These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Problems after update with Patch sharing
by jerryratpack on 2012-02-25 11:39:28

I just updated my POD HD Bean with the latest for both Flash and Monkey... Now some of the presets I imported ( 3 total ) say " New Tone (RESET) ... I am ok with that, but when I try to reload them from my hard drive, I get an error message that says " Invalid data found in one or more patches. These patches have been reset and named "New Tone (Reset).

Anyone have ideas how to correct this ?

Thanks

Jerry

Re: Problems after update with Patch sharing
by jerryratpack on 2012-02-25 11:44:20

I just noticed I was suppossed to click "No" to saving presets ? I clicked YES to save them ... Do I roll back and reinstall ?

by glenneke on 2012-02-25 11:50:46

I had the same problem. I installed the previous version v1.06 of pod edit and it worked.

by jerryratpack on 2012-02-25 12:02:59

I guess I will roll back to that version then.. Its funny, I noticed some it lets me copy over and some it dont.

Thanks for the info.

by silverhead on 2012-02-25 15:05:33

This issue is tricky, and it affects presets of a certain sort (I don't know exactly what sort) that were created using all versions HD Edit prior to the latest v1.08 and all versions of Pod HD firmware prior to the latest v1.43. These latest versions of firmware and Edit together fixed a serious problem caused by previous software versions that permitted invalid data to be stored in prestets, occasionally resulting in a very loud high-pitched squeal being emitted from the headphones/monitors.

This latest software/firmware versions fixed this problem with invalid data - but at the cost of refusing to load previous presets that contained such data. That's why you are getting the message and why the preset is being reset - the old preset contains the invalid data that causes the problem.

You can revert back to Edit v1.06 and load up the offending preset again - but you are then subject to the high-squeal issue again. And you will effectively be stuck at Edit v1.06, because future versions of Edit will retain the high-squeal fix. This means that you won't be able to use Edit to access the previously announced new features coming in firmware v2.0 (which will also have an associated Edit update).

My best suggestion at this point is to revert back to 1.06 temporarily, and run it offline (i.e.. no HD device connected). This will protect you from the potential high-squeal. Now load your saved copy of the preset and  manually copy (yes, write down!)  the detailed settings of your preset. Do this with all affected presets You can then update to the latest editor and recreate these settings manually, and go forward with your set of clean presets (no invalid data).

by jerryratpack on 2012-02-25 15:52:13

Hey silver, Thanks for the suggestions. I did roll back to 1.06 and everything works. I see what you are saying about the potential squeal situation. Fortunately, I never had that happen, but like you said, some of the presets contained the bad data that could cause it.

I might just have to do the "Manual thing" if I want any of those presets moving forward..

Thanks again

by meambobbo on 2012-02-25 21:18:50

i haven't updated yet, because I knew L6 would have some garbage like this in the update.  COME ON.  If a previous version of edit can load the patch, and I can manually write down all the settings, signal chain, etc. THERE'S NO REASON A PIECE OF SOFTWARE CAN'T CONVERT AN OLD PATCH FORMAT WITH "INVALID DATA" TO THE NEW FORMAT WITHOUT BUGS.  How on Earth does it take Line 6 months and months to release a fix to ONE BUG and end up making something so user unfriendly...

by glenneke on 2012-02-26 00:55:15

Another serious problem that i forgot to say is that all previous presets versions on customtone can not be loaded in edit. I tried it before i rolled back to v.106. I don't know if that's the case with all pod users here on the forum?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-26 03:21:25

I dunno .  In their shoes I would be working on the fimrware 2.0 and supporting goodies (or probably whatever comes next, by now).   1.43 was a bugfix release so why sugar coat it?  Would be nice to see something a little more smooth for 2.0 though.

by Warfare on 2012-03-03 02:29:06

Same for me with HD Desktop (see http://line6.com/support/thread/81111?tstart=0) !

What a frustration ... can't use my previous patch (some of them were *.h5e files) ... C'mon Line 6 !!!

by carlada on 2012-03-03 13:13:48

it's the same for me!!! It's a disaster really!

LINE6 where are you???????

