These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Some more thoughts on the 1.81 Firmware update...
by davidb7170 on 2012-04-08 15:22:48

My update went through without a hitch -- whew... I've been reading about the problems of some folks here. Most were having problems when updating with the USB interface supplied with the guitar, and were running into issues there, including not having a 1/4" plug in the 1/4" jack or not having a fully charged battery Another common problem was with those connecting their POD HD500 via MIDI cables rather than USB. I updated mine via the VDI cable plugged into my POD X3L via USB.

I'm still not sure about the acoustic revisions, sound wise. Like others, I noted how there seems to be more room ambiance in the new acoustic patches. My opinion is that the room ambience should be in the control domain of the effects pedal. When you try to work with that, the pedal and the guitar tend to fight or cancel each other -- hard to explain.

I also ran into the issue about not being able to tweak volume or set alternate tunings in custom banks in Workbench. This is not a big deal for HD 500 users, as you can save alternate tunings on the guitar and now call them up with patch changes -- about time, but not for us users with the X3L ot XTL generations of pedals. Our only hope is that the software folks at L6 fix that with a JTV firmware revision or patch -- SOON, please. We still need to create a custom tuning to call up with a patch, and even that's somewhat of a hassle -- you have to set the patch, save it, then manually assign the model via the patch source settings at the pedal itself. It would be nice if the software people would make that work properly for XTL's or X3L's via a Workbench or pedal firmware update...  Any plans in those directions? (Doubtful, I know as they are now "legacy" devices -- but still a lot out there...)

The acoustic guitar model's room ambiance is fine for recording, but not so much for live playing. One thing I'd like to see in an acoustic model on the JTV is an Ovation piezo model. I have an Ovation that used to use out on gigs before I got the JTV, and it has a sweet sound electrified. I know, I know this is heresy to acoustic purists, I still like that sound (among many others). I stopped taking the Ovation as I saw the JTV replacing it -- it's ok, but not OK. Part of it is I think they were striving for that mic'd up sound of a vintage wood guitar -- I'd say mostly for recording, but just passable for live work. Part of the problem I have is taming either the boominess (better now with the new firmware), and thiness of some. this makes it hard to make a good acoustic sound that cuts through in a live, mostly electric band setting. I've gotta say, I never really had that problem with my Ovation. The parts are all there -- the guitar, piezo's -- come one, get at it. Just wishful thinking...

Anybody's thoughts on this?

Dave

Re: Some more thoughts on the 1.81 Firmware update...
by litesnsirens on 2012-04-09 13:23:58

To me the sound people are perceiving as room sound is the sound of the box of the guitar.  I think now that the boom of the old models is gone you can hear the sound of the box and the soundhole better, kind of the point of acoustic guitars, and as you mention that means it will sound nothing like an Ovation. I owned an Ovation for awhile but I got rid of it after trying to record acoustic guitar with it and having it sound nothing like an acoustic guitar.  It does have it's own sound which some people like.  I used the new models at my gig last Friday night and it was much improved for live use. 

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-09 16:00:35

I understand you point of view perfectly as an Ovation acoustic guitar user.  But since I started in with the original Variax guitars with the electric model 700 I never brought my Ovations to another gig as I could get any acoustic sound I wanted with those guitars, and now the much improved JTV acoustic models.  Before update 1.80., I never had much problem dialing in a gorgeous tone with nothing more than one EQ used as a High pass filter and another for tweaking the mids thru highs of the guitar models.  I've read hundreds of posts talking about what players don't like about the various Variax modeled guitars.  I guess I've been a very lucky (or more experienced working with tone and all the controls Line 6 has always offered starting with my Vetta combo) person that I've not had most of the problems that I could not control or adjust as others seem to have had.

I also agree with the previous post that the sound many are reporting as "ambience" is not ambience, but what this previous poster wrote...the acoustic "box" or body of the guitar modeled.  I can only presume that line 6 was trying their best to capture the full tonal spectrum that an acoustic guitar made as the ones Line 6 chose to model are made and how they reproduce the string vibrations internally as well as what the combination of initial string sound, plus the subsequent harmonics and overtones, plus the size of the wooden body equal out to be.  It might sound like playing an acoustic guitar recorded in a bathroom, but I'm not certain that is what was done or intended.  So enough of the audio physics lesson.

