These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Jam

NO SOUND when FBV Express is plugged in
by gregoyen on 2012-03-11 05:50:57

Whenever I plug in my FBV Express into the Spider Jam (or turn it on with the FBV already plugged in), everything goes silent.  I can't get any sound at all out of it, until I power it off and restart it with the pedal unplugged.  Then it goes back to working.  I don't know if the problem is a bad amp or a bad pedal.  Functionally the amp still works the exactly the same when this happens -  just silently.  This means I can still use the guitar tuner, but I can't hear the guitar, any of the recordings, drum tracks, etc.  Help!

Re: NO SOUND when FBV Express is plugged in
by Kneehow on 2012-03-12 10:50:54

The problem could be a bad FBV Express (internally) or more likely, a kinked or broken wire in the CAT-5/Ethernet cable that's connecting the pedal to your amp.

The first thing I'd try is a new ethernet cable, or at least a different one. Most households have one these days, if not you can find them at Best Buy or a computer store for relatively cheap. Also, double-check the pins on both the amp and the FBV Express. If there's a slightly bent data pin on either of the two jacks, that could be it. Corrosion on the pins could also prevent data from being fully passed from one device to the other.

Re: NO SOUND when FBV Express is plugged in
by gregoyen on 2012-03-25 20:49:42

A bad cable was was the first thing I checked for.  I'll examine the pins next.  If I knew the problem was not in the amp itself, I would just buy a new pedal (even though the old one was barely used and shouldn't be broken).  If the pins are fine, can I feel sure that a new pedal will solve my problem?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.