These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 Details guide
by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-04 04:55:28

Hello, I did a little guide of some things that I think nobody talk before and are part important of the sound.

Grettings from Chile!

Re: POD HD500 Details guide
by mazuwa on 2012-03-04 05:09:00

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the HD500.

I just want to add:

- Concerning the Recording Volume over USB the Master Volume knob is level independent.

- Sometimes the sound on different banks may sound different because the Line6 editor in the moment does not feature all parameters, e.g. the Guitar-In Resistance. When Input set to Preset instead of Global, they also may sound different.

by PaulBateman on 2012-03-04 07:36:00

mazuwa wrote:

e.g. the Guitar-In Resistance. When Input set to Preset instead of Global, they also may sound different.

can i ask about that while its here... i dont really understand the values there... it defaults to 1m i think.... but what does that value refer to and what determines the best setting?

by phil_m on 2012-03-04 08:10:14

I don't agree with your assertion that not having something in all the effects blocks will cause you to "lose frequencies". I think there must be something else going on that you're experiencing. I'm also not sure what you're meaning in your pictures by labeling the "inside part" and "outside" part. I think you may be experiencing some of these tonal differences because of the way HD500 handles the input signals and the fact the some effects are true stereo and some are not.

by silverhead on 2012-03-04 08:12:21

On page 2.5 of the latest HD500 Advanced Guide you will find a listing of the impedance values for all HD500 FX models. These are the settings used when the In-Z parameter is set to "Auto". The setting applies to the first FX model that appears in the signal chain.

by PaulBateman on 2012-03-04 09:52:32

silverhead wrote:

On page 2.5 of the latest HD500 Advanced Guide you will find a listing of the impedance values for all HD500 FX models. These are the settings used when the In-Z parameter is set to "Auto". The setting applies to the first FX model that appears in the signal chain.

so its an amp by amp thing? i thought it was set based on the guitar being used..

by PaulBateman on 2012-03-04 09:59:33

i think its just a matter of having alot of effects are shaping the tone to his liking...

i reflashed my pod last night and found my user1 setlist filled with presets that werent there before (weird..lol) but actually found a bunch i liked.... one was a clean tone that had all blocks used and it sounded great! alot fuller then anything i made previously.. simply because of the multiple EQ's etc i think

i wouldnt think its just filling the blocks that causes that, but the EQ's etc are doing their job... plus like you said, those routing options are there for a reason..

as more of a geek then a musician, im loving that i constantly find new tricks and methods even months after i bought it..

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-04 13:15:58

Yes, like I said when all the blocks are using (even in "off") the sound is fuller, you can prove and listen the difference. About the "inside part" and "outside part" from the picture I recommend do the test, is very simple and will give you a new option of the sound in your POD HD500 (if is better depend to the objetive), I let pictures with the same order in the chain but in one "inside" and other "outside", prove you will listen that is not a little detail in the sound, and you can do that even with the amp (not in dual sound) and the results are interesting.

Booster in the "inside part"

inside booster.jpg

Booster in the "outside part"

outside booster.jpg

Other test:

other.jpg

Is the same presets only playing with the "inside part" and the "outside part", even if you eliminate the block that are not in use you will listen more differences:

other more.jpg

There are much examples that can look logicals, but when you prove the sound change in radical way in some cases, greetings

by phil_m on 2012-03-04 16:24:42

I'm not doubting that you're hearing some difference. I'm just saying the reason behind it appears to be with the fact that the way true stereo effects work in the signal chain, and the way the HD500 deals with mono and stereo signal splitting in general, seems like the explanation to me. I don't think that a bypassed effects block and a blank one will sound different in all situations. There are certain ones in which I would see they would, though. For example, the studio EQ model is a true stereo effect, and I'm not sure what the delay is you have there, but I think that could be the explanation for what's happening with your tone.

A friend is actually borrowing my HD500 right now, so I don't have anyway to test this out for myself at the moment.

by mazuwa on 2012-03-04 19:35:40

It has to do with the mixing (level + pan) and the way you give the signal to the upper and lower signal chain, also considerung stereo effects. It is normal that you get the impression that with different volumes, as with real amps + stomps, the sound becomes brighter or fuller the louder they are. Same to effects that split to stereo (chorus) or convert the stereo signal to mono again (compressor).

