These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Mag pickup replacements on the JTV-69
by horserader007 on 2012-02-24 10:17:16

Just got my JTV-69 in and it's AMAZING!!! Except one thing, the mag pickups in it are lacking quite a bit, they sound good, but have low output and I can't deal with that.

So my question is, how hard is it to swap out the 3 pickups for new one using 3 4 Conductor wiring pickups.

Does anyone have any internal wiring diagrams or anything for it b/c I also want to put a push pull pot in for the volume and tone as well, just for the mag pickups.

Please let me know if any of this would be possible.

Thank you!

Re: Mag pickup replacements on the JTV-69
by Line6Hugo on 2012-02-24 17:09:42

Unfortunately, swapping out the magnetic pickups on the JTV guitars will void the manufactuter warranty and we do not provide wiring schematics for any of our gear.  Have you tried raising your pickups to see if that will provide greater output?

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by horserader007 on 2012-02-24 17:14:41

I have not tried yet, and I don't care about the warranty anyway. Just needed to know if it could be done or not.

by toasterdude on 2012-02-25 13:50:30

I am toying with the idea of getting a 69 off ebay. I would want to change the pickups as well. Does anyone know if there is room for a neck humbucker? I want to put prails in neck and bridge and maybe a lipstick in the middle.

If I pull the trigger, I would also have the guitar stripped and refinished in a more unique color etc. I would also swap the neck for a warmoth compound radius tele neck.

While I am at it the pickguard would have to go as well. Lol.

So, I would swap pick ups, pick guard, neck, tuners and refinish the darn thing. One step shy of a transplant I guess. lol

by johnnyayyy on 2012-02-25 22:45:06

toasterdude wrote:

I am toying with the idea of getting a 69 off ebay. I would want to change the pickups as well. Does anyone know if there is room for a neck humbucker? I want to put prails in neck and bridge and maybe a lipstick in the middle.

If I pull the trigger, I would also have the guitar stripped and refinished in a more unique color etc. I would also swap the neck for a warmoth compound radius tele neck.

While I am at it the pickguard would have to go as well. Lol.

So, I would swap pick ups, pick guard, neck, tuners and refinish the darn thing. One step shy of a transplant I guess. lol

Did you ever finish your JTV Explorer transplant? Also, as I recall you had two JTV 59s... did you transplant both of them?

by Line6david on 2012-02-27 16:12:55

Hi,

As Hugo previously stated the replacing the pickups would be a user modification and would void the warranty. If you are uncomfortable with replacing the pickups yourself you should contact a guitar tech.

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by DrFunk on 2012-05-23 10:26:22

Hi Folks, this is my first post here. I have the Tyler 69 with Pod HD 500 and go out to a DT 25 and a Spider Valve MkII. I have been using the "Dream Rig" for~ 5 weeks and I just Love it. But I don't really care for the tone on the mag PUs. I have ordered a Duncan Customshop Trembucker in Mint to match the single coils. I am also considering to order some Fender Customshop 'Fat 50's' to replace the single coils. This would give me basically the elctronics on a Fender Customshop 'Showmaster'

Strat. I had one of those a few years ago made by Art Esparza who was one of their master Luthiers. It sounded great ..

.I understand about the warranty. But I have never had aproblem with my Line 6 gear and I have used alot of their stuff. A tech at a local guitar store will do the replacements for me and has ordered the Trembucker. I must say I don't care for the aesthetics of a black Humbucker with 2 mint or cream single coils so having them match and sound good is important to me. Otherwise the models on the JTV 69 sound quite good. I had the Variax 700 and I find the Acoustics sound better especially after the 1.82 FW update.

by DrFunk on 2012-05-28 11:07:52

By the way I found the wiring schematic for all 3 JTV guitars on this site in the documents section. So I don't understand what Line 6 Hugo means that L6 never shows their wiring schematics (maybe he means for the Piezo PUs for the models).

