These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

What a hardware I can use with Toneport UX2 to make guitar sound more heavy?
by toRRnado on 2012-03-09 21:26:04

I just finished a demo for my band recorded with with Toneport UX2 in it's entirety (you can listen it am MySpace page).

I like it's sound but I want more of course

I just thinking - maybe there's some hardware that can help me to develop sound?

Should I use a guitar compressor (before plug guitar into Toneport)?

Should I use some gear in mixing process? And if answer is "Yes!" - what is a gear?

Here is too many questions like these and all of them can be united as one - do you use some hardware with your Toneport? 

Tell me please about your experience or give me an advice.

Re: What a hardware I can use with Toneport UX2 to make guitar sound more heavy?
by bsmith167 on 2012-03-10 09:58:16

I use my entire pedal board in front of my Tone Port DI at times. At the very least, my Dime Distortion is usually in the signal chain as I like its sound a lot better than any of the modeled distortions or overdriven amp sounds available in POD Farm. As long as its output is instrument level, any effect you want to use should work fine. Don't know about the UX1, but my TP has a pad switch on it so it can handle higher level signals as well. I've used it with line outs, DI outs, and headphone outs on various amps with no problems.  I don't think I'd try it with a speaker output though. Matter of fact, now that I think about it, I've had my entire rig, complete with pedal board in front of the amp and rack effects in the loop to feed my TP. I just used the emulated speaker line out on my Randall to feed it and the pad switch to bring the signal down to an acceptable level. Bascially, it was a traditional setup with the TP in place of a mic'ed cabinet.

The only disadvantage to using front end amps, effects and processors is that if you decide you don't like something, you have to do a re-take. For serious recording, I setup my DAW to record the dry signal and basically just use the processed signal for monitoring while I play. Afterwards, I process the dry signal, adding and subtracting effects, models, etc. until my hearts content. If I can't get exactly what I want with the computer, I'll run the signal through external equipment and re-record the output. Provided you start with a decent sampling frequency, there is little signal degradation going digital to analog to analog amps/processors , and then back to digital. Additionally, the analog equipment provides more warmth and, imho, a better sound than a strictly digital setup.

Re: What a hardware I can use with Toneport UX2 to make guitar sound more heavy?
by toRRnado on 2012-03-12 03:14:26

Thank you!

I will try to connect my Rocktron Piranha preamp to Toneport and use it with cabinets...

by Line6Don on 2012-03-16 10:02:17

+1 to bsmith167.

He has provided you with some great suggestions. I use it in the same way, recording a dry signal and processing till i get the sound I like. Then I reamp the dry signal thrhough my tube amp with a far condensor mic for some nice room tone and recombine that with the close mic sound from POD Farm to get a great sound. I would suggest you use a close dynamic mic if you choose to mic up a amp and reamp the dry signal. I suggest this because of the style of music you are playing, it is faster and so a far condensor will just muddy up your tone, use a close dynamic mic to better capture the engery of the riffs.

by JayyykeBurnsRed on 2012-08-26 04:47:39

I checked out your recordings, they sound pretty good already haha you should do a tutorial vid and link me to it

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.