The sound difference between picture 3 and 4, which show only deactivated blocks in contrast to empty ones, I cannot completely explain, but I can hint on deactivated blocks also need processor power, in contrast to empty blocks that do not use power.

by meambobbo on 2012-03-04 20:31:16

dude, i don't even know where to begin with this, but I'm pretty sure most of this information is flat out wrong.

if you are not in studio/direct output mode, the mic selection doesn't change the tone at all.

if you're not using the line 6 link to a DT-XX amp, the class A/AB, topology, and pentode/triode selections do nothing.

if effects are off, they don't do anything.

channel A and channel B do not have different tones, only different routing.

channel volume doesn't have to be 25% less or you get clipping - that depends on your patch and the amp you're using.  same with your mixer settings.

Master Knob's setting shouldn't always be 60% - it should be as high as possible without clipping external gear.  that's proper analog gain staging.

100% drive for the high-gain models is likely way too much gain.

I assure you moving the EQ knobs in the amp models aren't a bad idea in general.

22k input impedance is going to get you a very loose feel and a darker tone, pretty much the opposite of what you usually want for a high-gain tone.

the order of the effects in the chain certainly does matter, but the order of the effect when viewed in Edit does not.

i haven't studied all of these things in detail, but i'm 99% a lot of the tonal differences you're hearing is just your imagination.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-05 03:28:34

Meambobbo, is not imagination, just prove and you will listen the differences, let me say you that the class a/ab, topology and pentode/triode have changes in the sound, also the mic. I don`t know what gear you use, but in my poweramp with my speacker I am not only the one that can listen the differences (so if I take your word, can I say that is "colective imagination"?

The effects when are off produce changes in your tone, for example, prove the Studio EQ off and the in the same block put a Digital delay off, even off are differences in your tone.

Even if the Master Knob is analog can produce clipping, because if the volumen es so high before to the poweramp amp section you can produce the clipping.

22k is more is not a darker tone in my gear, maybe you know the input impedance conduct with pasive pickup, I have both (pasive and active in differents guitar) and in the pasive the changes is nothings in the actives the impedance are very important in the tone.

Maybe just you say, "if you haven´t studied all of these things in detail" you can prove before to say that is just imagination. I am not using a studio gear, also that details are for Live situation and not for studio, only prove only will take some minutes and is better than say is only imagination before hand.

My gear is:

-Guitar: Ibanez SZ20066 (EMG 81-85 18 volt) and Ibanez SA120 (pasive pickup is the second guitar)

-Valve poweramp with (2x6l6 power, driver 12ax7 and splitter 12ax7)

-2x12 based in the Rectifier guitar cab (with Eminence GB128 and 1258)

-Sommer Spirit and Neutrick plugs

Well, I wrote a experience, are not rules, maybe to somebody can help to have a better tone maybe not, only prove and take the option if work for you and your gear or not, is only that, greetings

by jimsreynolds on 2012-03-05 03:56:44

I don't want to be negative about your work because I think anything that explores the darker corners of setting up tones is ultimately good for everone.  However, I too have doubts about some of what you are saying.  I will be honest and admit that I have not sat down and tested all of your scenarios but some of it just doesn't sound right.

I agree with Meambobbo - the Class/Topology/Mode settings should only have an effect on the DT Amps - which make a feature of being able to reconfigure these parameters.  You can see the clear 'DT' logo to the left of them in the pic below.  With an HD Only:  nothing should actually happen.

Untitled.gif

In my experience making a change to any of the amp parameters causes a momentary dropout and I will admit that for a while this made me think that things were changing when they actually weren't.  For example, with my HD in Combo Power amp mode I used to beleive that changing the Mic Models was actually doing something subtle .... it wasn't !   When I changed to Studio Mode I could really hear the difference.

The only way to really be sure here would be to:

• Hookup the HD to a PC with a good audio recorder software
  • Set the Looper to Pre
  • Record a few riffs into the Looper
  • Record the looper playback with the DT Settings (or whatever you are testing) in one position
  • Record the looper playback with the DT Settings in the other position.
  • Compare the two recorded waveforms.

by PaulBateman on 2012-03-05 04:35:01

one thing i will throw in.... i do find the tone changes in a very subtle way sometimes... maybe there is an explanation tho...for example

i'll record a simple loop using one patch... then ill switch to a different patch and i hear a change to the recorded loop.... output settings are globally set so i dont really know why the sound changes.. its not set to pre or anything obvious like that... my experience is limited to say the least but its almost like it throws a compressor on it once i leave the patch..

