These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 looper live -do you use it?
by lowyaw on 2012-02-16 05:37:55

i wonder if anyone uses the looper function live? how do you guys do it?

Re: HD500 looper live -do you use it?
by Mincer on 2012-02-16 06:35:42

The way it is set up now, I can use it for basic loops involving static chord progressions when playing solo acoustic guitar. It is easy to get in and out of the loop, and Line6 thankfully included the 'play once' button, so on the last repetition of the chord progression, you don't have to be too picky about when you press the button to end the loop. They carried this idea from the DL4 and M series, which works really well.

What they didn't carry over from the older pedals is the ability to control the volume level of the loop with the exp pedal. Abrupt endings to very dense loops (which the HD is very capable of) is a pretty jarring sound to an audience. It would make more sense to fade out the loop while playing live on top of it. So if you are the type of loopist who uses the loops for textures or improvisations, the current revision (1.43) of the firmware makes the HD crippled in the loop department.

by catalano on 2012-02-16 09:10:17

Mincer, what do you mean by 'crippled'? Did something change with 1.43 or are you just unhappy with the looper in general?

by Mincer on 2012-02-16 19:50:15

Nothing changes with the looper in the current update. And I do like it, but I think not porting over the expression pedal control over it from the M series and the DL4 cripples the looper for those who use loops for more than static chord progressions. My complaint is that the HD's looper is 'crippled' compared to the one on, say, the M13 and the DL4. Sonically, it is the same, but the HD's designers hadn't (yet) programmed the same functionality. I would absolutely love the HD and use it for all looping gigs if they added this (so would a lot of other loopists), but for now I have to make due with a DL4 and a handful of pedals.

by danerada on 2012-02-17 09:48:39

I don't use mine live. I use mine for more of a practice tool.

So if you added and exp pedal, there is no option to set the control over the looper to be handled by the added exp pedal?

by Octo777 on 2012-02-17 13:35:40

I personally use it quite a bit live with my acoustic duo which is just me on guitar and vocalist so I'm able to use loops to back up certain things and make it more interesting.

We do cover of Foo Fighters "Best Of You" and I will record the first time round the chorus on the fly and then play the octave harmony parts over the loop.

For a cover of Evanescences "My Immortal" I record a loop of the first time round the chords for the chorus, which also happen to be the same chords for accompanying the solo and this allows me to play the solo with myself. Haha.

For some songs I will record a loop and then switch to a bass guitar sound on my Variax Acoustic to play over the chords and then fade out gradually for outros! (It's fun watching people get very confused at that!!)

by silverhead on 2012-02-17 13:43:03

Do you also use the HD500 for your vocals (dual path)? I presume not, since I think you would also be recording the vocals while recording the chorus - and you probably don't want the vocals played back while soloing over the recorded chorus.

by Octo777 on 2012-02-17 16:31:59

Nah, we did toy with the idea of having dual path set up for those patches but when going through the logisitcs hit on the issue that you highlighted.

We are hoping to pick up a TC Helicon Voicelive Touch real soon, primarily for the vocal harmonizer, but also so my vocalist can control her own effects as well as possibly record some of her own loops independantly too.

Not sure if it would be possible, but it would be interesting if in future updates we were able to have more control over the in's and outs of the looper and to be able to choose what inputs are recorded and to be able to control the volume of the loops regardless of whether they are recorded Pre or Post.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.