These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

A good power amp pod hd500???
by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-11 19:12:55

Hello Guys!!!!

I Was thinking maybe someone could recommend me a good power amp for church mic into the PA system! i dont want to do it connect it streight to the PA cause i like the fact to control myself the Volume and also i like to hear how the sound is coming out! So the other day i heard this video on youtube and i would like to get the EHX Magnum 44 or 22 but i want some opinions cause i dont want to buy and buy looking for the sound without color it and messing up my tone

So guys help me out

My current setup in my Fender telecaster J5, pod hd500 and my marshall mg100dfx combo amp!

the way i connect it is: Guitar/Pod hd500/AMP into the Fx Return loop.

But to my ears this amp color my sound too way bright!!! and on my HEADphones sounds much better when i doing the tones!!!

HELP ME OUT GUYS PLEASE

Re: A good power amp pod hd500???
by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-11 19:15:34

here is the video i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAY_o6Vt00 and here is my current RIG IMAG0088.jpg

by tonemasterus on 2012-03-12 09:08:59

I use an EH 22 Caliber into a single 1 x 12" cab with excellent results.  I keep the bright switch off.  I use the output select to stack power amp and set the switch on the top of the unit to line.  Very light and convienient set-up.  I keep the Power amp on my pedalboard and carry the 1 x12".

Dave

by howdthattaste on 2012-03-12 09:49:37

@tonemasterus, nice!

i use the EHX .44 Caliber (bright switch on) into a Bogner 2x12. i also set to stack power amp and use Line level output. works great, trunk to stage in one trip.

The Crate Powerblock is another alternative.

You will need an independant spreaker cab though. you can't plug the output of the EHX pedals into the instrument input or fx loop of your marshall combo.

by Krontab on 2012-03-12 11:24:30

Just going to add the obvious. I use a Line6 DT25 and it interfaces flawlessly with the HD500 introducing the proper analog power topology depending on the preamp model used in the hd 500. The DT50 interfaces the same way. If your gonna mic it just get the DT25 as its lighter.

by geeker on 2012-03-12 12:17:03

I like using my HD 400 with my Tech 21.....

IMG_5737.JPG

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-13 13:25:43

could you post a pic from you rig? is it loud enough?

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-13 13:29:34

that your setup color you sounds or tones? cause in my amp doesnt sound the same i my headphone when im practicing at home, but when i connect it to at church the sound is not the same

oh yeah the reason i was asking cause i was thinking to sell my amp and get this pedal and a cabinet and mic for the PA at church!

Does you setup sounds really good???

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-13 13:30:17

i was thinking of getting one but i heard that this amp color your sounds too

by MikeTGreen on 2012-03-13 15:24:08

I had a Tech 21 power engine and it pretty much sounded like what you would here in the headphones.  I only sent it back to GC because it had an annoying hum and it rattled at higher volumes.

Maybe you might want to try one and see for yourself.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-13 15:59:01

oh ok thanks ill keep on mind! but one question at full volume does still sound good?

by MikeTGreen on 2012-03-15 05:50:21

I never really cranked it to full volume because it was making my ears bleed half way up.  I was playing in my man cave and not in an open area.  But like I said, half way up it was rattling way too much for me.  If I were to use this in a live setting and mike it, I'm sure it would bleed through to the mains. But it does have an XLR out.  It was fine at low volume for bedroom level.

I did tighten up all the screws and that did help some.  It just seams to me that should have been done at the factory and tested before it went out for sale.

Personally I'm now only using the HD500 for chorus, delays reverb. now.  I like the sound of my tube amp better than the amp models and the sound of my OCD and Keeley compressor better

than what's in the board.  It's just more natural.  I've spent so much time trying to dial this thing in to sound good with my amp that I just turned a couple knobs on my stomps and instant satisfaction.  Sorry for the long story, I hope this helps on your decision.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-15 20:51:40

it does help me out man and i appreciate your story and advise but what im trying to get is a good sound of this thing! Lincoln Brewster recommend it to connect it directly to the PA system. I heard also in other forums to just get a power monitor and got it connect it to the POD HD500 but im scare tha im not going to like it either... Have you try it like that? i was getting the same idea to just get me a good tube amp and use my pod like a m13 for effects only but i just dont know anymore! im thinking to take my gear to a friend and see if with a tube amp the pod will sound better

thanks man for your advise

by greghall on 2012-03-16 02:37:53

I used the HD500 direct into the PA with a good quality powered monitor for about a year, and it sounded great (prior to that I used the X3L in the same way). This is arguably what the HD500 is designed for. If you can borrow a power monitor, I'd suggest you give it a try. Adjust the EQ for the room and I think you'll be surprised at how good it can sound.

I've more recently switched to using HD500 into a DT25 with direct out into the PA, and after some time tweaking patches, volume levels etc, I think I'm the happiest I've ever been with my tone / rig. So if you are looking to buy a new tube amp, +1 to Krontab's recommendation - it's definately worth a look at. It's designed to work seemlessly with the HD500, and the direct out is very good.

Hope that helps

by MikeTGreen on 2012-03-16 05:35:14

Samuel you can get the HD500 to sound the way you want.  In my case it just took way more time than I had to mess with it.  I was seriously considering forking out some extra coin for that DT amp also, but my tube amp sounds good and I don't need 16 amp models.  If you have the time you should take everyone's input, which is all good, and find what works best for you.  Sound is in the ear of the beholder.  What sounds good to you may not sound good to me vice/versa.  I am a big Lincoln Brewster fan and I play in my church praise and worship band.  He is why I bought my XT Live which I have downloaded his patches into.  I Haven't found any patches by him for my HD500 other than what other people have made and I didn't like them.  One other thing about LB is he is also using BOSS stomps in front of his.  Check out his website. http://www.lincolnbrewster.com/extras.php

After a long two months of trying to get good tone through my tube amp, I'm finally happy with the setup I have.  I hate to say it, but you are going have to tweak tweak tweak until you find what is right for you.  Try to find HD500 Expert Jim Reynolds.  That dude has helped me get mine to sound right.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-03-16 14:38:10

i will do a research about him!!! thanks

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-01 20:19:50

hey i have a question: how loud is it? i know the 1x12 is like a combo amp if im not wrong but loud is it? is it really clean? im running out of budget to get the magnum 44 so i was thinking to get the caliber 22 but i want to know about experience? do you turn off the cabs and mic?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.