by jimsreynolds on 2012-03-05 04:47:27

That's interesting ....  no, I don't think I can easily account for that

by PaulBateman on 2012-03-05 05:13:55

its very subtle... and not even an issue for me.... but thought i'd bring it up while we were on the subject...

like the one guy above said.... load on the DSP could explain certain things... loading up a more extensive patch puts a load on it that could alter the tone in theory.. possibly the same effect the OP notices by filling up all blocks with "off" effects.. who knows.. lol... fun to discuss tho.. my pod has become my OCD object lately..

i still suck when it comes to playing my guitar, but at least i can learn all the ins and outs of my gear... less frustrating haha

(god..... just realized by my join date i've been playing for 2 years now....i shouldnt still suck this bad... haha... should spend less time tweaking and more time playing i think..)

Message was edited by: PaulBateman

by meambobbo on 2012-03-05 06:59:05

fine, i'll record clips.  i'll do the delay off vs studio EQ off vs a blank slot and i'll compare the DT-XX switching parameters.  If I hear a change in the tone, I'll do the different mic selections when you are not in studio/direct output mode as well.  but i don't expect to hear any difference.

i agree about the Master Knob clipping the input stage of a power amp (this happens on my combo amp), but as I said, it's not necessarily always going to be 60% - if people can set it higher without getting clipping, they should.  since it's in front an analog amplifier which will introduce noise into the signal, you want it set as high as possible to acheive the best SNR.

Your impedance results are bizarre.  EMG advertizes that they're pickups use a lower impedance, which allows you to run longer stretches of cable with better SNR.  Thus, the impedance of the Pod should be higher than them even for lower settings, and the impedance settings should sound relatively the same.  For the passives, the opposite should happen - there should be a large change in the tone from 22k to 3.5M, getting brighter and tighter.  I'm going to record this as well, with actives and passives.

at first i thought oh geez this guy figured out some very specific things here, but as it went on, some things seemed absolutely opposite of my experiences.  that's where my severe skepticism took over.  it's possible i'm wrong, or its possible that your pod is behaving strangely.  i'm happy to try to figure it out.  god help us all if you are right - it's gonna take much more effort to dial in the best patch possible if so.

which firmware version are you using?

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-05 07:56:26

I have the firmware 1.4. I don´t understand why you sound so to defensive if something sound different to your experience, here is not a law I wrote about some things that produce differences in the sound, if you like it o.k., if you don´t like it o.k. too, relax man, I am not trying to destroy your presets and your rutine with the POD HD, if you are happy with them good for you. Maybe first is good try, here is 1 possibilities: maybe me and 3 persons have so bad ears and good imagination that we can listen differences. Maybe you can prove the 4 pictures that I let for examples, if you don´t listen the differences is my imagination

PS: about the impedance,  I like more 22K than with 3.5M, is not for the right in the theory, because I like the result

by meambobbo on 2012-03-05 08:24:27

i'm not angry or worried about my presets or anything.  i frequent this forum and try to help lots of people, and there's already quite a few myths floating around about the "secrets" to making the unit sound 1000% better and all this hooplah.  and the pod is already quite complicated with all the bells and whistles, not to mention a few quirks.  the things you are talking about go beyond the quirks i've discovered and would make dialing the full potential of the unit a quite time-consuming process.  that's why i hope you aren't right.  from a design perspective, it makes no sense why a lot of these things should matter at all.  i'd consider half of them bugs.

i'm not trying to dog your opinions, such as with input impedance selections, or the amount of gain you like to use.  but when you are making positive statements that i don't believe are correct, I want others to know that I don't think they're correct before they end up wasting a whole lot of their time following a guide that does nothing to improve their tone.

that being said, i'm not 100% sure i'm right - maybe you're spot on with at least some of your observations.  if so, i'll be glad to admit it and let others know that what you're saying is definitely true.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-05 09:52:22

ok, you are a good person trying to safe the community of somebody that apparently want to confuse all, but:

-Can you prove the examples before to defend your point? (so, speak with fundaments)

-I am saying rules or showing more options?

-What is the problems with say experiences that can results operatives to other? (if don´t work is easy not continue using the tips, and if works are other reason for continue using the POD HD; or not?)

