These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Monkey shows Pod HD installed flash memory as "-"
by clinnenb on 2012-04-02 02:35:39

Line 6 Monkey v.1.5.1 SW shows Pod HD400 Flash Memory Installed as "-".  I've tried the following with no change in behavior:

1) Factory reset the POD

2) Disconnect Pod HD400 Uninstall all Line6 SW/Drivers from the PC, cold reset the PC, reinstalled Line6 SW/Drivers, Power Cycle Pod HD400, reconnec HD400 to PC, Launch Monkey.

I see several forum posts regarding similar issue with no further recommendations besides RMA, which scares me this problem is that common.

Re: Monkey shows Pod HD installed flash memory as "-"
by silverhead on 2012-04-02 07:27:52

You don't say that you have tried reinstalling the flash memory using Monkey.  I would use HD400 Edit to backup any presets I wanted to save and reload later, and then I would reinstall the HD400 firmware (aka flash memory).

by clinnenb on 2012-04-05 23:23:14

I can't "reinstall the flash memory" as the "update selection" button is greyed out when I higlight the "flash memory" line in "monkey".  Installed column shows "-" but newest shows "1.31".  The POD HD400 LCD screen shows "POD HD400 1.03" when powered on, and all the functions seem to work fine for now, except I can't update the box through USB.  Interestingly:

1) the Windows 7 playback and recording devices control panel options show "Line 6 POD HD400" available using driver version(s) 4.2.5.1.

2) The Monkey SW shows USB FW version 1.01 Installed

3) The Monkey SW shows detects the POD HD400 connected over USB.

The Monkey SW just doesn't seem to detect the installed Flash memory version, and hence can't enable any install buttons.

Additionally, HD400Edit shows "No Line 6 device connected." so I couldn't back-up anything if I wanted to, though I just took the unit out of the box, so I haven't anything yet to back-up.

by HTSMetal on 2012-04-07 06:05:05

I hope someone can answer this question or replicate these results, as I am having the exact same problem with Line 6 Monkey and a POD HD 300.

by silverhead on 2012-04-07 06:14:45

You could try downloading the firmware directly and installing it manually using Monkey. To do that:

- got to the Downloads section using the tab at the top right of this page.

- select the firmware/flash memory for your OS and download the file to your computer

- run Monkey

- highlight the Flash Memory line in Monkey.

- in the bottom right area of the Monkey window there should be a button that says Update from File. Select this and navigate to the downloaded file

Hope this helps.

by fentemple on 2012-04-07 07:07:34

Same problem here. HD300.

by HTSMetal on 2012-04-07 18:54:22

I downloaded the Flash Memory from Line 6, but get this -- Monkey isn't showing any button that says update from file, so I'm still stuck. I never had a problem with Monkey recognizing my HD300's flash memory version until I recently updated Monkey to 1.53 -- maybe the new version of Monkey is playing a role in this?

Monkey is also no longer showing my POD HD300's ESN -- it just says "None". Everything else (USB Firmware & Drivers) are showing up as up-to-date, and fine. Monkey recognizes the POD, just not the flash memory.

Not only that, but now POD HD300 Edit is changing portions of my presets on its own -- when I load any preset I've previously saved onto my unit, Edit will automatically replace my choice of cabinet for any given preset to the default cab that belongs with the amp model I'm using. Same thing goes for my choice of mic.

Wonder what gives?

by broacherx on 2012-04-07 19:55:13

Same here POD HD 400.  Windows 7

by clinnenb on 2012-04-07 21:27:51

My Line6 Monkey v1.53 also fails to recognize the ESN and hasn't a "update from file" button when selecting the "flash memory" row in the updates tab.  I was hoping to have the latest update on this equipment before I play guitar in front of 200 people tomorrow, but perhaps I'll have to revert back to my already proven reliable legacy equipment.  Please know I'm dissatisfied with both Line6 product quality and support response with this rather significan't recent purchase.

