These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider V Wishlist
by IRQ7 on 2012-02-23 16:15:36

I'm guessing the Spider V is a year away, or less. Here's what I'd like to see:

* Effects loop.

* Good and transparent speaker, to make the amp a good platform for external modelers (4CM or into FX return).

What features are you hoping for?

Re: Spider V Wishlist
by jjack972 on 2012-02-23 22:24:26

A USB port on the amp itself for updates for those who don't have the MKII pedals.

by fflbrgst on 2012-02-24 05:38:10

Sorry, but as the Spiders are modeling guitar amps, I think a 'transparent speaker' would not be desired.  I guess an extra DSP section for speaker emulation could be employed.  If you want to use an external modeler, use a dedicated clean amp (keyboard, PA, etc).

I'd like to see:

a way to keep the speaker(s) on when you are using the DI/headphone output.

a way to plug in an external speaker while still using the internal one(s) - there must be a way to adress the impedance issues!

put the headphone/DI ouput and CAT5 jacks on the front panel (Spider 75 and up)

address the continued Monkey problems (not recognizing gear hooked up)

by Scott57 on 2012-02-24 10:59:20

The headphone jack in the front panel.

A Sim card/USB port to play backing tracks.

by IRQ7 on 2012-02-24 16:16:56

fflbrgst, I've read that the Fender Mustang 3 amp has a rather transparent power amp section, and makes for a decent platform for modelers. E.g.: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=952546

">http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=952546">http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=952546

by jjack972 on 2012-02-24 19:30:07

Oh yeah...and use pots with a little more physical resistance for the front controls so they are less likely to move (and "wake up" an undesired setting) from vibration while playing at loud volume.

by fflbrgst on 2012-02-26 15:27:50

The Spider amp section is transparent, too - plug an MP3 player (or even a keyboard) into the MP3/CD input!  You could do the same by plugging in your external modeler/FX unit, but then why bother with a Spider amp?

by fflbrgst on 2012-02-26 15:29:00

Good point, jjack!   I think making the knob that wakes up the editing more than a 'push but you can't feel movement' would be good, too!

by jjack972 on 2012-02-26 16:42:51

Oh and hey! One more thing. I'd really like to see Line 6 upgrade to metal handles on the Spider cabinets as opposed to the plastic that they use now!! I already broke one of my handles, and thankfully I caught the cab, but I was completely shocked and disappointed when I was left with what equates to nothing more than a plastic toilet paper roll in my hand when it broke!! I was able to repair the handle with some JB Weld liquid steel, but come on guys...even my cheap Crate 4x12 cabs have metal handles!!

by IRQ7 on 2012-02-28 09:41:55

Because the amp might have some good tones by itself, the FX/modeling could be complementary to the external FX/modeler, it could be useful as backup, useful for simpler setups, and also because there aren't many decent amplification options in that price range.

by jprodorutti on 2012-07-04 07:51:42

More M class effects, like seeker and particle verb. Also, put the acoustic amp from the pod xt back. It is really useful and the main reason I haven't upgraded to the hd.

by KernalKlink on 2012-11-19 23:12:40

Basically, put the POD HD into an amp. Put in a USB connector so it can be updated and patches/updates added without having to buy a footswitch also. Will it be out soon? How many years was it between the spider III and IV?

by pmaillot on 2012-11-29 02:52:04

Hello,

Here's something Line 6 could probably add, with a little change to the routing the MP3/line entry is taking today. Assume we plug a mike+preamp in the mp3 input, and the input is routed through the AD converters too (not the case today), Line 6 could then probably model Peter Frampton's favorite effect: Mouth Tube . Could be interesting.

As for people having problems with handles and such: I agree stronger models would be better, especially on the 212 or 2x75W combos. I have equiped my 3 spiders with "Marshall-like" medal handles ($5 each) on the side of the amps, and added wheels. Trust me it's really worth the small investment and can save your back!

P1020806.jpg

by beunme on 2012-12-17 14:54:15

wouldnt a round foam rubber washer thick enough to provide the desired resistance do the trick on the amps we have now.personaly i havent had this problem but my mechanical background tells me this COULD be a rather easy and cheap fix,get some foam rubber and cut you out some washers ..you got to admit it is worth a try.pull the knob off put on the foam washer and let her rip

by fflbrgst on 2012-12-18 05:45:59

Foam tends to be a bit weak, and rips easily.  closed cell neoprene sponge might work (as the o-ring solution does).  Wish-list:  make the knobs so they aren't so 'free moving'!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.