These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Pocket POD's "direct mode" question
by xxpizzapony on 2012-03-05 07:58:47

Hi guys,

when the cabinet tuning on Pocket POD is setted to "direct mode" I must connect the AMP OUT to a "LINE" IN or to an "INST" IN on my external audio interface?

In both cases, the gain pots of the channel must be pointed at "0"?

Pocket POD in "direct mode" works as a Pre Amp? or I need to switch to "instrument" (or use DI) for a correct connection?

I use a soundcard like this and a simple jack-jack instrument cable.

Thanks.

Re: Pocket POD's "direct mode" question
by silverhead on 2012-03-05 08:33:40

I connect my Pocket Pod headphones output (stereo) to a stereo Line In jack/pair on my audio interface/mixer. Adjust volume levels as desired, using either the Pocket Pod or the audio interface/mixer.

by xxpizzapony on 2012-03-05 08:48:40

Hi silverhead!

Your method is the same I've used until the past month, but the signal in this way is recorded stereo and, if I'm not falling in error, it don't seems the better way to proceed.

My question is: is the Pocket Pod, setted in "direct mode" (and using AMP OUT), considerable a pre amp or it need anyway a DI or an INST IN to have the right signal level recorded in the DAW?

Thanks.

by silverhead on 2012-03-05 09:25:34

xxpizzapony wrote:

Your method is the same I've used until the past month, but the signal in this way is recorded stereo and, if I'm not falling in error, it don't seems the better way to proceed...

Why not? If you want to make use of the stereo FX then you can. If you want a full mono signal just use a stereo-mono adapter and you can still have the Line Level signal coming from the headphones jack.

The Pocket Pod manual states that the AMP OUT is an instrument level signal. I've never used it with anything other than an amplifier so I can't comment on your question re: using it with a DAW.

by xxpizzapony on 2012-03-05 09:53:31

Interesting!

So, the AMP OUT is an instrument level signal ever (also with the cabinet tuning putted on "direct mode"), right?

If I want to use a line in I must connect the pocket pod using the phones out necessareily, stereo-to-stereo (useful for stereo-fx) or stereo-to-mono (excluding one side) for a normal mono track. Right?

Thanks again silverhead, very helpful!

by silverhead on 2012-03-05 10:14:34

A true stereo-to-mono adapter will retain both sides of the stereo signal and merge them into a mono signal. It does not simply take one side. That's different from using a straight-mono plug into the stereo jack. The latter will, indeed, take only one side of the signal.

Regarding Line Level vs. Instrument Level: As far as I understand, the AMP OUT is always instrument level, even in Direct Mode. I believe (but am not sure) that the Headphones Out is appropriate for Line Level input. All I know is that I have not had any problem with levels feeding the Headphones Out into my mixer.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.