Sorry but I am not interesting to prove that I am right and that I have the "true" like you say, I said my experience in a community not rules and not a law, is totally different concept like I know, I not recommend see the world thank the eyes to the other, in a good way I ask you:

what is your fundament for say what sound better? (what is better for you or for other?)

what is your parameter for know when somebody is trying to confuse the community or saying something that can help to other? (more if you don´t prove the examples that I did and also that I did with the objetive to give more options and not confuse, I explained step by step)

Like I said in one moment in the archive, all depend to the objetive of the player, nobody need have the same objetive, and maybe  somebody need have more options (options that are not difficults and not take more that some minutes to do and can change the sound better or not depend to evaluation of the player), I think the resistance to the changes can create problems.

I am not here for try to attack you, your ideas and methods or to somebody, I wrote my experience and the tips that for me are working with my gear and maybe can work for one person more and I think is a community for help to other, greetings

by meambobbo on 2012-03-05 10:44:18

i'll let the clips do my talking for me.  if you are correct, i'll apologize for being so assumptive.

i'm only interested in determining if certain settings can make a tonal difference, not whether they improve or worsen the sound.  i'll leave it to each individual which tone they prefer.  but if there is no difference, i don't want people to spend time tweaking for no good reason or for potential buyers to be turned off because there's an absurd level of complexity involved in getting the best tone.  on the other hand, if there is a difference (that has no sensible design advantage/purpose), we should report this to Line 6 as a bug and badger them to fix it.

I appreciate the level of detail you've put into your guide and your ambition to help others improve their tone.  i try to do the same thing.  I just don't want myths to snowball into assumed facts if they aren't true.

As some examples, there was a myth that the tone from the HD300/400 was better than the 500/desktop/pro.  There is an ongoing myth that changing your Input 2 from Guitar to Variax improves the tone (which might be true depending on your patch, but only because it changes your input LEVEL not the input TONE).  There are various other myths, such as saying that turning up the Volume Knob on the amp gets you a "cranked amp tone" - this is one that you noticed is clearly false - it's more likely to push the tone into digital clipping.

btw, i have my own guide: http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

I'msure I make recommendations that some might disagree with.  I'm also sure there's an error here or there and if someone points any out to me, I'm happy to correct it.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-05 13:43:18

Like I said, I am not interesting in have the right or the true, I said just my opinion and my experience.

Sorry I am not for talking with people that think that have an absolutely true, I am not interesting in talk with a person insecure that feel their self uncomfortable if somebody don´t think in the same way... mmm... Good bye and good luck

P.S.: Just amazing like a father or I don´t know waht do you think about you; do you think that the people can´t prove something and evaluating for their selves if is good for their sound or not? can the other people do their opinion or need your aprove?: "i don't want people to spend time tweaking for no good reason or for potential buyers to be turned off because there's an absurd level of complexity involved in getting the best tone."

by meambobbo on 2012-03-05 14:17:28

dude, don't get offended.  i think you've got the wrong idea about me and my motives here.

as i said in all my posts today, you might be right about a number of these things, and I'm going to record clips and we can all weigh in on them - maybe some people will hear a difference while others don't, maybe there's a noticeably apparent difference that everyone can hear.  then people can decide for themselves whether they should take the extra time to follow some of your guidelines or it's not worth their time.  if people want to follow your advice, that's fine with me.  i might be one of these people, depending on the results of my test later.  but if i don't think it's worth my time whereas someone else does, i have no problem with that.  if your guide leads me to improve my tone, I will thank you verbosely for preparing and uploading your guide.

the more time people spend tweaking their pod to no avail, the less time they spend on this forum, writing and performing or recording music, or dialing in solid tones that they can share.  that's depriving others of shared experiences.  if i can do 1 hour of research to free up hundreds of hours of other people's time, i'm glad to do it.  i will likely get a lot back in return.  it has NOTHING to do with me being some kind of power junkie that wants to dictate what people can and can't do with their gear.  it has to do with me being a good community member.

i want other people to buy pods to improve the support (ie firmware updates) line 6 provides for them and to get better patches from other users.  a lot of my approach to dialing in tones has come from good ideas and patches posted by others.

by meambobbo on 2012-03-05 18:12:53

ok, so I did the tests.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/DisabledEffectTypeTest.mp3

I">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/DisabledEffectTypeTest.mp3">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/DisabledEffectTypeTest.mp3

Icompared three patches: One with all null/empty blocks, one with all disabled Studio EQ blocks, and one with all disabled Ping Pong delay blocks.  Everything in Channel A.  Channel B muted at mixer.  Treaplate amp into Tread V-30 off axis mic.  Studio/Direct output mode.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/ClassTopologyPentodeTest.mp3

Here">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/ClassTopologyPentodeTest.mp3">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/ClassTopologyPentodeTest.mp3

HereI compared the Class A to Class AB, then all 4 topologies, then pentode vs. triode.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/LiveVoiceCabMicTest.mp3

Here">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/LiveVoiceCabMicTest.mp3">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/disabledSettingsTest/LiveVoiceCabMicTest.mp3

HereI select "no cab" and use a Redwirez IR in my DAW.  I put the output mode in combo power amp, and I select 4 different mics.

