These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Using Spider Valve 212 mk.II combo as a cab
by rmccaw7 on 2012-03-05 13:48:54

Hey, this is my first post on here, and don't know if this has been asked before.

I want to know whether it is possible to use a 50w head (marshall, orange, peavey, whatever) in tandem with the spider valve mkII 212, bypassing the amp altogether and simply using the speakers of the combo as a cab for the external head, much like the POD HD500 can plug into the power amp and bypass the preamp unit. There are some sounds that I must look elsewhere for, and have found what I'm looking for. However, I can only afford the head, at the moment. Is this idea a feasible option for me?

Cheers

G

Re: Using Spider Valve 212 mk.II combo as a cab
by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-03-06 01:33:01

Hi

Yes you could use the Spider Valve 212 combo as a cab.  You might need to use an in-line female-female 1/4" adapter to enable the speaker cable from the Spider to be extended so that you can plug it in to the Marshall.  Just check the impedance of the Celestion speakers in the Spider Valve combo and which output socket they are plugged into on the Spider Valve amp so that you plug them into the correct impedance output on the Marshall.

Obviously, you would not need to power the Spider Valve and you will need to completely disconnect the speakers from the SV amplifier.  Don't attempt to do what a few users have done (to their extreme regret) and plug the Marshall's output straight in to any socket on the SV as you will kill the SV's output transformer and possibly damage the Marshall as well.  You only need the speakers to be directly connected to your Marshall!

Nick

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.