These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Bogner Alchemist Support : Using as a preamp question.
by Mhal on 2012-03-07 04:35:46

Hello,

I'm trying using my Alchemist as a preamp driving a power amp (actually it's marshall amp and I want to send the preamp signal of the Alchemist to the return of the Marshall amp). The issue is that I have no sound going out of the Marshall in such setup.

Send from the Alchy's FX loop is connected to the Return of Marshall's FX loop (serial loop). The Alchemist on standby or not, no difference no sound from the Marshall. I have to mention that the Alchemist works well.. I have sound coming out from the guitar cab when not on standby.

Could you please help ?

Re: Bogner Alchemist Support : Using as a preamp question.
by laplayantonio on 2012-03-08 03:31:57

most probably, you need inserting a dummy jack into your Marshall's Loop SEND, to activate the RETURN socket

just wondering...

by Mhal on 2012-03-08 06:22:18

Well, thanks for the tip !..even If I think I have tried this already... I'll give it a try on saturday and give you some input back after the test.

by Kneehow on 2012-03-09 15:40:26

Also, does the Marshall have a "footswitchable" FX Loop circuit? On some amps, you have the engage the loop circuit for the Send/Returns to actively pass audio in and out.

Also, try sending the Alchemist FX Send to another destination, i.e. a Mixer or even another amp. This is to verify that the FX Send on it is working correctly.

by Mhal on 2012-03-12 03:53:25

Hello... I can't explain why but I have tried again on saturday and It worked like a charm at the first time without connecting a dummy jack or something. Alchemist' Send straight to Marshall's Return... Anyway, there's something that puzzles me a bit : The manual says " Set the amp to standby if no speakers are connected. For instance, if you are using the amp as a preamp or to drive a slave amp, without a speaker or suitable load box connected, you must set the

amp to standby. Failure to so may cause extensive damage to the amp and its output transformer."

That (should?) means that PREAMP & Send should work on standby... It looks like mine only works when not in standby (meaning that I have to connect another cab and leave volume to zero). Is that normal ?

by Mhal on 2012-03-15 07:29:25

Anyone ?

by laplayantonio on 2012-03-16 05:32:00

hello

our techs confirm your statement (no signal present in the Send socket on standby)

I guess Bogner decided differently in the end on the circuit layout...

in any case, if you want to know why is this, you'd better contact Bogner: http://www.bogneramplification.com/customshop/contact_custom.php

line6antonio

by Mhal on 2012-03-19 05:52:28

Thank you for your confirmation !

by negativefx on 2012-05-31 10:31:05

Good luck Mhal.  I just contacted Bogner for similar info and received this response: "The Alchemist is a Line 6 product, so you will have to contact them regard service and support." Sounds like Bogner wants nothing to do with this amp.  

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.