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-03-03 13:42:22

carlada wrote:

it's the same for me!!! It's a disaster really!

LINE6 where are you???????

Let's be realistic here.  There was a problem with the POD squealing for some users and the effects of uncontrollable squealing were potentially serious. 

The current firmware version 1.43 and Edit version 1.08 were released AFTER the announcement of f/w version 2.0 as an interim fix for the squeal issue. 

Firmware version 2.0 and I would guess an updated version of Edit are yet to be released and have probably been delayed by the need to issue the current interim fixes. 

I am 100% sure that Line 6 software developers are alive and well and are spending their time getting the next firmware version ready for release in the form of f/w v 2.00 and as part of that release the fixes that were put in place for v1.43 and Edit v1.08 will need to be included and perhaps refined.  It's not as straightforward as you appear to think in terms of producing brand new set of features whilst trying to ensure that nothing else gets broken in the process.  There is not only the need to produce new code, but a need to test.

Disaster??? It may not be ideal, but disaster?  Not really.  You can get around this issue quite easily by simply using an older version of the editor which is still available from the Downloads section.  You also have to remember that whilst it's always been possible to exchange patches freely between the POD HD500 family trio, it has never been supported by Line 6 as there's always been the possibility that some patches may produce unexpected behaviour when run on a different unit.  It may be that interchangeability of patches is restored at the next release - I hope so, but because of the 'invalid data' potential that obviously existed prior to the current interim fix, that might no longer be possible for patches created under earlier firmware versions.  I'm afraid we'll have to wait and see.

Nick

by carlada on 2012-03-04 00:00:25

Ok, ok…it isn’t a disaster…but a half disaster?!?!?!

I know that Line 6 software developers are alive and well (thanks to GOD), and I suppose  they are under pression for  the problems there are…But from my point of view, the situation is disheartening... just reached an equilibrium point, sudden need to lose a lot of time to get everything working… and the future is no certainty.

I hope that you say it’s true and become reality…

Carlo

by Warfare on 2012-03-04 02:13:40

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the fast reply. Of course, we have big expectations for F/W 2.0 and the associated version of HD Edit.

Anyway, in my mind there are different level of needs, let's say basic needs and premium needs.

- New amps, new functions and so on are clearly premium needs, and it's the way Line 6 can increase Pod HD customers.

- Being able to create patch, to share them beetween Pod HD products (at least beetween Pod HD Dektop and Pod HD 500) and most of all being able to rely on the growing custome tones library is a basic need.

That's why I wanted to share my point of view here. Of course I know that Line 6 does great job, and I'm pretty sure that they're working hard on new updates. And I agree with you, rollling back to HD Edit solve the problem (at least temporary).

But, let's be realistic and take a look to the Custom Tone library (datas from today) :

Pod HD Desktop :                104 Patches   (including      0 compatible tones)

Pod HD Pro :                         63 Tones      (including      0 compatible tones)

Pod HD 300 :                        701 Tones     (including   273 compatible tones)

Pod HD 400 :                        701 Tones     (including   428 compatible tones)

Pod HD 500 :                      2602 Tones     (including       0 compatible tones)

This is the point. There are no compatible tones for 3 products of the range (Desktop, Pro and 500).

The biggest tone library is 500 one, and no compatibility with others ranges.

The Pod HD Pro and Desktop are not sharing any compatibility with others products, that's a pity regarding the fact they have the smallest library.

The smallest tone library is Pod HD Pro with 63 tones.

So, I really hope that Line 6 will be able to bring us a common platform for HD family patches (at least for HD Desktop, Pro and 500).

This is really frustrating to not being able to share patches with friends ... this is why Custom Tone exist, this is why Pod is so much popular.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-03-04 02:44:51

Warfare wrote:

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the fast reply. Of course, we have big expectations for F/W 2.0 and the associated version of HD Edit.

Anyway, in my mind there are different level of needs, let's say basic needs and premium needs.

- New amps, new functions and so on are clearly premium needs, and it's the way Line 6 can increase Pod HD customers.

- Being able to create patch, to share them beetween Pod HD products (at least beetween Pod HD Dektop and Pod HD 500) and most of all being able to rely on the growing custome tones library is a basic need.

