These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Seeking Advice Setting Guitar Volume to get Best Tones with POD in Live Performances
by schweizt on 2012-04-05 22:31:44

I'm looking for advice from anyone who plays live a lot and needs to switch tones and volume levels on the fly. I play live at least once per week.

I'm running the POD direct into the system off a direct box- I am not using any of my guitar amps on stage. Stage noise is way down.

I am listening off the monitor system. Works great.

Important to note: I have a floorboard to change things on the fly, which I could not live without.

I originally set all tones on the POD with my strat volume set to 10. (OK, you may think I'm nuts.) This actually worked very well.

The strat volume knob was then effective controlling the tone - back off to 7 or 8 for a different tone.

I used the floorboard to access different tones and different volume settings for tones. (For example, the lead channel had more gain and/or volume. Or the gain could be punched in.)

Sometimes, however, I lost too much volume when using the volume knob to get the tone I wanted.

So, I recently reset all the tones with the strat volume backed off to 7 (treating 7 as "home" instead of 10), thinking that would give me even more tone control and some optional gain right on the strat.

It defintely affects the tone and volume. My gut feel is the sound is not as good, though. I think there is too much variation now since tone and volume are so linked together.

I've tried tweaking the "7" setting so the floorboard could still do a lot of the tone and volume work, but then I'm really back to doing what I was doing before when I was set at 10.

I'm trying to ask a serious question here. I realize "personal preference" could be everyone's answer, but I'm seeking **real** experience with this issue to see if experience lines up with what I'm getting.

Anyone find that just letting the floorboard do all the work *is* actually better?

Is anyone using my first setup (setting the guitar at 10)?  (No "11" jokes, please.)

Has anyone found using the POD + floorbaord to do most of the tonal changes and volume changes works best?

Thanks.

Re: Seeking Advice Setting Guitar Volume to get Best Tones with POD in Live Performances
by schweizt on 2012-04-10 11:51:48

To answer my own question, two possible alternatives.

1. Set the strat at 10 and adjust the volume pedal setting on the POD so "up" is 80-90% and "down" is 100%. Play with pedal in "up" position except when I need more volume.
  2. Set the strat at 10 and set all strat tone knobs at 10. Then adjust the strat's tone knob as needed if it sounds too bright through a particular sound system. This seems to work on the neck pickup fairly well.

Re: Seeking Advice Setting Guitar Volume to get Best Tones with POD in Live Performances
by schweizt on 2012-05-01 11:01:33

Again answering my own question, but hoping the advice is helpful.

Solution #2 above is working very well.

In other words, I set the strat volume at 10 and set all strat tone knobs at 10.

Then I used the Line 6 Edit software to set and store the POD 2.0 tones.

Playing live, I adjust the strat's neck tone knob as needed if it sounds too bright through a particular sound system.

This seems to work on the neck pickup fairly well.

Adding to this answer/solution.

(You are using the same stored tones as above.)

To achieve some tonal variation options live and on the fly, roll off the bridge tone knob just a little. It won't take much.

Then you can use the middle pickup position in addition to the neck pickup with the same stored tones.

This will give you tonal variation, but not something so extreme it sounds overly harsh.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.