These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Compatible pedals with the Spider IV
by Drew762 on 2012-03-15 02:35:31

Hello everyone,

I have a Spider IV 15 amp and I was wondering about the compatability of some pedals with it. Does a multi-fx Zoom G2.1Nu or Boss ME-25 work with the amp ok or are there problems due to the fact that it is an amp modelling model? Even "simpler" pedals for overdrive or sustain like a Boss BD-2 or an MXR Dyna Comp work ok with it or are there problems??? 

All this assuming that we are on the clean channel in order to use the overdrive pedal especially.

I am assuming that the especially the BD-2 and the MXR comp will work fine in the clean channel, i am more interested in the multi-fx pedals. I have looked for some time and I cannot find a decent answer.

Re: Compatible pedals with the Spider IV
by fflbrgst on 2012-03-15 05:50:35

Any standard pedal is going to work with the amp.  However, some effects will work better than others in combination with the amp.  As you have already figured out, using a overdrive pedal on an already-distorted channel will not give good results.  Same thing if you try to add a delay pedal to a tone that has distortion or other time effects like flanging or phasing.

Some FX work better in certain places in the sound chain than others.

by Drew762 on 2012-03-15 06:06:54

Thank you for your helpful response.

As sound and tone goes of course every amp-guitar-fx will have differences. Taking into consideration the room in which you are playing in. I am still not sure if I want a multi-fx pedal or just an overdrive-sustain combination. The thing is that I definetely want something to give me better sustain but I am not sure as to what will happen with a multi-fx pedal.

by fflbrgst on 2012-03-15 06:14:38

You will get more sustain from using a pedal with compression.  Adding compression after EQ, but before distortion is the best way to do it.

by Drew762 on 2012-03-15 06:43:31

Probably going to go for EQ-comp-overdrive pedals in that order

BUT

I also wonder if a multi-fx pedal will work ok on the clean. Like the  Zoom G2.1Nu lets say.

by fflbrgst on 2012-03-15 10:38:24

I'm not familiar with that pedal, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.   I plugged my acoustic into my Spider IV 75 Clean Red channel and get a very good clean sound, reproducing exactly what comes from th guitar's pickup, the same as I hear it if I record using the same pickup.

I guess if you are happy with your Spider 15, any FX pedals you buy would be extra 'candy'.   But for $200 for the Zoom - scrape up another $100 and you can get the Spider 75 with all of its great fx, presets and features (although you'll need an FBV controller to access everything of course).

by Dan27826 on 2012-05-26 10:14:18

Just put your line 6 spider amp on clean channel and turn off the tap (if its on), turn off the mid and drive , keep the and treble in the middle, also keep the channel vol low. Keep everything else off. This is the setting i use with my boss ME effect pedal. Sounds great ! and should work with every effect pedal. The effects on the line 6 amp are and models are also good but can't beat them on the Boss ME

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.