That's why I wanted to share my point of view here. Of course I know that Line 6 does great job, and I'm pretty sure that they're working hard on new updates. And I agree with you, rollling back to HD Edit solve the problem (at least temporary).

But, let's be realistic and take a look to the Custom Tone library (datas from today) :

Pod HD Desktop :                104 Patches   (including      0 compatible tones)

Pod HD Pro :                         63 Tones      (including      0 compatible tones)

Pod HD 300 :                        701 Tones     (including   273 compatible tones)

Pod HD 400 :                        701 Tones     (including   428 compatible tones)

Pod HD 500 :                      2602 Tones     (including       0 compatible tones)

This is the point. There are no compatible tones for 3 products of the range (Desktop, Pro and 500).

The biggest tone library is 500 one, and no compatibility with others ranges.

The Pod HD Pro and Desktop are not sharing any compatibility with others products, that's a pity regarding the fact they have the smallest library.

The smallest tone library is Pod HD Pro with 63 tones.

So, I really hope that Line 6 will be able to bring us a common platform for HD family patches (at least for HD Desktop, Pro and 500).

This is really frustrating to not being able to share patches with friends ... this is why Custom Tone exist, this is why Pod is so much popular.

I completely understand your perspective and that of Carlo in the post above yours.  However , like you, I hope this is only a temporary situation.  We can easily work around it for now with Edit 1.06 versions which means you can still share patches with friends.  I am 100% certain that the issue will have been brought directly to the attention of the developers, so they will be aware I'm sure, and hopefully by the time firmware version 2.00 is released along with probably a new set of editors, it will have been resolved

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-03-04 03:02:17

carlada wrote:

Ok, ok…it isn’t a disaster…but a half disaster?!?!?!

I know that Line 6 software developers are alive and well (thanks to GOD), and I suppose  they are under pression for  the problems there are…But from my point of view, the situation is disheartening... just reached an equilibrium point, sudden need to lose a lot of time to get everything working… and the future is no certainty.

I hope that you say it’s true and become reality…

Carlo

Nope   The word 'disaster' in any form doesn't come close.   I think that word is more reserved for things like earthquakes, famine and stuff of that ilk.

'Annoyance' is probably a better word.  Yes it's a bit disappointing that (hopefully) temporarily, because of unforeseen circumstances (squeal issue), the interim fix on the editors doesn't quite work as before, but as long as we take precautions to potentially protect hearing and equipment, it shouldn't hurt us to simply use the older editor in the short term to transfer tones should it?

I know it's already been raised directly for the people developing the new firmware to see as an issue, so until the new v2.00 firmware and editors are released, I think it's probably better to wait and see what happens   Line 6 do listen to their customers.  Let's not forget that.

by MerlinFL on 2012-03-11 20:53:29

Nick - I'm calling a FOUL on you.  you are using words such as "interim" and several times wrote "whilst" as well as the use of the Old English spelling of "behavior" as "behaviour".  As well as many other multi-syllabic words in your postings.  i think you should reconsider your choice of verbiage to indicate your thought processes and rational for writing whatever you choose to offer your wisdom about.

How are we supposed to help lthese POD HD users if you are going to write stuff like that on here??  I mean seriously??   

Hey it's really late after a long weekend of performing - which I am VERY thankful to have - but I'm a bit silly for lack of sleep.  Just felt like being silly as I've got nothing new to seriously write about.  My problems I've found with the latest versions of everything for the PO DHD gear and my JTV guitars have not been corrected and I'm rolling back so I can use my VDI cable again.  Manual patch changing stunk to do after being very well spoiled!!

Let's be realistic here.  There was a problem with the POD squealing for some users and the effects of uncontrollable squealing were potentially serious. 

The current firmware version 1.43 and Edit version 1.08 were released AFTER the announcement of f/w version 2.0 as an interim fix for the squeal issue. 

Firmware version 2.0 and I would guess an updated version of Edit are yet to be released and have probably been delayed by the need to issue the current interim fixes. 

