These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Relay Digital Wireless

G50- Can I use the Dunlop DC Brick to power?
by jamsti on 2012-02-25 16:32:49

After reading a few post I am still unclear....Can the Dunlop DC Brick be used to power the G50 without any issues?

Thanks

Re: G50- Can I use the Dunlop DC Brick to power?
by BigChas52 on 2012-02-25 18:21:08

You may have problems.  Depending on who you talk to, the G50 uses between 250mA and 350mA.  According to VooDoo Lab, it uses 250.  Line 6 says it can spike to 350.  Ive researched this, as I own a Voodoo Lab Power Power 2+ and I wanted to be able to power my G50 through it.

The Dunlop Power Brick will put out 375mA MAX through its 7 9v ports combined.  Could be problematic.  Sorry.

by dboomer on 2012-02-25 21:48:21

Probably not if you are drawing much current for other devices at the same time.

by jamsti on 2012-02-26 08:38:40

Thanks! Just trying to avoid having another plug to worry about (besides my DC Brick) coming off my pedal board. It's definatley not worth having issues however.

by dboomer on 2012-02-29 08:07:03

It is very important that if a user chooses to use a power supply other than the factory provided one that it can provide the appropriate power.  Even though it make seem to work fine a power supply that can not provide enough current will cause your Relay to act unpredictably and you will likely suffer from drop outs (maybe not may ... but who wants them?)

A third party supply must be able to provide a minimum of 350ma @9vdc exclusively for the Relay.  It will probably turn on with lower but will have problems staying synced.  Higher current is fine (the factory supply provides 500ma @9vdc).

Here's the part that many users miss.  When you plug multiple pedals into a supply you share the total current available (like the DC brick) so there will not be enough current for the Relay.

Isolated output power supplies are prefered because when then are not isolated you are creating a ground loop which will likely add noise/hum/buzz.  That happens whether or not you are using a Relay.

by MarkSpinner1 on 2012-02-29 13:52:55

I just had this problem. I have the Voodoo Labs Power Plus 2. Outputs 5 and 6 will power the relay. 1-4 will not produce any sound.

by dboomer on 2012-02-29 15:08:44

Officially you are not getting full reliability using only out 5 or 6.  You need to get a "current doubler" cable from them to actually do it right.  You may be lucky and get a bit more than their rated power if you happen to be plugging into AC line voltage that is a bit on the high side, but it might start dropping out unexpectedly if you plug into a wall source that's a bit in the low side.  You are living right on the edge witrh zero safety margin.

You need to get a "current doubler" cable from them to actually do it right. ($8)

This is spelled out in the FAQ in our "documents" section

by MarkSpinner1 on 2012-03-01 13:49:02

I will do that

Thanks

by MarkSpinner1 on 2012-03-02 08:44:16

Just a note. I looked at the factory power adaptor for the G50 and it states that 250ma in the specs. Does this mean that it is the same as the 250ma on the Voodoo lab?

by dboomer on 2012-03-02 10:17:38

You would be living right on the edge.  The factory supply gives you double that for a margin of safety.

by MarkSpinner1 on 2012-03-02 13:33:47

Then why does the factory power supply state 250ma? Is is incorrect? If it it gives twice as much then should't it state 500ma. I just want to be clear. Am I not understanding what it is stating? Please clarify

by dboomer on 2012-03-03 20:59:05

250ma is the INPUT draw, that's the power it draws from the wall.  What is relevant is the power it can supply OUT to a device.  That is stated as 0.5A (in other words 500 ma)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.