These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

VSTi in Laptop and POD HD for live use?
by Kupsik on 2012-02-21 11:32:00

Hi,

in addition to guitar, I'm also keyboard player and recently I was thinking about using some VSTi instruments live on my laptop. I use POD HD500 (and it's ASIO drivers) home and I don't have any problem with it, but I have following question: Does anyone has long-term experiences with using (any) POD HD as soundcard for laptop (or normal computer) with VSTi instruments loaded in it live on stage? It seems, that drivers are well-done, but I would like to have relevant information from someone with those experiences.

Thanks alot.

Re: VSTi in Laptop and POD HD for live use?
by meambobbo on 2012-02-22 19:16:45

I'm not 100% but I think VSTi's are processed mainly on your CPU, so it shouldn't matter what soundcard you use - I don't think the Pod would be anymore of a bottleneck than if you were just playing music through it.

by Kupsik on 2012-02-22 21:29:07

Sure, VSTi's are processed by CPU, but my question was more focused on stability of ASIO drivers and POD - Laptop connection. Maybe question wasn't that clear what I was asking. I have experience with ASIO drivers run for let's say 1-2 hours, but I was hoping someone here has experience with running them for whole gig - 6-10 hours...

I haven't experienced any problem like glitches, clips, strange noise or anythink bad at all, but longer you run it, bigger chance they will appear I think...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-23 01:53:23

JanKupsa wrote:

I was hoping someone here has experience with running them for whole gig - 6-10 hours...

With a gig that long, I don't think I would be so much worried about the ASIO setup breaking down as me ... or my audience

by Kupsik on 2012-02-23 09:06:02

We play a lot of wedding parties, birthday parties etc., and it usually starts at 4-6 pm and last to 2 am and they didn't give us almost any rest ;-)

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-23 09:07:49

In which case yeah, I see your point

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.