I am 100% sure that Line 6 software developers are alive and well and are spending their time getting the next firmware version ready for release in the form of f/w v 2.00 and as part of that release the fixes that were put in place for v1.43 and Edit v1.08 will need to be included and perhaps refined.  It's not as straightforward as you appear to think in terms of producing brand new set of features whilst trying to ensure that nothing else gets broken in the process.  There is not only the need to produce new code, but a need to test.

Disaster??? It may not be ideal, but disaster?  Not really.  You can get around this issue quite easily by simply using an older version of the editor which is still available from the Downloads section.  You also have to remember that whilst it's always been possible to exchange patches freely between the POD HD500 family trio, it has never been supported by Line 6 as there's always been the possibility that some patches may produce unexpected behaviour when run on a different unit.  It may be that interchangeability of patches is restored at the next release - I hope so, but because of the 'invalid data' potential that obviously existed prior to the current interim fix, that might no longer be possible for patches created under earlier firmware versions.  I'm afraid we'll have to wait and see.

Nick

by jimsreynolds on 2012-03-12 01:39:34

MerlinFL wrote:

use of the Old English spelling of "behavior" as "behaviour". 

Cry foul back at you dude!   This is an American English vs British English thing.  Nick is a Brit (of indeterminate age) and therefore on the side of the angels here.http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/behaviour?q=behaviour">http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/behaviour?q=behaviour">http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/behaviour?q=behaviour .

Apologies to the OP.

by Warfare on 2012-03-24 03:31:24

Hello Guys,

Any news about Firmware 2.0 ? Is it still planned for end of this month ?

Cheers,

Warfare

by Warfare on 2012-04-08 03:13:34

Hi Nick,

As new firmware and software are available, I would share my disappointment.

In fact HD Desktop and HD 500 tones are still not compatible and it's necessary to use a workaround to load them.

Naively, I tought (as you tought too) that switching from 1.X to 2.X - which basically mean that major changes where introduced - will solve the corrupted data issue, but ... no.

Can Line 6 staff, regarding the increasing number of messages about this issue, give us some infos ?

Few examples :

http://line6.com/support/message/368898#368898

http://line6.com/support/message/318125#318125

Please.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-08 04:14:07

Hi

Hmmmm.... Sorry, it would appear that the issue remains from f/w 1.43.  I had believed that this was fixed

Regards

Nick

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-08 05:12:56

Digging into it a little further, the problem in the main seems to be due to differences in the physical inputs that are available on the various units which is not exactly a new discovery.

Using both POD HD500 Edit v2.00 in Offline mode and POD HD Edit with the POD HD attached and running f/w 2.02 simultaneously I loaded all my POD HD500 set lists into POD HD500 Edit.  Looking at the majority of my older presets, I have the Input sources set to a reasonable Guitar - Aux - Variax for input 1 and Same for Input 2.  Of course the POD HD desktop unit does not have either of the physical Aux or Variax inputs available.  Dragging and dropping a POD HD500 patch that is set this way from HD500 Edit to POD HD Edit results in the message: 'Invalid data found in one or more patches. These patches have been reset and named 'New Tone (reset)'

That's fair enough in my opinion as the inputs on the POD HD desktop don't physically match the available inputs on the POD HD500.  It is obviously not going to be possible to simply drag and drop some HD500 patches into a POD HD or POD HD Pro or vice-versa any more unless the source patches are set to one or more of the common to all inputs in the first place.

However, you can still use all three version 2.00 editors to get around this (expected) behaviour, by simply sanitising the input settings (and almost certainly any FX loop settings) in the Edit program for the unit the patch was created in originally by using that editor in off-line or on-line mode (if you have say both a POD HD and a POD HD500) to clean the patch up before dragging it from the source editor to the new destination editor.  You can just make a simple change to the Inputs in the source editor without having to Send Selected to to its attached (or not POD), and perform a drag and drop exercise from one editor to the other.

This, I believe is the correct way to do it.

The other way to do it is simply to roll back the Editor to v1.06 and the destination device will pick up the troublesome patch and allow to to save it in the attached POD, but then when you update the editor to v2.00 it will not accept the patches from the POD.

So a little bit of housekeeping is the way to go

Nick

by Warfare on 2012-04-08 06:24:11

Hi Nick,

Thank you for trying to five us the best possible answer.