by fentemple on 2012-04-08 23:29:50

Bump.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-04-09 01:57:09

Drivers can be a big deal with this kind of thing.  Try

1. Unplug the USB lead to the POD at the PC end.
  2. Run up the 'Line 6 Uninstaller' from the start menu (or equivalent on a Mac)
  3. Use the Line 6 Uninstaller to uninstall the drivers for the Line 6 HD (whichever model).
    tmp.gif
  4. Reboot the PC.  This will clear down any locked files.  Leave the USB cable unplugged for now.
  5. Start up Line 6 Monkey and reinstall the latest drivers. 
  6. When prompted:  plug in the USB connection to the POD. 
  7. Wait ... it can take a few minutes for the POD drivers to fully recognise and configure the POD.on USB.  There is a little animated icon that appears down in the system tray when  you plug the POD in for the first time.  It will stop the animation when the HD is fully installed.  My recommendation?  Go and make coffee then come back.
  8. When the drivers have finished installing:  restart Monkey. 

Check that Monkey is seeing everything correctly and try running the updates to firmware now.   If it works ... cool.  If not, unplug the USB from the PC end and try another port on the PC ... repeat from step 7.

by fentemple on 2012-04-09 04:00:52

Monkey still has the same problem after re-installing the driver. 

by HTSMetal on 2012-04-09 08:30:34

Strangely enough, as of this morning this problem has spontaneously resolved itself for me. I haven't rebooted my computer or reinstalled anything; Monkey suddenly recognizes my HD300's flash memory. However, my ESN is still not recognized.

Pretty weird if you ask me, especially since everyone else is suddenly having the same issue. Anybody else's problem resolve itself?

by Line6Hugo on 2012-04-11 12:02:14

Hello,

It sounds like there is a communication problem with the POD HD400 and that computer so far with what you have provided us.  You have already re-installed the Line 6 drivers and software to no avail.  Please follow Jimreynold's recommendation to re-install the drivers and to test every USB port on the computer.  Completely remove all other USB devices from the computer while troubleshooting this (except for a mouse and keyboard on a desktop computer).  Completely remove ANY USB hubs, even if not in use, and test the HD400 on all of the computer's USB ports.

If the problem persists, it may be a hardware problem with the POD and I would suggest testing on a different computer to confirm this.  If the problem is the same there, the POD HD400 would need to be serviced:

http://line6.com/service_centers/">http://line6.com/service_centers/">http://line6.com/service_centers/

Please let us know your results trying the recommendations above.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by TheRealZap on 2012-04-11 12:52:54

last time i looked there was no ESN on any of the HD units....

the ESN is used by the XT/X3 devices for licensing addons...

there are no addons for the HD units... so it wont matter anyway.

by clinnenb on 2012-04-11 13:22:19

Thank you for the recommendation, I will try this when I have a free hour or two.

by clinnenb on 2012-04-11 13:30:07

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers several times with three different USB ports.  Unfortunately, most computers have only a few USB controllers, but use internal hubs to create 10+ USB ports, so those hubs cannot be removed.  IN persistence, I will try disconnecting all other USB devices, and see if another driver uninstall/reinstall cycle produces any different results.  I will also try another computer to see if results vary there as well.

Regardless, a driver that requires removing all other USB hubs and devices by definition has bugs and needs fixed.  Additionally, I suspect the Windows 7 provided audio device driver may cause some conflicts as well, but I haven't enough data to conclude anything here yet.

by clinnenb on 2012-04-14 00:02:33

I tried the following process with no workaround to the line6 bugs.

1. Disconnect HD400 from WIN7 PC
  2. Uninstall HD400 Driver
  3. Shutdown computer
  4. Power-on computer
  5. Start Line6 Monkey
  6. Install latest HD400 driver
  7. Plug-in HD400 USB to PC when prompted by driver install
  8. Wait for WIN7 notification area message: "driver install complete".
  9. Open Line6 Monkey
  10. Check "Flash Memory" version: reads "-"

I repeated steps 7-10 on all 8 external USB connections with no change in the Line6 defect behavior.

Please note in the attached screen shots of the Line6 bug behavior.

