These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

question on the input impedance and question on output mode
by Santuzzo on 2012-04-03 16:46:30

Hi,

First of all, thanks Line6 for the new update! Aweosme to get even more amp models.

I have a quesiton on the input impedance, though: I did read the chapter on the input impedance in the manual, but honestly, I'm still very confused about it.

Could someone explain the input impedance thing in simple terms for me?

I always thought it is something that has to do with the impedance of the pick-ups on my guitar? Is that wrong?

What should I set the impedabnce to?

Another qustion: this one regards the output mode: 

Is there a way of saving the output mode within a preset? So for instance if I had a preset I use live with my HD500 connected to my power amp and cab that when I load that preset it will automatically set the output mode to stack power amp, and on the other hand if I have a recording preset, can I save the output mode studio/direct along with the preset?

This would be aweosme if this is possible.

Thanks,

Lars

Re: question on the input impedance and question on output mode
by daferalo on 2012-04-03 17:14:22

Hi Folk,

In regard to the output mode question, the answer is no. The output mode is a global option and it is not save per preset. You just choose it in the setup menu. That is why it is very useful to have different user patches for the "same" tone, one for each situation you have (i. e, one for using at live, another for using at recording).

In regard to the impedance question, you should set the impedance according to the first block you have in your signal chain (although remember that in music there are no rules!!!!). To do so, you could just "Auto" for this option, and the POD will do the rest. This feature tries to emulate what would happen with real stomp pedals and amps. The impedance could be understood as a more complete "resistance" (ohm's law) that appears in a electrical circuit, and it is supposed to affect more passive pickups than active ones, speaking technically.

Best Regards,

Daf

by meambobbo on 2012-04-03 18:46:01

for the output settings, you CAN set the output mode to Studio/Direct which enables cab/mic simualtion when you select a cab but does not if you select "no cab".  so then you can have some patches that use cab/mic emulation and others that don't.  for the other output modes, selecting a cab enables "live-voiced cabs" which is a mild EQ effect that is designed to be used when using a real cab or an external IR and the mic choice doesn't have any impact on the tone.

input impedance changes the circuitry used to connect the Pod's guitar input into its internal A/D converters.  This relates to how the current is transferred.  At higher impedance settings, the signal is a bit louder and has a sharper resonant peak in the upper midrange, so the tone it brighter.  also, the signal transfer is stronger, so the response is tighter.  lower input impedance settings give you the opposite results.  the auto setting sets the impedance according to what the first turned on effect in the chain is.  the input settings can be global or per patch.

by Santuzzo on 2012-04-05 17:26:49

Thanks guys! I appreciate your answers.

According to my understanding the impedance is the resistance (in ohm) of the guitar pick-ups. Is that correct?

So, wouldn't that mean that I'd have to set the input impedance on the HD500 according to the output of mu guitar's pick-ups?

Or am I getting this wrong?

Thanks,

Lars

by daferalo on 2012-04-05 17:51:53

Hi Santuzzo,

I say that the impedance could be understood as a more complete term of the resistance, according to ohm's law, because it has a real term and an imaginary one. The real term is the same resistance, as everybody knows it, but the resistance is related to only DC type circuits. When you have an AC circuit, then the imaginary term appears in the equation as a result of the wave form of the current. Both are measured in ohm. The impedance could be understood as a property, because it is the way that something reacts, in terms of resistance to current flow.

Of course, your pickups have their own impedance values, and they are related to the resonance frecuency. But the impedance you can adjust in the pod is meant to match not your pickups, but the first block you have in your signal path, in order to emulate better what would happend with real amps and effects. As Meambobbo pointed, higher values result in a brighter tone. If you are going to follow the recommendations or you want just to have the same "real" response, just set the impedance as "auto" and the pod will do the rest. But it is a good practice to probe different values, it would bring different tastes!!! Do not be afraid of playing with this option.

Best Regards,

Daf

by Santuzzo on 2012-04-06 08:01:22

Thank you very much!

I think I will experiement a bit and see which settings I like best, or just use the autio function.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.