These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

Positioning the XDV70 headset
by freereed on 2012-03-01 18:33:45

I am using the XDV70L and am unable to keep the microphone on the headset positioned consistently in front of my mouth while performing. It is not working for me because the guide wire riding on my cheek falls down.  I am looking for a solution short of bending the guide wire into a bigger arc, which it appears might be permanently damaged if I do so.

Re: Positioning the XDV70 headset
by RonMarton on 2012-03-02 00:35:39

A couple of things spring to mind...

(Although I'm not speaking from experience of Line 6's headset mic, for many decades now I have regularly been using other manufacturers' version of similar adjustable "two ear" sliding armatures, ...manufacturers such as Countryman, DPA, Rode and Shure.)

First:

Whether cardioid or omni, the best (closest, while least "pop" and "blast" prone) position is actually NOT directly in front of the food and drink intake orifice.

It's adjacent to the corner of the mouth.

With directional (cardioid, supercardioid and noise cancelling) models, additional care must be taken to have the mic's sensitive side actually pointing at the mouth opening, neither accidentlly twisted into an "up and down" orientation, nor arranged so that the path of the voice is into the "side" or "end" of the mic head, in which case the mic will actually be rejecting its desired pickup.

With any luck, following this technique should mean a further "collapse" reduction in size of the sliding armature through its guide clips to yield a shorter boom length, rather than the "bigger arc" you had in mind.

A shorter boom length should in turn reduce the leverage that the mic head can exert at the "under ear" pivot point (fulcrum) resulting in less of the movement that's giving you grief. It'll also make it easier to achieve a more solid "tightening" of the support structure around the back of the head at the top of your neck, which will hopefully enable consistent positioning with less reliance on uncomfortable pressure at the ear loops.

Second:

(A real "hope not", but it does work.)

If the acrobatics involved are such that the armature simply will not hold to your satisfaction, you could resort to the technique used world-wide when fitting such mics to sports people and variety artists: flesh-coloured porous adhesive tape from the first-aid kit.

Make sure the mic isn't "live" when the time comes to rip it off !

(Seriously though, if you go this route, keep a bottle of eucalyptus oil and some cotton applicators handy, so you can swab the adhesive with this oil to effect painless removal.)

by dboomer on 2012-03-02 09:59:25

The mic should not be used "in front" but rather to the side or even slightly behind the mouth.  Try adjusting it so it conforms to this.

by freereed on 2012-03-02 13:10:43

Thanks to those who replied. This is helpful.

I used tape once and that seemed to work.

As to shortening the boom, i find that my harmonizer picks up stray sounds with an omni mic, so i compromise being careful with the pops and blasts so that i can use less mic gain and therefore pick up less stray noise.

Although no one said so explicitly, it seems it's a bad idea to bend the guide.

So, i guess it's tape....OR is there an alternative microphone that i can use with my V70  that i can adapt to my transmitter/connector (definitely want to stay with Line 6 digital technology - seems to be the only one with advanced dig technology)?

by RonMarton on 2012-03-02 16:28:14

As far as I know, AKG (Austria) and Shure (USA) are the only ones with ISM band 2.4 GHz spread-spectrum digital wireless mic systems actually on the market at the moment, but you can be certain that there are a plethora in the pipeline.

I've NO association with, nor particular loyalty to, Line 6, but am prepared to state that, in over forty years of professional showbusiness audio:

1. I've never experienced wireless gear of comparable ruggedness and versatility for anything less than roughly double the cost and
  2. Line 6's worldwide support, including this forum, is yet to be matched.

Now, regarding mind-bending, head-bending, harmonizer pick-up and such...

Your reply seems to indicate that the mic in question is cardioid, in which case (as Don has said) you really should try the corner of the mouth positioning, paying careful attention to the direction of pickup as I indicated in my first reply. You may be pleasantly surprised by a proximity-induced increase in both the level of your voice and the amount of isolation.

There are a few things to bear in mind regarding alternative headworn mics, but I reckon the foremost is any "benefit" versus the cost. Almost all of them cost about the same as (or more than) another belt-pack transmitter, most of them are omni, and only some are compatible without electrical modification.

As I originally said, I've no personal experience of your actual mic, but given Line 6's track-record in making "real world" products, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's every bit as rugged as (if not more rugged than) the other manufacturers' headworns that I've used for decades.

In nearly every case, their armatures consist of an alloy (often derived from the spectacle industry) that, in order to obtain a sure fit, can be bent and re-bent several times before any fatigue-induced cracking will occur.

May your bending be happy and harmonious...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.