WIN7 Device Manager indicates successful device installation of HD400 driver

DeviceManager.png

Line6 Audio MIDI Devices control panel indicates successful connection to HD400 device

Audio-MIDI Devices.png

Line6 Monkey shows successful connection to HD400 device, but "-" installed "Flash Memory" version

Monkey.png

Line6 Monkey "Choose Device" menus shows successful detection of HD400 device

Monkey-ChooseDevice.png

HD400Edit shows "No device connected"

HD400Edit.png

I've now spent over 6 hours debugging what I, and several other forum users, would now conclude a Line6 defect.  Considering my billable rate with a relevant BSEE degree, I've now doubled my investment in this defective HD400 HW/SW combination and have to consider this purchase a severe disappointment with competitor's products looking far more viable solutions.

I plan to repeat the 10 steps above except completly removing all Line6 software, as well as repeating the 10 steps above on a second WIN7 machine.  In the mean time, please try to reproduce and debug these failures on a Line6 POD HD400 with firmware v1.03 and post your results.

by clinnenb on 2012-04-14 00:41:09

Complete uninstall, reboot, reinstall of all Line6 software also fails to resolve the Line 6 Monkey software from properly detecting the HD400 flash memory version.

by clinnenb on 2012-04-14 00:43:19

Failure continues after trying a driver reinstall, and a completely software uninstall, reboot reinstall flow.  The Line 6 Monkey software can't seem to properly detect the HD400 flash memory version 1.03 on my WIN7 machine.

by Tonedeaf101 on 2012-04-15 04:17:50

My HD400 is showing 1.31 on boot up, but monkey(Win 7) has a "-" also in the current slot and 1.31 in the newest slot. You can't select Update as it is greyed out so what is concerning me when a new flash arrives for download, will we be able to do it. I am thinking not :-(

I have also unplugged everything and reinstalled everything I can but no difference. I have even made Monkey run as XP version and as Administrator in compatability mode but that has no effect.

by humungusfungus on 2012-04-18 02:08:18

I had the same problem, monkey did not show the Flash memory of my HD300.

I reinstalled the newest drivers but that didn't work.

After using another USB cable (from my MIDI keybord) it works now.

Maybe that helps...

by Vicktoor on 2012-04-30 21:03:52

QUE DEFECTUOSO ESTA LLEVO HORAS INTENTANDO QUE EL PROGRAMA DE LINE 6 POD HD 400 EDIT PUEDA LEER MI PEDAL Y ME APARECE NO LINE 6 DEVICE CONNECTED.. Y SIGUE APARECIENDO UN ERROR EN FALSH MEMORY DEL MONKEY PROGRAM NO PUEDO INSTALAR EL FLASH MEMORY Y NO LE MI DEDAL EL LINE 6 POD HD EDIT

by Prolitiker on 2012-05-01 05:38:48

Un- and reinstalling all Line6-Software, resetting my POD HD300, trying several USB-Ports on my PC - without success. Line6-Monkey still shows "ESN: None" and a "-" for installed Flash Memory.

Line6 - please GO AN FIX THIS BUG as soon as possible! I didn´t buy the POD HD to waste my time on software issues!

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-01 05:40:08

there is no ESN on the HD pods....

you likely have a bad install of the drivers...

by laszlov2 on 2012-05-01 06:32:52

Uhmm, I don't wan't to sound snarky or something. But did you guys conect your HD300 or 400 to the power suply?

I just helped some one with exact the same problem, and it turned out she hadn't conected it to the power suply.

by sdfmaster on 2012-05-04 15:57:58

Same problem with my HD 300 ; after updating to 1.31, the version of the flash memory is not showing up : got a '-' in the Installed column!

by sdfmaster on 2012-05-04 22:54:17

Funny !

Go to bed, sleep, wake up and connect you pod hd again and it works the version appears again in Monkey!

I think this soft worth its name!

Enjoy!

by Prolitiker on 2012-06-25 02:59:50

Now that I have installed Line 6 Monkey v.1.57 the version of the installed flash memory is shown again.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.