Anyway, I am swapping out the mag PUs on the JTV 69 as mentioned in my previous post. I will need to get a special new 5 way selector and it will be wired as: Bridge, Bridge- Middle, Bridge- Rear, Middle- Rear, and Rear. Same as on a Fender Customshop Showmaster Strat. That's why I ordered Duncan Custom Trembucker and Fender Customshop "Fat 50's" (2) all in Cream.

This way I have the elctronics of a Fender Customshop Showmaster Strat which I can blend with any of the Line 6 models.

by LarryLion on 2012-09-10 14:12:19

Funky

I want to replace my JTV's pickups, should have done a search before.  Did you actually go through with the mod, and how is the hum?  I don not like the JTV-69's standard mag pickups at all, and would like to have a current Strat sound, preferably noiseless, but I'm afraid that the humbucker (dual) pickup replacement in the bridge position will be an issue for something like, say, the Lace Dually (which I like).  Do you have any pictures of your JTV you can share, close-ups of the pup job, assuming you wnet through with it?

Regards

Larry

by DrFunk on 2012-09-10 15:27:33

Hey Larry,

Yeah, I did change the PUPs. I put a Duncan Custom trembucker inthe Bridge and 2 Fender Customshop Fat 50's in the middle and neck positions. All the pickups are white so they match. I didn't like the sound of any of the JTV PUPs so these new ones are a significant upgrade. In fact,they are thePUPs that Fender put on their Customshop Showmaster Strats. This PU configuration sounds really good. Although I must admit there is more hum. So your idea of putting the SCN PUPs on is even a better idea. I have SCNs on 2 Deluxe USA strats and they sound very good. The fat 50's seem to have more frequency response and are more open sounding. the SCNs are more compressed which sound better for alot of strat sounding tones. And. as I have said the Fat 50's are pretty noisy.

You might check into diMarzio, as they have something like a stock PAF that fits into the bridge. It turns out that james Tyler is using an unusual size humbucker acording to my friend who is a guitar tech. This will come a lot cheaper than the Duncan custom Trembucker. And, you can probably transplant the SCNs out of another guitar if you have them in one. Anyway not nearly as expensive as the Customshop PUPs

The actual PU swap was not so difficult. I got the wiring diagrams for the James Tyler mag PUPs on this site in documents section. My friend did the surgery. He said it did not interfere with the Line 6 wiring at all since that is all off the Piezo. The only problem left for me was that I wanted the wiring of the mags on the JTV 69 to be like that on my Showmaster strat: Bridge, Bridge-Middle, Bridge-Neck, Middle- Neck, and Neck. (and I have a coil tap on the Trembucker as well). But the Five-way switch IS so involved with the Tyler setup that I would have had to put in a special five-way switch to do it, and I still might have messed up the Tyler stuff. So, i aborted that idea.  Wisely I think.

Earlier in this post Line 6 Hugo warned that changing PUPs could void the warranty. I believe that may not be the case if none of the Line 6 wiring is tampered with and the guitar is not damaged. None the less, I could not live with the Tyler PUPs so I am happy that I have swapped them out. The new mag PUPs sound really good and I have the best of both worlds- a great sounding modern strat and all the Line 6 modelling goodness in 1 guitar!

by LarryLion on 2012-10-12 09:04:47

Funky

Sorry I did not respond to this earlier.  After much research, I decided to go with a set of Kinmans, a noiseless boutique pickup, made in Australia.  Landed cost probably 20% more than the SCNs or Duncans, but I read and heard good things about the Kinmans, and the owner himself has done the Variax mods, and is familiar with the JTV.  As for warranty voiding, well, my guitar is out of warranty in January, so I'm saving the mods until then - and my dealer here in Canada  has an extended warranty policy, which they said they will honor as long as I let them do the install.  I might just do that ...

All the best

Larry

by DrFunk on 2012-10-12 09:13:45

Thanks for answering JB's thread Larry. I read the post about the kinman PUs. Sounds like a great idea. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.