These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Sonic Port / Mobile In

Mobile In for stereo recording
by bbotond on 2012-02-20 08:58:24

I'm wondering if it's possible to use mobile in with an iPhone4 to record longer audio clips (e.g. DJ sets) via the stereo line input using a compatible software. Has anyone tried it? Which app is able to record hours of stereo audio? Thanks!

Re: Mobile In for stereo recording
by silverhead on 2012-02-20 09:40:52

The length/duration of the audio you can record depends entirely on your computer. I expect Garage Band is able to do the software  job, but your computer has to be powerful enough (processor speed, RAM) to handle the sample rate of the audio Mobile In is feeding it and it has to have enough storage (disk) space at the given sample rate to handle the large file size.

Mobile In doesn't know or care how many minutes/hours of recording you are doing. As long as it's connected it is powered on, and as long as there's a Line In connected it is feeding the incoming signal to your computer,  even if that signal is silence, and Mobile In doesn't know or care what your computer is doing with that signal.

by timothybhewittesq on 2012-02-22 10:50:00

Let me answer one part of that questiona and second the other.

I'm using an iPhone 4 (not S), Mobile In and GarageBand

As for the duration - In garageband and all you have to do is set the 'song setting' from the default 8 bars to 'Automatic'.  The length of time it can record is based on your free space, it just keeps recording.

Now to ask again:

Can this thing record stereo?

It has a stereo in, Garagband seems to light up with 2 rows of level meters, but anything I bounce / export is in mono!  Can anyone walk us through using this?

I want to keep this in my bag to record solo acoustic shows with vocal on one side and acoustic on the other.  Please let me know how to do this.

by Line6Don on 2012-03-02 09:40:53

+1 to timothybhewittesq.

As he mentioned, the length of time it can record is based on your free space available on your iOS device and battery life available at the time.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.