These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Vetta

Vetta display looks faded, no contrast.
by flarocks on 2012-03-05 07:57:21

My Vetta display is getting to the point where I cannot read it and there is no contrast on '0'. If I turn the R-temp on its a little better but not much. The amp works fine and so do the display, you just can't see it. The smaller one line display works great. I can't use the amp if I can't see my settings. I am over 100 miles from a service center so thats out right now. I have experience in repair...this LCD has a little burn in but not bad. Is there a calibration that can be done? Do I need to reseat the connectors? I have a service manual and see that getting the display out is not bad but has anyone had this issue and maybe can guide me thru easy solutions first. If not it will sit which is a shame. Line 6, are those displays still available?!?

Jim

Re: Vetta display looks faded, no contrast.
by Kneehow on 2012-03-05 09:36:54

There are still a few Vetta II LCD screens available (they will fit and work with both Vetta II and Vetta I amps, but the lightning color scheme is orange and not green). The retail price will be somewhere around $125.00. Avalanche Pro Audio can sell you one online via this web order form: http://avalancheproaudio.com/2801.html

by flarocks on 2012-03-05 10:40:30

Thanks for the link! I have emailed them. Mr Perry....is this a common problem? I dont think there is an issue with the thermal sensor and it is getting voltage......LCD seems the culprit. Just wondering if you have seen this before.

by Kneehow on 2012-03-05 11:47:48

I don't think so... the last time I personally encountered an LCD hardware fail was when I first started working here back in 2007-2008. Vetta's were already no longer being made when I was hired. I'd treat it as a part failure, but not a commonplace issue. I think the guy who had a bad LCD (if memory serves) was someone who bought a Vetta I used off of eBay and I think it went through two owners prior, so the history and treatment of his particular amp was questionable.

by thorneven on 2012-03-13 08:43:50

I've had LCD problems on my Vetta 1 for a few years.  I was told by a service technician that the LCD board needs to be replaced.  But since all I have to do is readjust the contrast setting, I haven't bothered.  Plus I just bought a used Vetta 2 in mint condition so bye bye Vetta 1 !

by MerlinFL on 2012-03-13 12:03:39

I strongly suggest that you do not get rid of your Vetta 1.  The Vetta line have been discontinued since 2007 and so has production of replacement parts.  If the only thing wrong with your Vetta 1 is the display, keep the amp as spare parts for your Vetta II.  The day might come when you need a repair which could be done unless there are no more parts left to use to make that repair.

Just a suggestion from soeone who now has (3) Vetta combos just to keep ONE of my Vetta combos working for as long as possible.

I also do have all the new gear as well, but I will always love the Vetta and always use it as my main amp until I'm "forced" for whatever reason to not use it any longer.  There is my Vetta sitting on top of a pair of DT50 1x12 amps.  So much tonal flexibility with all these units, that I really can sound like any guitar on any recording at any time with just steeping on one button on the HD500 pedalboard.  Thi sets me far apart from any other cover band guitarist and adds even more value to not just my ability to play, but my ability to sound like any guitarist I'm covering.

Line 6 rig_2012.jpg

This rig also serves as my bass rig as I play both guitar & bass.  Both are also hooked up to the Roland GR-55 synth which works with both guitar and bass.  It's a terrific unit for anyone needing true synthesizer options like piano, organ, strings, horns, etc.

Take care,

Neal

by thorneven on 2012-03-13 12:12:25

Nice setup, Neal !  Thanks for the tip.  A VERY good idea.  Rock on !   Thorne

by flarocks on 2012-03-14 13:38:05

I, after careful consideration. have sent my head back to Line 6 to get it looked at. I want to keep this thing for as long as I can and want to make sure it is up to snuff as it will be going out on the road with me. I am sure they will be able to take care of the issue. I have been using a Flextone III XL for several years now without a hitch other than the shitty light leak on my Shortboard MkII in sunlight. The Vetta II HD will be used for stereo effects and wet signal stuff. They are killer amps and can run with the Axe Fx stuff for sure. Live who can really tell the subtle differences at playing volumes anyway. I like Line6 stuff...they make it relatively easy to come up with great sounds without program diving. Kept safe in road cases this stuff should last a long time. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.

by MerlinFL on 2012-03-14 14:24:29

I agree with your assessment of the Vetta amp and best of luck to you on your tour!!

Take care,

Neal

by DickFoster on 2012-03-15 14:52:53

I suppose you did try to adjust the display contrast on page one of the system setup menu. You did say you tried turning the temperature compensation on and off but did not say what contrast settings you've tried.

On my Vetta with temp comp set to off, the display will go totally white and blank with a contrast setting of about 7 or higher when the unit is stone cold. With temp compensation on, the display is weakest with the contrast set to 0. I think the default is 6 for both the left and right displays.  

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.