These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD500 into Roland KC series! Keyboard Amps
by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-04 21:18:13

Hello guys

I need help and advises please

I want to know if someone if using Keyboard Amps for stage monitors or mic to the PA! I want some ideas how great will sound and how do you guys connect it to it and make the patches Stereo o Mono?

Basically just tell me your experience

Thanks

Re: Pod HD500 into Roland KC series! Keyboard Amps
by jimsreynolds on 2012-04-04 23:06:13

Quite a few people have had good results with the KC series. 

Check the responses here --> http://line6.com/support/search.jspa?resultTypes=all&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=false&q=roland+kc&containerType=14&container=2221&containerName=POD+HD&username=&rankBy=relevance&newq=roland+kc*

">http://line6.com/support/search.jspa?resultTypes=all&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=false&q=roland+kc&containerType=14&container=2221&containerName=POD+HD&username=&rankBy=relevance&newq=roland+kc*">http://line6.com/support/search.jspa?resultTypes=all&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=false&q=roland+kc&containerType=14&container=2221&containerName=POD+HD&username=&rankBy=relevance&newq=roland+kc*

by cenkosy on 2012-04-04 23:17:12

Hi,

i'm using the HD500 with a Behringer K3000FX Keyboard Amp, mono. Sounds great. Of course you should use the "full" amps with amp and mic simulation because keyboard-amps act like a small full-range PA. Changeing from high-gain to acoustic sounds (with a JTV) is fun and works really good for me.

Greets

cenkosy

by jasonbogen on 2012-04-04 23:55:56

+1.  I have also used the K3000FX and have a KC-550.  I have used them with my Variax (300 and JTV) going between electric and acoustic and it is really nice.  I also used to run my bass through it when I was using the X3 Live.  I am looking forward to trying out the new bass amp on the HD500 with it now.  Since it has a horn and woofer it doesn't make sense to mic it.  I have gone direct out of the back of the amp to the PA running XLR from the HD500 to the amp and have also run the 1/4 out to the AMP and run direct from the HD500 to the PA.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-05 04:06:37

Hey Jason but which one sound better? k3000fx or kc550? how was the sound after changing amps? could KC amps sound much better than a power amp like using a marshall combo amp?

by jasonbogen on 2012-04-05 06:37:08

I haven't had the k3000fx since I got the HD500 and I had a Peavey KB4 between them.  The k3000fx sounded better than the KB4 and the KC550 sounded MUCH better than the KB4.  I now have a DT25 mini stack. 

The way I would describe using the KC550 is like the sound of an amp mic'd up going through a really nice PA.  It comes closer than any of the others to soundling like a guitar amp and works really well as a replacement for a guitar amp, but it doesn't have the same feel as a real tube guitar amp. 

I haven't yet tried the new bass amp with my DT25, but I was shocked at how good the acoustic models on my JTV sound through it.  It should even be better with the new preamp model on the HD500 and the new acoustic models on the JTV. 

Anyway, I would still highly recommend the KC550.  It sounds great for electric, acoustic and bass plus you can use it as your entire PA if you ever do an acoustic solo act, which I still use it for.  Only problem I had was the size and weight.  I just got sick of lugging it around.  That being said it is smaller and lighter than the KB4 and it has wheels unlike the k3000fx. 

Good luck.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-05 15:20:16

thank you man I'll go with the most convinience and Cheap Roland KC then! I might buy a KC-150 for $200 or should i get a KC300 for 30 dolars more?

by fledisma on 2012-04-05 18:55:49

I highly recommend KC300. I tried KC150 but was not satisfied with it, the sound seems to be a little harsh for my taste.  I also tried KC500, sounded great but too heavy and probably too much for my setup.  I then settled with KC300 and have been using it quite some time now.  I started with the Roland VG8/Roland Ready Guitar, switched to POD X3 and now PODHD500/JTV all using the same KC300 amp.  I play lead, acoustic and sometimes some bass parts when doing trio setup.  KC300 is great as stage monitor and it has line out that feeds main PAs.  Hope this helps!

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-05 21:12:12

I heard the old Kc models are bad! how long have you been using this Kc300? Could you explain a little bit more how is the sound from your podhd500? MAn this is a hard decision Now! I hope you answer soon

by catalano on 2012-04-06 13:54:11

You may also want to check out the M-Audio GSR-10.  Its a small powered monitor.  I just got one and am using it as a floor wedge for my HD500.  I go direct into the PA and then take an aux feed from my channel and run that to the wedge.  Its a nice sounding little box and even more enticing is that PSSL.com was/is blowing them out at $100.  I know and like the Roland stuff very much, but I figured this was a nice alternative.