After few investigations I agree with you, the problem of 'corrupted datas' is due to inputs differences, mainly those related to Variax.

Now, using the tip of drag and drop beetween HD 500 Edit and HD Edit, is an acceptable workaround.

However, as this workaround is clearly simple AND repetitive I can't barely understand why there are so much barriers regarding tones compatibility. Take the example of Pod XT : when you try to load patch without having a specific model pack the software will at least load the patch advertising you that something (Amp, FX ...) is not present.

In fact, as this compatibility is clearly annoying for lot of customers, and according to the fact that this issue appeared with HD Edit 1.06 (solving squeal issue), I feel that something is missing.

Could Line 6 design a common sofware and not different pieces of software for each device (HD Edit, HD 300 Edit, HD 500 Edit, HD Pro Edit ...) ? I'm sure those softwares are not designed by a trainee (it's not a poor visual basic app), and a common platform will surely make things easier for customers ... And perhaps even for Line 6 !

That is my point of view, and regarding messages and peoples complaining about this issue I feel I'm not wrong.

No ?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-08 07:04:46

Personally I can't see that Line 6 will make any changes to the way patches can be shared now between the POD HD, POD HD500 and POD HD Pro.  This is only my opinion.  My reasons are that whilst Line 6 facilitated importing 'foreign' patches, there were always physical differences between the units which were always known could cause some unexpected behaviour to occur if the conditions were right.  Line 6 have never supported the transfer of patches between the three units as such for this reason.  Users have always been on heir own if something didn't work.  Given the fact that the unexpected behaviour was shown to occasionally cause uncontrolled squealing (probably for other reasons than just a mismatch of input settings), which is potentially serious in terms of possible damage to hearing and equipment, I believe that any and all data mismatches and loopholes had to be closed, which has had the positive effect of curing the squealing issue, but with the slight inconvenience of us now having to 'sanitise' our patches before importing them into a device other than the type where they were initially made.  So, I think the current way that transferring of patches now works, is going to be the way it remains.

I understand your idea to have one common editor, but given that patches need to be sanitised in the originating hardware's editor before importing into the destination editor, would mean that it would be a less straightforward process.  I appreciate a lot of people liked the previous Gearbox interface for POD XT/X3 but I was not a fan.  I tend to edit directly on the hardware anyway with all three POD HD units, but I do find the POD HD editors pretty intuitive when I do use them

by Warfare on 2012-04-08 08:10:00

Nick, I feel the discussion is more about 'marketing delighters' or 'customer care' than 'legal obligations'.

Let's just focus on the real discussion (Yes, some peoples prefer to manually edit patchs and yes HD Editors are quite intuitive ... anyway I'm not a attempting lawsuit againts line 6 )

The fact is that this incompatiblity beetween products sharing the same DSP Engine is restricting the real potential of those devices for some customers.

And I'm sure that the few evolutions we tought that will be included in the new firmware, could be easily done.

And, as this forum is a dedicated way for Line 6 to collect customers satisfaction, I take the opportunity to express myself as an old customer who bought Pod XT, Models Packs, Pod HD ... nothing more in fact.

This not a drama, and perhaps an unified editor can be too much complicated, but I'm sure that this issue can be solved by line 6 engineers for each version.

My only whish is that line 6 staff is reading those lines ...

Thank you Nick,

Warfare

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-08 09:42:43

No worries.  It would be nice to not have to do anything other than drag and drop our patches between the various editors and like you I hope some time that a way to do this easily and safely can be found.  I just don't think in reality it will happen unfortunately

I'm sure you are right that with sufficient resources dedicated to solving the issue of patch transfer that an answer could be found, but the resources (developer time and cost) in exchange for the return might just not be economically viable when there are ways around it that work already.  In all honesty I don't know how complex any additional code would need to be, but I suspect it would be more than just adding a few lines of code.

You are right in that the issue isn't a drama.

Yep - the forums are open to all to express opinions etc....  I'm with you on that - I still have my XTL and the model packs I purchased for it LOL.

