  Now try using your Pinnacle.  If it still sounds off, try increasing or decreasing the Mixer Channel A Gain and see what that does.

If you can find your levels 'sweet spot' then you can use this as the basis for your other patches.

*  Combo Power Amp makes sure that there are no EQs applied to the signal when using the POD for FX Only.  If you are using Amp Models then you will need to change this to 'Combo Front' .  If that messes up your tone again then try turning the EQ Settings within Combo front to 100% and see how that sounds.

by juanmelinao on 2012-02-16 08:54:58

Wow! that was a very complete answer! Thanks a lot.

I will try all the ways.

But what about the pod fxloop?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-16 09:02:10

There a few uses for the loop.  You can use it

• When you want to be able to switch one (or more) pedals in and out when you change patches
  • To put a delay or reverb in so that it rings out when you change patches (normally on the HD the reverb/delay trail gets killed dead when you change patch)
  • For 4 Cable Method hookups
  • For other stuff that I cannot think of right now.

I am not saying that the loop is not useful:   It just isn't going to help with the problem you are seeing

by juanmelinao on 2012-02-16 09:59:41

ok. roger that.

thaks a lot again, Jim.

Best regards!

by fechart on 2012-09-08 14:19:21

Hola Juan,

Supongo que hablas español... Yo también tengo un Pinnacle y la HD 500, y la combinación es fantástica! Solo que tienes que usar el método de los 4 cables (4CM).

Para ver cómo insertar el Pinnacle en el método de los 4 cables mira el diagrama en mi post:

http://line6.com/support/thread/85672?tstart=0

Laidea aquí es que con el 4CM puedes usar el preamp de tu Marshall, añadiendo efectos antes o después del mismo, o bien no usar el preamp y mandar la señal de la POD directo a la etapa de potencia de tu ampli (power amp); con esto último, puedes usar las simulaciones de amplificadores de la POD.

El método es sensacional, vale la pena que lo pruebes, y si necesitas ayuda sobre cómo manejar los volumenes, etc., escríbeme por aquí o a fechart@yahoo.es

También Jimsreynolds, usuario de este foro, tiene un documento muy completo e interesante acerca del método de los 4 cables: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2522

Lasconexiones que tienes que hacer son las siguientes:

Guitarra - POD Guitar IN

POD FX Send - Pinnacle IN

Pinnacle OUT - Marshall Input

Marshall FX Send - POD FX Return

POD 1/4" OUT - Marshall FX Return

Con esto lo que logras es tener el Pinnacle + el preamp del Marshall en el loop de efectos de la POD, y la POD conectada al Power Amp del Marshall. De este modo te sonará igual que cuando conectas el Pinnacle directamente al canal Clean de tu Marshall.

Cuando quieras usar el Pinnacle + el preamp de tu marshall, tienes que insertar el bloque de FX LOOP en la cadena de señal del POD HD EDIT.

Bueno, hay mucho más para hablar sobre este tema, si quieres contáctame y me extenderé más!

Saludos!

Flavio Echart

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.