These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD500 and vox amplug
by vertigo84 on 2012-03-28 04:07:15

Hello!

I`m rather new with the Pod HD and I`ve a doubt on how to connect a vox amplug (or any other external unit)

Should I connect the amplug to the L/MONO FX RETURN and then use the pod FX LOOP  in the signal chain? Is also the right return ok?

Thanks!

Re: Pod HD500 and vox amplug
by jimsreynolds on 2012-03-28 04:30:57

I don't really see why would need an Amplug .... the HD does everything that it does, only better.  In fact, the Amplug will have amp modelling/speaker emulation which will  'compete' with the HD modelling so it may be counterproductive to use it.  I would really give it a miss if I were you.

If you really wanted to use the Amplug then I would suggest that you turn off amp modelling on the HD and just using effects on the HD instead.  In this instance, the Amplug would probably best be connected:

• HD 1/4" Out --> Amplug Guitar In
  • Amplug Headphone jack --> Headphones.

I don't think there is a 1/4" out on the Amplug so, without using special cables, this is the best you will get.

For normal guitar stompboxes and units, you can put them either in front of the HD , after the HD, or in the HD FX Loop (HD400/500/Pro only).  Which you choose  dependis on where you want them in the signal chain.  Also, whether you want to be able to turn them on/off using the POD and whether you are happy to sacrifice an FX Loop in the signal chain.

by Line6david on 2012-04-10 11:26:40

+1 to jimsreynolds,

Using the Ampulg may be somewhat of a moot point. but the connections listed are correct:

• HD 1/4" Out --> Amplug Guitar In
  • Amplug Headphone jack --> Headphones.

Thanks,

David

by valeb63 on 2012-08-01 01:55:23

I disagree on the answer of jimsreynolds. The question of Vertigo was clear: if I wanted to use the vox amplug, what better connect on POD I do?
I also have a vox amplufg exactly I connect asv Vertigo. Using the connections send / return fx loop and insert in the chain of effects. Then I turn off the SIM amps of the pod. fx loop allows me to vary the parameters of EQ to my liking.
The POD is a great unit developped to be versatile to accommodate third-party. I don't think line6 is offended if i wants to connect components of other brands.
Vertigo, I plug my VOX amplug like you . There are more letterature on WEB regarding the bad simulation of AC30 in a POD HD500, and the testing of pre-amp as a liverpool, joyo ac30, vox amplug, connected in send /return , often with better results

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-01 02:24:54

That's cool.  Everyone has their own perception and expectactions of sound and it may well be that a different hookup and options work better for some people than others.  I have not actually tried a Vox amplug and it may sound just great.  However, their capabilities are suited to their role - affordable practice device.

I think the AC30 on the HD is pretty good but  As is often the case, the default settings are not necessarily where I would like them to be.  I tweak and I like.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.