Good Luck,
Chris

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-07 08:53:44

thank you man. In amazon.com they are for $99.99, but i already bought the roland Kc300 and hopefully is on the way... Thank you so much for the advise but i dont like the sound of my roland, i'll return it and i might considered buying one...

take care man

by fledisma on 2012-04-07 13:48:53

I've been using my KC300 for almost 10 years now playing live with no problems, 7 years with Roland VG88 and 3 years with POD X3.  It is sturdy and realiable.  My setup was mono signal coming out of guitar FX processor to KC300.  Most of presets were initialy tweaked using studio monitors and with little changes when auditioned to KC300.  I only had HD500 for two months and JTV69 for a month and still tweaking patches to sound good on the amp.  So far, HD500 is sounding great, clean sound really shines and distortions are very clear.  My setup is still mono signal coming out of HD into KC, tone controls on KC are set to flat.  Sometimes I have problems controlling the volume of KC's horn (the KC's treble control does not really do a good job with controlling the horn volume) and I stick a little fridge magnet in front of the horn to pad the volume (a little trick I found out in my VG88 days).  I see that you already ordered the KC300. In my opinion and personal experience, I think you're going to like it.  Make sure that you set the HD to Studio/Direct.  You may need to tweak factory presets to make them sound good on the amp.  Have fun!

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-07 14:02:08

YESSS!!! indeep i just place the order yesterday at GC, hopefully im going to like it... Did you try to do stereo patches? i wonder how it will sound cause th Roland provides Mono and Stereo input!!!!

thank you man

by fledisma on 2012-04-07 14:47:30

I tried stereo signal before but did not see the benefit of using it since the amp only has 1 speaker.  I think the only thing I gain with it is the overall volume seems to be louder compared to mono (I guess the stereo signals are summed up to mono insided the amp).  Also, HD stereo effects such as delay panning and chorus are not properly recreated in KC due to single speaker configuration.  I have not tried dual amp patches and this would be good for stereo signal but again you lose the stereo imaging.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-07 14:59:55

well thank you so much to clear my mind... this is an ignorant question DO you plug just one cable or the two on the Roland kc?

by fledisma on 2012-04-07 15:42:35

You can either use 1 cable (mono patches) or 2 cables (stereo patches, dual amps) connected to KC from HD.  Try either one and see which sounds good.  Just remember what I mentioned in my previous reply.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-07 20:36:32

Thanks man When i get it I'll try that and do some some test. Then i will post it to share it!!!!

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-11 12:01:07

HELLO GUYS IS ME

My amp jut came home and im so MAD

THe amp is norking at all. When i push the switch on make a noise like something is running but the light doesnt turn on... Any idea what could it be? i just want to know

cause anyway im going to return it!!! Im so mad man

by fledisma on 2012-04-11 17:12:35

I'm sorry to hear that.  I never had problem with mine.  The LED light should turn to red when you turn on the square power button next to it.  If it does not turn on, there might be problem with its power supply unit.  Turn it off, unplug all the cables from the back of the amp and turn down all the volume knobs of the 4 channels, the line out knob and master volume knob to 0 (all the way to the left, counter clockwise).  Then, turn the amp on, what happens?  Also, check the amp AC rating on the back, is it for 110 or 220 volts?  Make sure your plugging it to right AC outlet.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-11 21:01:22

I JUST TRIED IT It doesnt work at all same thing happen. Light dont turn on and turn down all the volumes knobs... AC rating is 117 and say 80watt. i tried different outlets and nothing... It just made a little hum noise when is on but the light is off and everthing down no cables connect it but it make a noise....

by fledisma on 2012-04-12 04:26:56

You seem to have a defective unit.  You should return it and get a new one or get your money back.  Is it a used?  Maybe consider a newer model, KC350, or a different amp that works for you.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-12 12:43:20

hello

yes the item is used that why is not working and i cant buy the kc350 cause is out of my budget maybe i'll try the KC150 or if not I'll try the Electro harmonix magnum 44 or caliber 22 and im going to buy a CAB

i dont know today im going to guitar center to return it and see what happen

by jesuscares on 2012-04-13 00:29:48

In the KC series the bigger ones are pretty good for PODs but the smaller ones have trouble as the tweeter cant handle the bass.

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-13 03:56:09

so what model do you recommend? how so? the tweeter blow out all the time?

by samuelito2011 on 2012-04-23 12:52:11

Guys im so happy i got my roland Kc 300 and yes there is a huge difference..... in my tones all of them in headphones sound good but into a keyboard amp some are good and some are really bad like if it need EQs and that might help... but anway thank you guys for everything im so happy about it and this one is much better than before.. i got it from $150 at guitar center used.... Believe me is a big deal and a big blessing im cant wait to try it at the rehearsal with the band... or live....

thank you so much for everything....

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.