These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Leaking External Vol Pedal w/ HD500 + DecimatorGstring + 4CM
by bjoecool on 2012-02-22 08:19:01

I just integrated the Dunlop DVP1 volume pedal into my 4-cable method setup (see picture link below). I currently only use the HD500 expression pedal for pitch shifting / dive bombs, not for volume. I am happy with the DVP1, but in my current setup, I can still just barely hear the guitar sound (with preamp and effects) coming through the speaker cabinet when the volume pedal is full heal down. I have tested straight Guitar-VolumePedal-Amp, and full heal down is dead silent. I want to have delay trails when I drop the volume in the middle of a note (this currently works), and have full distortion at all volume pedal positions (this currently works). Any suggestions on placement of the volume pedal, etc to get dead silence in heal down with my setup?

Thanks for your help!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxNTSVDUqmaWYmM4MjlkNjctMzU2Zi00MTk5LWI0NmEtZGQ4ZDA1ZDZmYzlh

Re: Leaking External Vol Pedal w/ HD500 + DecimatorGstring + 4CM
by phil_m on 2012-02-22 08:26:29

Well, that' a passive volume pedal, and it's probably using a pot with a higher resistance, so it would most likely want to be first in your signal chain. Something like the Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal with the 25K pot might work better in your application.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-02-22 09:11:08

Your problem is your amp.  Even though you've set the mix of your series/parallel effects loop on your Marshall to 100% wet, there will be some bleed through.  I had this happen to me with my TSL100, JVM410H, and JVM215C.

To be clear, the problem is the amp's effects loop itself.  It will never be 100% wet, even when you set it that way.  There's always a tiny bit of dry signal bleed through, and that's what you're hearing, especially on higher gain settings.

I had this problem with my Marshalls when running the HD500, GT-10, Axe-Fx, and normal pedal board.  It is not unique to the HD500.

by bjoecool on 2012-02-22 09:37:56

Thanks, Karl. I can live with it, just wanted to be sure. At least I know that I don't need to change my setup.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-02-22 09:40:52

Yeah, it wasn't horrible for me, but it could be slightly annoying.  Any annoyance was offset by the goodness of the amps themselves.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-22 09:55:38

Interesting.  I run a JVM and never noticed .... but then I never really use a volume pedal so hey ho.

That parallel loop is a pain in the rear end.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-26 16:11:49

Yes, Karl - you are absolutely right.   I stuck one pedal hookup cable into FX Send and another into FX Return with the ends hanging loose then engaged the loop.  Even with the Mix at 100% wet you could hear the bleed through.  Very annoying.  I had previously suggested this to bjoecool in another forum and he had experienced the same thing.

I am pretty sure that this contributes to a slight phasiness in my 4CM hookup tone too which is more than just annoying.  I am going to investigate mods now.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.