I hear no difference in tone in any of these, other than when I change from the onboard cab/mic sims to the Redwirez IR.

by gortur on 2012-03-05 23:52:59

I completely agree with meambobbo. I too would like to emphasize:

- DO try different gain settings other than 100%

- DO try different settings on the eq knobs

- DO set the master knob to other values than 60%, depending on your amp, output mode and cabling

- DON'T put in a whole bunch of disabled effect blocks

- DO use ch. volume settings other than 25%

- DON'T bother with mic settings unless you're using studio/direct mode

- DON'T bother with DT settings unless you're using a DT amp

There are enough considerations already using the HD500, so place your efforts where they belong.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-06 01:10:14

If I have time I will record something with the camera or maybe with a mic the next weekend, like I said in the beggining my experience is for live use not in computer at this moment. I prove sometimes the POD HD in my computer and is very different the sound perception comparing with a real cab and real poweramp than the speaker of my homestudio.

Maybe my POD have something, but we are 4 persons listening the changes in the sound and really are very easy to listen (the order of "inside" and "outside" that I explained is a radical change, and less notorious with the mic-class-topology-pent, but even that you can listen the difference, little but have, in special with the mid-treble freq range).

Can you record something with the examples from the 4 pictures that I took? (the second post that I did in this conversation) for listen if have change the sound in computer context (booster "inside" and "outside", and also the off and blank blocks), greetings

Edit: I did 4 presets with the examples of the pictures; are you listening  the differences? if you don´t I have problems with my POD HD ... that is a very good example that the "inside part" and "outside part" is a radical influence in the sound, so don´t have that in attention it is a option that you are not using for have o evitate some type of sound, I think that is enough prove for take attention in that point and is difficult don´t listen the differences (more if you have a real amp for prove), I will try to record the other things. I recommend prove with a real amp because is so difference use a real amp than a computer.

http://www.mediafire.com/?es837bmaao5or53

Rememberthat is not the same listen in a 1x4 or 1x8 or 1x10 or 1x12 or 2x12 speakers, the details are so great in some cases (more if you see the range and type of the speaker), is a factor for have in consideration if you don´t knew the things that I spoke before could be for the speaker factor, the speaker is very importante in our gear maybe the more important factor then to the player (when we are talking for live context)

by meambobbo on 2012-03-06 07:15:38

So it's safe to assume that no one hears any difference in the 3 clips I posted?

Looking at the 4 patches, I'm not entirely sure but I think some of the tonal differences could be due to the signal having different volume levels because of how it gets routed.  REMEMBER - each line represents a stereo signal, and input 1 feeds into the left side while input 2 feeds into the right side of the first line in the signal.  at the split, the left half is routed to channel A, while the right right half is routed to channel B.  Both signals are then doubled into full left/right signals before hitting any amp/effects blocks.

Here's a detailed description and some diagrams to help:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#routing

As">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#routing">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#routing

Asfor your patches:

In patch 1 the tube drive is after the split (inside).  at the split, the input 1 side of the signal is being doubled as it feeds into channel A (the top path), so the tube drive is being hit with double the signal level as in patch 2 when it's in front the split (outside) where half the signal is Input 1 and the other half is nothing.  So patch 1 should have the most distortion of all these patches, which would show up as additional frequencies, as you put it.

I believe 2, 3, and 4 should sound the same.  I cannot explain why they would sound different.

This is a pretty "extreme" patch IMO - you have a heavily overdriven tube drive into a Rectifier with 100% drive.  It's possible that it is more sensitive to very small changes in the tone, but given that the Pod does this all digitally, it would have to be a bug, especially 3 vs. 4.  2 vs. 3 could possibly be explained in subtle differences in how the signal is mixed/split after a mono effect vs at the patch split.

