These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

new metal/shred patches posted
by meambobbo on 2012-04-03 09:18:13

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneDemo/

Clipsand Setting Pics coming soon.

I'll try to get them on customtone soon as well.

Re: new metal/shred patches posted
by Akeron on 2012-04-03 09:27:54

No observations on the tones because I haven't tried them yet but, I have to say the correct name is "Rhoads" not "Rhodes". I'm waiting for the clips

by meambobbo on 2012-04-03 12:10:39

good call

patches are up on customtone as well:

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/meambobbo/

">http://line6.com/customtone/profile/meambobbo/">http://line6.com/customtone/profile/meambobbo/

by meambobbo on 2012-04-04 08:45:56

I have updated my Rhoads, Slash, and EVH tones to use the new Plexi model, as well as the cab DEP's

by scottishanakin on 2012-04-05 13:40:24

Hi Meambobbo,

I've been waiting for the new firmware release and, following the update process, I downloaded your new setlist and put it on my HD500. The patches are fantastic - I particularly like the EVH tones and the tones you've rebuilt using the new Plexi model. My renditions of The Darkness, ACDC and G'n'R sound very convincing (or at least, they would if my playing was a bit better!).

Whilst copying your setlist over to the HD, I did see an error message:

Error message.JPG

I restarted everything as per the message above, then tried again, with the same warnings, but continued on to the try the tones. The tones seem to be working fine, but I can see a "DSP OVER" warning message on the HD screen when I've selected some of the patches (e.g. all the Petrucci Dream Theatre patches, three of the four Steve Vai patches, Scar Symmetry, Periphery Lead, Clean Fender and Clean Chimp) - does your HD show these signs, or do you think I've got an issue with my particular HD? The firmware update went fine and I did both resets before putting on your setlist.

Regardless, thanks very much for making these patches available - now to lose a few happy hours of my life playing the new sounds...

Cheers!

by meambobbo on 2012-04-05 17:15:51

Ffffuuuuuuu.......

I know they work even with 2.0 because I used them last night - I think it has something to do with saving in Edit when not connected to an actual Pod.  I got similar issues from people on The Gear Page with a GNR patch that I saved in Edit while I wasn't connected to the Pod.

let me go check and fix and save the setlist and try to load it.

by meambobbo on 2012-04-05 20:22:00

ok, so there was a weird issue going on, having something to do with using my old patches instead of completely rebuilding them in the new firmware.  the patches looked correct, but in some of the null effects block, if you placed the cursor over it in the pod's editor window it would show one of the old effects I used to have on the patch, and it would then say "DSP over" but the patch would still work.  I set all these blocks to no effect like they should be on the pod itself.

they should all work correctly now.  my customtone patches have been taken down and re-uploaded.  i haven't filled back in the details yet, so searching for them probably won't work - pull them up from my profile name.

by scottishanakin on 2012-04-06 04:03:32

Thanks very much for taking a look at this - I'm glad to hear that I don't have an issue with my pod after all!

Looks like another bug fix for Line6 to take a look at - in the meantime, I'll go through the patches and re-select Null for the null blocks and see if that stops the "DSP OVER" message being displayed. Did you make any other changes to the tones? Will you be reposting the modified setlist on your web page?

Thanks again for the tones and keep up the good work - they sound amazing!

by meambobbo on 2012-04-06 07:03:47

everything has been reposted - all the patches and the setlist.  and i re-posted them on customtone as well, although customtone doesn't technically delete the old ones - you can still find them via search, but if you just look at the ones for my profile, you'll only see the new ones.

if what i did doesn't fix them, then i'm going to have to rebuild all my patches from scratch.......SIGH......

but I think it should be fine now.

by scottishanakin on 2012-04-06 12:41:18

Cheers, buddy - you're a star!

by jimsreynolds on 2012-04-07 13:02:45

Meam .  Finally got to my HD today and brought up everything to support V2.02.  Also grabbed a copy of your patches.   Loving the new Plexi model and your patches sound badass to me !!  Interestingly your Vai with modulation patch is great for 'Rain' by 'The Cult'

Nice work.

by meambobbo on 2012-04-07 19:18:57

hehe, good to know!

glad to hear you like them, jim

oh and call me bobbo - me am is just bad grammar to produce a unique screen name from a while back and I use it for most forums now.

by johnnyayyy on 2012-04-07 19:48:37

meambobbo wrote:

call me bobbo - me am is just bad grammar to produce a unique screen name from a while back and I use it for most forums now.

