These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider Valve MKII advice
by conar2000 on 2012-03-04 17:17:06

I have never owned a tube amp. But I have owned many amps from the Spider III and IV series (from Micro Spider to the Spider IV 75). And all of them have been solid state. So naturally I have no right idea how to operate or maintain a tube amplifier. I have friends who have kept tube amps in such good condition that they haven't had to change tubes in over 10 or 12 years. But then there are the many guitar shop owners who talk about switching tubes all the time. And due to the fact I have been saving up for a half stack for a while (and now that I want a Valve I will probably end up working like a dog to get the money), I doubt I can afford to switch tubes alot. Can someone please upload a guide to keeping a tube amp (or a Spider Valve itself) in good condition past the few years mark?

Re: Spider Valve MKII advice
by fflbrgst on 2012-03-05 06:47:54

You'll probably do better asking this in the Valve section of these forums.

Unless you 'blow' a tube, they typically age, rather than get suddenly bad.  A lot depends on how long the amp is left powered on, the volumes played at (and for how long) and make of the tubes (there are good ones and cheap ones).

by conar2000 on 2012-03-05 12:47:54

Crap. I thought I could post anywere. Sorry bout that.

by conar2000 on 2012-03-05 12:50:32

Is there a way to tell if you are playing too loud? One of the shop owners around here said you have to kinda crank it the first time you get it so it will get the tubes worn in or something. I just don't want to damage anything. It takes me forever to save up enough to get something like this anyways haha.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.