I did have some old patches that made my Pod do weird things - I tried to make a patch that was completely bass heavy and with a LOT of drive.  It seemed to create some kind of internal feedback issue, where I'd get this swelling droning sound when I played some palm mutes.  Maybe that's what's going on here - some internal component "doesn't like" your patch.

Turn the tube drive's drive down to 10% and turn the Treadplate drive down to 60%.  See if you still get the tonal differences.  This will at least tell you if it's patch specific or possibly an issue with your unit.

I'm not going to record more clips, but I will try the patches out tonight and let you know if I perceive any differences.  I'll try both direct and through an amp.

But I don't think this has anything to do with going out to a real amp.  Those settings change the digital tone - it should be impossible for those settings to interact with the D > A converter or the analog Master amplifier, although I often wonder if the modelling is 100% digital or it uses the digital in combination with controlling some analog components.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-06 09:40:59

I appreciate your comment, I understand the theory in this type of system because I am using (parallel to the reals amps and analog effects) so many machines (Ax3000g, Tonelab, GT-8/10, Vamp, etc) in this last years. I prefer your answer then to prove in a real amp (I use the output "mono L").

If you don´t listen a difference in a real amp with the 4 presets maybe I have some problem in my gear, like I said, is not a little difference in the sound with that presets, so... maybe is my gear. Greetings

P.S.: I use my pickups very low (in altitude) because the EMG are so high output, I like a lot that pickup´s set for the low noise and the clarity in the sound, and also I have more dinamyc with that low altitude. That is the reason in the gain so high, without the booster I only have an overdrive from the preamp

by meambobbo on 2012-03-06 10:08:07

i'll give it a run and let you know.

as far as the EMG height, that's a bit strange.  EMG's have very weak magnets, and EMG recommends setting them quite high (near the strings) relative to standard passive pickups.  Because they have a weak magnet you do not get pole pull and such that hurts the tone as with your average passive pickups.

I understand the sentiment though.  Actives are a strange beast and seem to tend to compress the tone.  They seem more dynamic at lower heights, but they also tend to lose some frequencies.  I use Blackouts and I find the height really affects the tone and response, and I have a difficult time finding the exact position where I want them.

Also, if you are running a pedal before the Pod input, the input impedance settings don't work as I describe.  I believe passive guitar pickups operate on a fluctuating voltage and variable impedance (reaching quite high), whereas active electronics (and pickups) use a static voltage and lower fixed impedance.

It may be preferable to match the output impedance of whatever pedal you're using rather than using high Z settings, which could explain your experience.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-06 11:41:07

Yes is just what you say, I have more frequencies with more height on the pickups, but the problem for me is just in high gain context, the sound like a "mass" in high height, but with low height for me are just perfect, with much clarity, maybe I lost a little of "punch" but is not really important for me, I sacrifice that for more definition in the sound.

In this moment I am not using stompboxes, only the POD HD, this is my chain:

guitar-POD HD-poweramp

Greetings

by Floortom on 2012-03-06 19:27:53

Appreciate the ideas alfmetal.

I disagree with a few of your points but its always good to get more perspective

by meambobbo on 2012-03-07 06:32:42

ok, i ran the 4 patches through my amp, and the results are as I anticipated.

Patch 1 had a little more gain than the other 3, but the other 3 were identical to my ear.  I would try to A/B your unit to one in a store.  Also, have you updated your firmware up to the current version? (I'm actually one behind at 1.4)

Is anyone else getting the same results as alfmetal70 with those patches?

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-07 17:34:23

I was playing some hours today and is very easy to hear the difference, the next days I will try to change the firmware (I have the 1.4) for know if is a problem with the software, (when I say that is easy listen the changes I am saying It is very easy).

For have more objetive opinion today my wife was listening and saying to me the differences, have the same perception and I was don´t saying to her when I changed the presets on the POD (like I said is easy to hear, also a consideration is that she have a "training ear" because I had the last years in my house: JCM800, Roland JC120, Bassman clon, JCM2000, etc... and so many stompboxes and multieffects, so she know the results with differents gears).