More praise here, excellent work as usual sir.

I will be very interested to hear your clips when they are available

by Warfare on 2012-04-09 07:23:45

Hi Bobo !

I would have few questions for you. I'm using Pod HD Bean in direct mode with a pair of monitors M Audio BX8a (connected with 2 x 1/4" double shielded wires).

After few test with your presets, seems low frequencies are missing and gain is not so high. I'm sure something is not well configured within my gear ... could you please help ?

Cheers,

Warfare

by meambobbo on 2012-04-09 08:47:45

i have the same monitors.  i find the patches have not a whole lot of bass, but enough.  i find they should fit fine in a mix, and i tried to get them as close to the original artists as possible.  for guitars, most of the standard tuning or 1/2 step down stuff I dialed in with my EBMM JPM with the older pickups.  For the 7/8 string stuff, I used an Ibanez RGA 8 with blackouts.  The blackouts definitely have more bass, so it's dialed back in front the amp a bit more, which is really apparent on the Meshuggah patches.  The Periphery patches are a bit thin on bass, but I think that's how their tone goes - I think they have one guitar that fills in more low end, and then a thick distorted bass track.  I went for Misha's tone, which from all the videos i've seen of him and the raw guitar parts apparent in some intros on the album, is quite midsy and thin.

make sure on the monitors you have the low cutoff frequency set all the way down.  I also keep all the other settings to be as bright as possible.

another thing to keep in mind is the room you are playing in.  if you have bass nodes, there will in general be less bass, except at very narrow ranges, like a single frequency.  the room I usually play in is pretty bad in this regard, so I dial my patches in on my monitors and headphones.  i'll be moving soon and am going to add some acoustic treatment to the new room, so i should be able to EQ the patches a bit better.

but in general I don't shoot for tones with lots of chug-a-chug bass.  i find that's cool when you're playing by yourself in a bedroom, but it's not good for a full mix.

by dwmayer on 2012-07-23 14:53:10

Dear Line 6: without undue offense to your preset creation staff, do have a look at the amazing work this guy's done...and consider giving him a job for the next firmware rollout/POD product release. He really, really understands what your product can do and how to maximize its performance. Thank you.

Everyone who's downloaded this patch bank

by meambobbo on 2012-07-24 19:39:30

$_$

I will actually have a set list out next month that blows the ones up there away. Figured out some new stuff which is getting added to the guide. IT WILL BE GLORIOUS

by drid05 on 2012-07-25 05:58:24

Looking forward to it Bobbo. Greatly appreciate all of your research, effort and amount of time you've sacrificed. My knowledge as an end user of the product has increased tremendously.

@ Warfare: I have almost the same speakers BX5A's and noticied the same thing. I was a little startled when I listed to them alone. But once I dropped them in a mix, had a good bass guitar tone in there and kick drum.. Its butter.

METAL

by scottishanakin on 2012-07-25 12:40:52

Cool - I'm really looking forward to the new set of patches! A new set of great tones always inspires me to play a bit more often.

At the risk of sounding like an HD300/400 owner, which I'm not (flame suit on), what's the expected release date? When, when, WHEN?  ;-)

by meambobbo on 2012-07-25 13:17:25

lol - i'm happy to give a projected date

I'm in the process of moving, so my rig is down until at least next week, maybe even the one after.  That said, most of the patches are relatively finalized.  The big issue for me is that I need to swap out some pickups in one of my guitars, so the 7/8 string patches won't be ready for at least a month.  I should be able to post most patches by mid-August, the 7/8 string ones by September, and the big revision to the guide and tone demo by October.

When I post the patches, I will be asking for clips from other users, however.  So the tone demo may finally get done faster than anticipated.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-25 16:58:56

meambobbo wrote:

lol - i'm happy to give a projected date

"Soon"

by meambobbo on 2012-07-26 18:03:15

i also wanted to let people know I really took to heart the criticism here and I think everyone will find the new tones much better for getting out some good warmth and punch, as well as not having annoying ultra-high frequencies.  The Cab DEP's and Mid-Focus EQ have been really helpful to get those things right.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.