I play in a rock band, and I've been using Line 6 guitars and their acoustic models since I got my original Line 6 guitar back in 2006.  I've never had any problem cutting through the rest of the band with keys and/or other electric guitars and acoustic drums playing from day one.  I've not made "crazy" EQ settings to compensate or played at twice the volume, I've just gotten excellent acoustic sounds and let them "speak" for themselves in the band environment.  I wish I could go to each Line 6 owners home and set up guitar patches that will work perfectly in their specific live performances, but this is not possible.  I will suggest the following...

1. If you have a POD HD unit, try using a FULL amp model and use the CABINET controls AFTER EQing to your taste.
  2. I highly recommend using the PhD Motorway amp with it's default 212 cabinet.
  3. Then using the Cabinet controls dial the RESONANCE up to 100, the THUMP to 100 and the decay down to about 30 to start.
  4. If this seems to get the response, or much closer to the response you are looking for, then go back and tweak the EQ settings to adjust back to your tonal preferences.
  5. I would suggest as just a guideline the following basic EQ settings.  Using the Parametric EQ on the POD HD unit, dial the frequencies or "Q" to the following four frequencies before boosting or cutting.  85hz, 150hz, 1.5Khz, 3Khz.
  6. Then boost 3db or 4db + for 85hz, cut 3db or 4db 150hz, boost 5db or 6db 1.5Khz, and boost 2db or 3db 3Khz.
  7. This "should" bring you in to a good range before final tweaking completely to your taste by putting a fair amount of attack to your acoustic models, dialing out the extra lower harmonics produced by both the guitar model and the cranked up cabinet settings, and the last to give you model enough brightness that you can adjust as needed while performing using the tone knob as the mic position control it is designed to be.

I've never previously written out any of my basic formulas, but I think it time to share some of my findings with the Line 6 community.  Hopefully my settings will help in two main ways...1) to let you hear what you can get from the gear you have and the updates Line 6 has made to produce the tone at reasonable volume levels to be very usable.  2) To get people pointed to the right directions with this new gear and the new capabilities.  And if JTV owners do not have any POD HD gear, all this can be done with an EQ of good sonic quality and proper EQ settings on an amp or mixing console.

All the best,

Neal

PS - if you have any results to share after trying my suggestions good or bad, please post them.  I can't get better at helping others if I don't know what I suggest is being tried and what the results for others turn out to be.

by donfrantz on 2012-04-09 17:02:22

Thanks for the helpful post Neal!

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-09 18:13:32

Hey Neal, you're playing through a DTXX amp right?  I will try out your acoustic settings for fun but I play through a FRFR system which I think is an entirely different ballgame as far as acoustics go.  I recently started a thread with my settings.  I use the new Flip Top amp with no cabinet and I don't need to use any EQ'ing at all.  I do use the Tube Compressor but mostly of a volume boost and only to kick in with gentle compression if you're really hammering it.  I find it more intuitive you use bass, middle, treble and presence to tweak the sound.  Again that's for FRFR.  Thanks for sharing your settings.

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-09 18:23:18

I sincerely hope my post does help you Don and perhaps anyone else who might happen to read this thread you started.

I've had many thing written about me lately - some were none too flattering because I don't mince words and call things as I see them.  Perhaps I deserved them, perhaps not. 

But when all the dust settles, it bugs me reading about people using any piece of gear they are unhappy with it. And in this case, I know the various pieces of Line 6 gear you were writing about.  The results I've been able to achieve and certainly very subjective.  I also know what works for me, might not work for someone else.

I just hope my post helps as I've already stated, and perhaps bring up some ideas -with users like yourself- how to get the best from your Line 6 gear.  Perhaps procedures or methods not thought of by others who haven't had as much time as I to spend working with my gear to get it to work for me in my performance and recording situations.  Much of my income revolves around this gear and me getting it all to work as announced or promised.  Occasionally, my out-of-the-box thinking or unorthodox approach to many situations comes in handy when unexpected results occur.

