These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Updating JTV-69 to 1.81 fails
by gcraenen on 2012-04-04 08:18:03

Hi,

I'm trying to update my JTV-69 to the new 1.81 firmware with the latest L6 Monkey, but it keeps on failing with this output:

Update failed.

(Code 8000710A) Firmware code checksum failed.

Any ideas?

And what's worse. All patches in the Variax are gone. This is really crap!

Re: Updating JTV-69 to 1.81 fails
by silverhead on 2012-04-04 08:40:07

Please check the version of Monkey that you are using. It should be v1.53

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-04 09:28:22

Also, what are you using as your VDI cable interface?

by gcraenen on 2012-04-06 00:15:07

Hi,

I'm using the latest version (1.53) of Monkey and a newly bought VDI cable to connect the Variax to the HD 500. The HD 500 is then connected to my Macbook with a USB cable.

I've been trying several times to upgrade the last day. All presets on the Variax were erased, so I could only use the Variax in the "magnetic" mode. Finally, after 14 or more times, the upgrade succeeded. Although it took a very long time. I didn't change the setup, so I don't know why it didn't work before.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-06 01:59:32

Sorry you experienced problems, but I'm pleased you eventually resolved the issue.  I'm not a Mac expert I'm afraid so I wouldn't have been much help there. The JTV update process does take about 20-25 minutes and I find the best thing to do is to let the process run its course fully without using the computer for any other tasks whatsoever whilst it does its thing during any flash update whether it be for a POD, Variax or whatever.  There's less chance of some other process hitting the USB buss or a cable being disturbed that way.  Anyhow all's well that ends well.  Well done

Cheers

Nick

by pinoguitar on 2012-04-06 04:57:54

Hi!

In general first of all, always doing a backup of the sounds before to changing something!!

I got some some fails while flashing on a Mac OSX 10.6.8 too. I did flash a several times because of the problems in v1.8 I posted in my other threads. On PC it always worked out well.

But flashing twice finally worked out on my Mac too.

Did you try to use the USB-Interface that comes with the JTV directly into the Mac, without the HD500?

Greets, Pino

by spikey on 2012-04-06 07:36:51

Im not a mac expert either, but I used a mac on my HD pro and Variax (thru it) upgrade and my update went just fine the first time... fyi...

by Lilliestudio on 2012-04-13 11:55:17

Hi all.

I am having the same problem as gcraenen with my jtv-59 and although I've tried everything I could think of, I'm having no success yet. Its really frustrating. Any ideas?

by stephencaldow on 2012-04-28 03:25:07

Hi there,

I'd like to join the club of being extremely frustrated at this new 1.81 update. Using the latest Line 6 Monkey software I proceeded to update from 1.71 to the new 1.81 patch, I recieved the same Error message. It wiped the whole guitar and only left me with just one acoustic model regardless of which model I select on the guitar. I went back to Line 6 monkey and rolled back to 1.71, which again didn't work (guitar still wiped of all models) repeated the process again and have finally managed to get the guitar back to version 1.71. I am using Windows XP and the USB interface and cables that came with my JTV 59.

Real pain.

by ghengiskhan on 2012-04-29 03:44:25

hi

iam having same prob with jtv 69 same error problems tried both rollback and new install but just keeps failing GRRRR.Have the cables from a variax 500 and tried those as well with same results can anyone offer a fix for this only had the guitar 2 days and finding this really frustrating now all the modelks are wiped.

by ghengiskhan on 2012-04-29 14:16:08

Hi can confirm all above posts the only solution is to try and try and try again ,did not change any setup and after around thirty attempts guitar finally

updated phew !!!!!

by TSMilliner1 on 2012-06-13 10:47:25

I am so glad I found this post.

I am having the same issue. Being a new owner of a JTV-69, I did not equate the issues I am having (no modeling or tunings) to the failed firmware update, since the monkey shows the correct version even after the failed update. I will go and try again tonight when I get home and hopefully have some success. I have reset the guitar several times with no change, but it now makes sense if the models were all erased that a reset wouldn't help.

For info, I have tried updating directly through the hub, and also going through my HD500 into the computer using a brand new variax cable that came with the JTV-69. 3 times it showed up as failed, but then displayed that I was at 1.81, so I assumed that it was successful and that the message about it failing was an anomoly.

I liked it a lot for the 30 minutes it worked. I hope I can get the firmware to work and spend more time playing and less time tinkering and diagnosing..

by pugdealer on 2012-06-14 08:13:47

I recently updated to firmware 1.82!

Guitars sound a little better compared to 1.81, though I still don't find them better for my live gigs compared to 1.71. Gotta try to work it out fiddling with the EQ's and so on...

I have a problem with the 1.81 though...maybe it was just an isolated case (I have a JTV-59), but most tunnings on the knob are now wrong, and when I try to create a new tunning, it goes crazy. Lets say I go to drop D...instead of having DADGBE, I get EGDGBE, and if I try to correct it by holding the model knob and then getting it to DADGBE using the 12th fret as the "0" fret like i've done tons of times before, all strings get super grazy tunnings!!!

I'm re-installing the firmware tomorrow and hope this will cure the tunnings problem, so I can then work on new patches for the acoustics...If this doesn't resolve it, I'm sticking to 1.71 FOREVER!!!!

EDIT: Just connected the JTV to my HD500 today so I could reflash it, and guess what...tunnings are working normaly again, with all the models and patches...WTF!?!?!?

Not feelling too comfortable on the 1.81 reliability/stability...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.