These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500/Pro into a PA ... how do YOU do it?
by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-26 11:09:10

Hail Pod People!

My chosen method of hooking up my HD500 is to use the four cable method with my Marshall JVM Combo.  I use a combination of FX Only and (increasingly) amp model patches.  This is my live rig and I use nothing else right now.

My question, however, goes out to those people who plug their POD HD straight into the PA for live playing ... especially people who use their POD direct into the PA that they find in the venue where they are playing. 

• How do YOU do it?  
  • What approach do you take to setting up your patches?  Any special setups that you use?
  • How do you deal with the unique EQ that you run into with each new PA/venue etc? 

I am interested in any tips and tricks that you can come up with.  Increase the knowledge !!

Re: HD500/Pro into a PA ... how do YOU do it?
by phil_m on 2012-02-26 11:28:30

I've usually just used one of the XLR outs. I don't really have any patches that I need a stereo image on, so I just keep everything panned to the center. If I were using dual tones with two amps, I'd probably run out of both XLR outs.

As far as EQ goes, I usually use studio monitors to setup my patches, so they seem to translate pretty well to a typical PA. I did need to make some adjustments, I'd probably just do it using the channel strip(s) at the mixer.

My advice is keep it simple. The less things you have to worry about changing, the better. I know that's kind of vague, but I guess I've never had too many issues when having to go direct. I may find I want to tweak the levels of my patches when I'm there, so I'll spend a little bit of time going through things during sound check to get them where I want them. I try to minimize the number of patches I use in a given night - I don't think I've used more than 8. That way If I do need to change things, it's doable, and I'm not freaking out trying to level two dozen patches.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-02-26 11:38:21

Good answer Phil.  

Can I ask what style(s) of music you play when you play live?   How dirty/heavy do your patches get?  Do you have more trouble balancing off your clean, crunchy or dirty patches?

Useful to get a reference point.

by phil_m on 2012-02-26 12:33:21

Well, I don't really ever play that heavy, and I'm much more likely to use an overdrive or distortion for gain than a lot of amp gain. I guess I tend to approach a lot of patches from the perspective of building on a clean to just on the verge breaking up amp model. Then once I have that where I want it I build on it. Most of my patches are built around the Deluxe Reverb, Dr. Z, and AC30 models. I like the way these react, and I'm familiar with these types of amps in the real world.

I think the one thing I've learned from playing in different bands over the years is that it's important to have some sort of consistency in guitar tones in a set. You don't want everything to sound the same, but if the sound is drastically different from one song to the other, it can be kind disorienting for the rest of the band. So I guess I try to stick with a core of sounds from which I can still sound like me when I'm playing.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-02-27 03:17:47

Phil has it dead right.  Keep it simple.  I would normally use only about four main patches for a gig and certainly no more than eight.

I rarely go direct to PA, but when I do, I use one or both XLR outs

My normal rig at the moment consists of an HD500 and DT-25 connected by L6 Link and I take a speaker emulated feed from the DI out on the DT-25 to the desk.

Nick

by rucademoura on 2012-05-03 18:47:15

Just a question Nick! I have the " Dream Rig " with a DT 50 and a POD HD 500, I'm using the Direct out of DT 50 to the MIXER ( LIVE ) but the mster volume at DT 50 affects the level out from the direct out! Is there anyway to Master Level in DT 50 be independent from the Direct out? Or to have it that way I will need do feed the chanel mixer from the XLR outputs of the POD HD 500? Thank you!

by rucademoura on 2012-05-03 18:49:09

By the way I'm using L6 Link!

by tdollaway on 2012-05-04 03:18:58

I run mine exactly as Phil has stated above. I dial everything in on both headphones and a powered monitor (as it's frequency response matches our PA pretty accurately). Most of my patches are dual amp tones, so I'll pan hard left and right on the HD's mixer and run two XLRs to our console.  Our PA is mono, so I don't have to worry about path A or B being a little louder than the other as long as they sound good when mixed together.

And definitely keep it simple. I have about 6 different presets that I mix and match in 7 different banks to fit particular songs needs. Some banks, I may only use for 1 or 2 songs. Others I might use for 20. As long as you stick with as few presets as you can get away with, adjusting on the fly isn't too bad.

by marcogalloro on 2012-11-24 11:50:15

Hey, Just had a quick question as to connecting POD HD PRO and PA.

By using only ONE of the XLR outputs on the back, does the unit automatically send a MONO signal out?

Or do I have to manually switch the unit output to mono in settings?

I don't want the left signal being sent while the right signal is not.

ALSO:

Does this also apply to the TS outputs?

By using only ONE of theTS outputs on the back, does the unit automatically send a MONO signal out?

Or do I have to manually switch the unit output to mono in settings?

I don't want the left signal being sent while the right signal is not.

Thanks!

by silverhead on 2012-11-24 12:07:58

Check the label on the output jacks. Some say L/MONO (or R/MONO) and some just say L (or R). The label says it all - those that are not marked MONO do not sum to mono.

by jws1982 on 2012-11-26 14:20:27

+1 on Phil's comment.  I set up my patches at gig volume in a studio environment as well.  It almost always translates well to a PA.  After that, it's in the sound guy's hands to EQ it if he wants to (in the end, we're all at the mercy of the sound guy ).

I typically have 8 different patches I use with 'for-hire' gigs.  6 of them use the same amp model (Dby13), but have different gain levels and effects.  Then I have a super-clean Fender patch, and a heavy Engl patch.  So my tone stays pretty consistent.

With my band, I use a different setlist in the POD with a 4-patch bank for each song.  The main differences between the patches aren't the amps, but rather the effects, delay times, etc...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.