I general are very good sound but only moving one part in the chain (chain from the POD, like the delay) I lose some freqs and clarity, annoyed for have stables presets but anyway I have 3 presets with excelents results, nothing to miss to the real sound from a other preamp. Greetings

P.S.: I will say if was the software and I will try to record somethig maybe can help to somebody that present the same situation in "live contexts"

P.S.2: I want to delete the archive for evited confuse to somebody if is a problem with my software; what I need do for delete the guide and change the tittle for "questions for live context"?

by meambobbo on 2012-03-07 18:32:27

when there's a pause between tones or a slight volume difference, people can start to believe there's a difference when there really isn't.  it happens to me all the time.  that's why i like to record and level volumes before doing a tone comparison.

i'm not saying that's what is happening to you.  seems obvious that you and others are definitely hearing an actual difference.  unfortunately i have no idea why.

you don't need to delete the guide.  there should be a link in the upper right of the page to edit the thread.  i'd just put a disclaimer in the thread that some of the suggestions in the guide might be specific to your unit or something strange with your software.  others might be having the same experience as you.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-09 03:14:21

Hello I have big news :

I did the reset to the "Global setting" and the install again firmware, the results:

1) The behaiviour in the POD HD now is normal. Is very comfortable because I can anticipate the responses and use the theory in this type of machine and the more important that I need listen a difference when I must to have, not like before that the same preset had differents results in difference bank.

2) I can use the Master knob in 100% without clipping (very but very good new).

I only have 2 questions more:

The global setting say now (I was looking on Internet and couldn´t find the information and I dont remember the factory setting):

Focus 570hz

Lows -50

Highs -50

1) are those settings the corrects for the "fronts outputs"?

2) some recommend for those setting?

Now the sound change, sound more like emulation than before that was more like a real preamp, but anyway is more comfortable now for the normal behaiviour that can give me a standard for work in "live" and "homestudio" contexts.

Now I can show my "gear 2012"  very happy because is working like I want not like the software want :

Gear 2012.JPG

Greetings and thank for all the help!

by jimsreynolds on 2012-03-09 04:30:16

Sounds like you are in much better shape now

The Focus/Lows/Highs are indeed part of the configuraiton for the 'Front' modes.  There are no 'correct' settings as they are designed to cope with the tone of many different types of pre-amps.  You must use trial and error I'm afraid.  All real pre-amps will have a slightly different eq character.

However ...  looking at your setup - direct into a power amp -  I think you may be better off using the 'Combo Power Amp' or 'Stack Power Amp' modes.   You have no 'real' pre-amp and the EQ on the 'Front' modes is there to compensate for real pre-amps.  You may not need this and front modes may a bad effect on your tones.

Also, experiment with the 'Pre' amp models as (in conjunction with The Power amp output modes) they may sound better for your hookup.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-09 04:49:30

Yes I´m very relax now because was so easy use the POD yesterday without those weird behaiviour. I need use the "front" option (for the output) because my poweramp have 3 knobs: "Resonance" and "Presence" for compensate some freqs between the preamp and the cab from the "real gear" and other knob is the "Volumen". Thank to that in the other type of output the POD sound very brillant and with the "front" option sound more compensate (eliminate the extremely high freqs). That poweramp have that little preamp, is not enough "strong" for work like a normal preamp and "up" the signal, for that I need normal connection with a preamp. It is a mix beetween 2 poweramp that somebody designed and work really great, I poved before the Sansamp GT-2, and other multieffects with emulations for preamps, always with good results.

PA.JPG

Thanks for the answer, today I will try to play with the focus and the other things, now is working very well the POD HD, I continue thinking that is a great machine. Now with more control of the system is so comfortable, give more confidence for the results, before sounded more real (comparing with my olds real amps) but now is more predectible and don´t worry for details for have a decent sound, I am happy with that I lik a lot the simple result, greetings!

by meambobbo on 2012-03-09 07:14:35

that's great news.  I think you see where I was coming from about eliminating unnecessary sources of tweaking.  With so much less to tweak, you can dial in patches much faster!

I agree about the "front" mode.  Lots of people have been bugging Line 6 to give them a global EQ that applies to all patches, so they could quickly adjust the tone to a room (or different gear) and not have to edit every patch they use to get consistent results.  Well, the "front" modes give you a global EQ - it's not all-encompassing, but it can help.  The major issue with it is it is only available in two of the output modes.

I find selecting a cab model which applies "live-voiced cabs" when not in Studio/Direct mode can also dampen some of the highs.  I prefer "no cab" because I like the highs, but it's another option to consider.

Anyway, glad your unit is functioning normally and hope you can dial in tones even better than when it was acting goofy.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-03-09 11:04:02

yes very good news, I am reading your guide, very usefull. Thank for the help, greetings!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.