These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

GearBox Silver Bundle free upgrade to Gold? How?
by schnauzr on 2012-03-23 21:43:42

Hi Guys,

My apologies in advance if this has been covered before, but I'm very new to the Line6 family, having recently picked up a GearBox Silver Plugin bundle (with TonePort DI).  I haven't played guitar in many, many years and am just getting back into it, this is my first foray into amp modeling software!

Reading the following article: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4498">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4498">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4498 it states that "As of August 1st, 2008, all TonePort DI-Silver Bundle devices receive a complimentary free update to Gold Bundle status."

My question is, how can I go about upgrading my Silver bundle to the Gold bundle for free?  I've tried checking for updates in Line 6 Monkey, checking the "Optional Add-Ons" tab (which takes me to the Line 6 License Manager), checking within License Manager (and making sure my DI-S and computer are fully authorized), but I am unable to find any place within these applications that may allow me this free upgrade.

Most of the discussion articles I can find mention a "License Refresh" method but this only seemed to apply when the "Optional Add-Ons" tab was part of Line 6 Monkey (and didn't fire up the separate License Manager app) because I am unable to replicate these instructions in License Manager.

I've disabled firewall software to check for updates as well, no luck.  I've ensured that all possible software (drivers, gearbox, monkey, license manager, etc) are all at their most recent versions.

I'd be greatly appreciative if someone can point me in the right direction to obtain the Gold bundle.  i'm sure I've overlooked something simple... thank you!

Re: GearBox Silver Bundle free upgrade to Gold? How?
by schnauzr on 2012-04-01 10:43:35

Guys, any ideas?  Is there an actual Line 6 tech support phone number I can call and ask about this?

by BigChas52 on 2012-04-01 10:53:12

What licenses does it show that you have in License Manager? When you fire up GearBox 3.72, or POD Farm 1.12 do you see just the basic models, or all of them?

by schnauzr on 2012-04-03 05:35:33

Hello,

In license manager, under "Devices" from the left side there is my Computer (with computer name, and status "Authorized YES"), and then it shows the TonePort DI-S, again with "Authorized YES".

There's nothing else in license manager.

Firing up POD Farm 1.12 it would appear I only see the basic models... I say this because I am unable to use some presets because some of the amp models are unavailable.  For example the "Mississippi Criminal" model says "This model is not authorized for use with the connected device".  I cannot select the "Diety Crunch" model because it gives me the same error.  In another preset I am unable to use the "Blue Comp" pedal.

In GearBox 3.72 I can use the dropdown to get to the "Gold Bundle" but anything in there that I select gives me an error that the tone I selected uses models not installed in my TonePort DI-S and asks for me to select substiute models.

I assume the DI-G Gold bundle provides all these models for usage, so that's why I was trying to get the complimentary free update to Gold per the information on the Line 6 site posted above.

by BigChas52 on 2012-04-03 16:07:40

Can you send a screen shot of the DI-S authorization page?  Something doesn't sound right?

by schnauzr on 2012-04-03 19:30:23

license_man.jpg

by BigChas52 on 2012-04-03 19:38:38

Defininitely a problem there.  You should see at least GearBox and POD Farm.  Both should be in italics, since they are built in. 

I'm assuming you have the latest drivers?  Is that DI-S registered to your Line 6 account?  If not, it should be.  If it is, try deauthorizing it and then reauthorizing it.  Beyond that. I'm stuck.

by schnauzr on 2012-04-03 19:52:16

Hi, yes I have all the latest software, and it's definitely registered:

monkey.jpg

l6_page.jpg

by BigChas52 on 2012-04-04 08:46:47

You may have registered it wrong.  It looks to be registered as TonePort DI-Bundled.  See if you can register it as TonePort DI-Silver.  DI-Bundled does not qualify for upgrade to Gold or POD Farm.

by schnauzr on 2012-04-04 17:44:20

Well, I deauthorized the TonePort first removing it from the Line 6 web page, then it prompted me to continue the deauthorization process by finishing it up in License Manager.

I deauthorized in License Manager, disconnected the unit, reconnected it, restarted License Manager, had it scan for devices, and the DI-S popped up as normal, but Authorized said NO as expected.  I then authorized it through License Manager, and checked my account online.  My newly registered unit showed up as.... TonePort DI-Bundled

Well, what you say would explain why I can't get the Gold upgrade to work.  I can only fathom that when I purchased this unit, I didn't get an actual TonePort DI-Silver Plugin unit.  I bought it secondhand and the description of it did mention the Silver plug-in, and could have been inaccurate, but the License Manager clearly sees it as a DI-S.  So I really don't know what to say/do on this.

The serial number that automatically shows up on the Line 6 website when I authorize my TonePort through the License Manager is consistent with what a DI-Bundled serial would look like (starts with 21GP1).  I have not manually added the below unit, it just shows up after authorization:

reg_bundled.jpg

So am I just out of luck?  Is there any way to verify what kind of unit I actually have?  Does Line 6 have phone tech support?

Thanks so much for your help BigChas52

by BigChas52 on 2012-04-05 16:00:50

I believe that you have the DI-Bundled unit, which I believe may have come with a starter GuitarPort Online Subscription, or something like that.  Here is what the auth for GearBox Silver looks like

Capture.JPG

by Line6Tony on 2012-04-12 11:17:31

I checked the device serial and it is a DI-Bundled, so it cannot be upgraded.

by schnauzr on 2012-04-24 05:13:31

Ok thanks Tony and Chas for your help.  I guess this makes sense then, I was being fooled by the fact that all the Line 6 software reports this as a DI-S unit.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.