Line 6 do keep tabs on the forums of course, but if you want to get an idea directly under the noses of the developers, you should submit Product Feedback using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.  The great thing about Line 6 is that they do listen to customer feedback and where appropriate and possible they often take action

Nick

by Warfare on 2012-04-08 13:05:31

Thank you again for your answers.

I already sent a Product Feedback to Line 6 regarding this compatibilty issue, so I done the max from my side.

The good point is that a 'real' workaround is identified (rolling back to an old version was not a solution).

But to be honest, I'm quite disapointed with this Pod HD Desktop (For a lot of reasons, not for this specific point).

Rawly sounds out of the box are not as good as I thought, especially for high gain setups.

Anyway, let's see what Line 6 will do this year for this range of products (Soldano ?, HD Edit Tuner ? ...).

Cheers

Warfare

by Warfare on 2012-04-09 06:26:03

After few test with H5S files (Includings yours ), seems the problem is just related to the default input in HD 500 Edit wich is 'Guitar + Aux + Variax' while HD Edit (Bean) is 'Guitar'.

I would underline that as it should be easy to correct in future HD Edit versions ...

by johanneszab on 2012-04-17 00:32:08

Hi!

I've also encountered the error on my bean you are discussing here, but I've skipped the v1.43 Version and POD HD Software. So, this was new to me. When i flashed the v2.02 a lot, like >80%, of my downloaded patched from the HD 500 contained invaild data.

While Reading this forums and the Guitar Input fix, i've checked with an older HD Edit version multiple presets that contained invaild data and a correct input. With this data i've written a small java program that changes some bytes in the patches and sets the inputs to "Guitar/Same".

So, all you have to do is to rename your downloaded patches from .h5e to .hbe and put the .jar file into the same folder as your renamed 500 patches. doubleclick the .jar and run it. After that you patches should be loadable within the newest HD Edit Software. This way, you don't need to have installed 2 versions of the HD Edit Software.

Here you can get to program (~2kb): http://www.jzab.de/files/convert.jar">http://www.jzab.de/files/convert.jar">http://www.jzab.de/files/convert.jar

I hope this does not violate any of line6 usage terms. Any suggestions are welcome. Usage at own risk.

Edit 2011-05-17: It now comes with a graphical user interface for folder selection, mass extension rename option and simple backup function.

by Warfare on 2012-04-17 01:29:31

Hi,

Is there any dialog box, or the jar is simply running silently ? When executing jar with my Java Platform SE Binary nothing seems to happen ^^

Anyway, what kind of modifications are you performing on files to prevent the problem ?

Thanks

Warfare

by johanneszab on 2012-04-17 03:20:03

No message, no dialogbox. I'm going do add a gui for folder selection and some messages probably. Currently it just runs silently, opens all .hbe files it finds in the current directory and changes some bytes. I honestly can't say for sure what modifications are made, the preset files are all binary.

I've opened several files in the old hd edit software, changed only the input, looked if they are loadable in the new one. Then i opened all files and made out the differences i thought that were related. Its more like try and error, and i came up with this. I've tested it with like 20 presets that wouldn't load here on the new firmware and software. After the modification they worked for me.

by Warfare on 2012-04-17 05:58:53

This is a very nice initiative, as I tought it would'nt be a big deal to integrate this kind of function into HD Edit ... Hope Line 6 software engineers will understand the message.

Anyway, it'll be cool to not have to change file extension and to have a GUI ^^

Thank you very much Johann !!!

by johanneszab on 2012-04-20 03:05:28

Warfare wrote:

Anyway, it'll be cool to not have to change file extension and to have a GUI ^^

GUI and .h5e added. Its still not polished, but weekend is comming ;).

If you find any presets that do not work, please give me a note, so i can probably adjust the application.

by Johannor on 2012-05-16 14:37:24

Thankyou so very much! Works just perfekt. And so easy, just choose a folder and run! Great!   =)

by johanneszab on 2012-05-17 12:12:55

Great that i could help you =)

by mane_larumbe on 2012-08-21 08:08:56

my friend have the line6 pod hd300 and he have same problems with the presets and effects.

the presets are reset and various effects are not where they should be.

i believe that a reverb are in the distortions!!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.