Take care,

Neal

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-09 19:29:08

I am probably going to seem a bit silly by asking this as I've seen it many times before, but what does FRFR mean?  Once you give me the answer and stop laughing because I didn't know what it meant, I can then perhaps understand your point of view better.  Although I do think that the Flip Top is a terrific amp model addition to the POD HD family.

To at least answer part of your first question to me - Yes I do use a pair of DT50 1x12 combos only because when I got these the DT25 (which I had made many mentions to my personal contact @ Line 6 regarding the DT50 amps being too loud for practical use on most small to average size stages and venues.)  But I've also found a way to get the output tubes humming like they should as a very old school all tube Marshall amp user I was before I discovered the Line 6 Vetta combo back in 2003.  If you had the same set up - I could send you patches of each piece of the "Dream Rig' puzzle, so you could hear and see for yourself how I accomplish what I accomplish with the gear I have.

Also - I do not always use both DT50s, I also always use my Vetta in conjunction with one or more of the DT50 amps, but 100% all the time if I can't bring more than one amp to a gig for stage size limitations.  It's fun all the time when people see all the gear I pile up on my portion of the stage and think I'm going to be insanely loud, yet I'm usually getting over-powered (because I won't turn up and start a guitar volume war on stage) by other guitarist or bass players.  Sometimes even acoustic drummers are louder than my sound with all three amps turned on.  And I never use the Master volume knob on the DT50s pulled out.  I personally think it detracts greatly from the tone of the amp.

Please wirite back and we can proceed from there - thanks,

Neal

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-09 19:42:38

FRFR is full range flat response.  Maybe a bit of a misnomer at times since it's probably a goal to have flat response on a lot of speaker systems but probably not always achieved.  At any rate more of a PA type speaker than a guitar cab.  Which is probably better for acoustic guitar.  I don't have the full dream rig only the HD500 and JTV69.  I doubt I will go back to real amps any time soon I got rid of my Boogie Mark V last June in favour of a second Bose L1.  HD500 into the Bose is my dream rig, no need for volume wars it dispersed sound so evenly and at over 7 feet tall the sound isn't shooting past my knees. 

Hence the reason that I don't use a cab sim on my acoustic tones.  I can go from a nice amp tone to acoustic straight to PA tone and the mix to me is always consistently coming from the same place.  I will say that DT25 makes me want to get one just cuz... but it would be pretty hard to justify.  I have messed with the DT50 and DT25 in the stores without an HD500 in front and I think they are killer amps at half the price of a Mark V they cover a ton of tonal ground.  I kind of wish I had one just to try out your patches.  You're one of the guys I look to on here for sound Line 6 guidance.

by davidb7170 on 2012-04-09 20:47:19

I don't yet have an HD500, I still have my X3L, and I go through an Eminence Tonker 12" guitar speaker in a small floor monitor wedge, and a class D Crate Power Block 150 Watt amp. I bypass the preamp section and connect in through the fx loop return at line level. The thing gives a very good electric gutiar vibe, but I have struggled with the acoustic models of the Variax. Like I said -- they're ok, not OK...

Thanks Neal -- I'll try your suggestions with the EQ settings in my X3L. Of course, I don't have the cabinet DEP settings, though on the X3L. I am on the cusp of picking up an HD500 (again). I tried one last fall, but it was flakey -- kept going into a non-responsive mode with a blank screen when I would try to go into the global settings. I couldn't get past that, so I took it back to Guitar Center and passed on it.

I was very disappointed that the XLR and 1/4" outputs could not be set to be indepently controlled like the X3L. I send a signal to the soundman through the XLR, and use the 1/4" out for the stage mix. I can vary my stage volume with the master volume on the pedal without screwing up his mix. Going in through the FX return also bypasses the volume control on the amp, so that's not an option. I was hoping an HD500 firmware update would address this, but so far hasn't. There have been many requests for it, but no response so far. When the HD500 I tried was working, I pretty much liked what I heard, but needed to get at the global settings and couldn't. I was so frustrated at that point, I was in no mood to try another unit.

I also tried an FRFR Carvin PM12A self powered speaker around last Thanksgiving, but sent it back, as it did better with the acoustic models, but bit it as far as I was concerned for the electrics. The "600" watt amp should have blown me off the stage, but couldn't get it up to stage volume as a floor monitor to the level of the PB150 without it compressing the crap out of the signal -- took all of the IR out of the electric models and sounded "brittle" to me....

I'm trying to keep my rig light,as the soundman does the FOH. I have a silverface Twin Reverb in a flight case that weighs in at about 150 lbs with the JBL E-120's I had it fitted with in the 80's, but tired of lugging that heavy stuff around when a small rig and a soundman can get it out there better anyway. I'm at the point of going with the HD500 in the near future. Gonna give it another go, soon....

Dave

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-09 22:03:42

litesnsirens wrote:

FRFR is full range flat response.  Maybe a bit of a misnomer at times since it's probably a goal to have flat response on a lot of speaker systems but probably not always achieved.  At any rate more of a PA type speaker than a guitar cab.  Which is probably better for acoustic guitar.  I don't have the full dream rig only the HD500 and JTV69.  I doubt I will go back to real amps any time soon I got rid of my Boogie Mark V last June in favour of a second Bose L1.  HD500 into the Bose is my dream rig, no need for volume wars it dispersed sound so evenly and at over 7 feet tall the sound isn't shooting past my knees. 

Hence the reason that I don't use a cab sim on my acoustic tones.  I can go from a nice amp tone to acoustic straight to PA tone and the mix to me is always consistently coming from the same place.  I will say that DT25 makes me want to get one just cuz... but it would be pretty hard to justify.  I have messed with the DT50 and DT25 in the stores without an HD500 in front and I think they are killer amps at half the price of a Mark V they cover a ton of tonal ground.  I kind of wish I had one just to try out your patches.  You're one of the guys I look to on here for sound Line 6 guidance.

Wow! - Thank you so much for that very kind compliment.  I'm humbled and very flattered.  Sounds corny, I'll bet, but I'm very sincere and passionate about music and all the physical compents that go into the creation of it.  Sometimes my passions get the better of me in a negative way, but I'm only human and hope you've not seen too many angry bits from me ranting about one thing or another.  I just want to help get the most out of Line 6 gear I'm familiar with and use everyday on this thread is my reason for being here.

Getting back on track with the topic.  I'm slightly familiar with your Bose L1 system and understand the principles behind it's conception and functionality.  However, I honestly do suggest that you try my PhD Motorway Full amp 212 default Cabinet version with the settings I suggested for acoustic guitar models or any other clean or distorted models that require more emphasis without being louder.  More articulation with being too harsh on the ears.

I do not know more than the specs I've read and the demos I've watched and listened to to help with your Bose L1, but the physics of soundwaves are the same no matter what you use and the principles will always apply.  Now getting them to work for you instead of against you- that is the tricky part.  Do you use a subwoofer with your personal L1, or not?  If not, perhaps if trying my approach, use my settings for the low mid and low Q about 1db or 2db less and the same amount  for the hi mid and highs except less by the same db amount.  I don't know enough of the overall frequency response of your system and I'm guessing it is more "flat" than other typical enclosures which would require less tweaking on both sides of my equation.

Please let me know if you try my formula and how your Bose L1 system responds.  I'd love to read your findings and how a nearly 100% flat time aligned system responds to these POD HD500 parameters. And also - what was the response depending on the room (lively/kinda dead/high ceiling/etc.) you used it in?

Thanks again for your kind words.  It was a treat for me to read them, and they are especially significant to me at this point in time.

Take care,

Neal

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-09 22:20:54

davidb7170 wrote:

I don't yet have an HD500, I still have my X3L, and I go through an Eminence Tonker 12" guitar speaker in a small floor monitor wedge, and a class D Crate Power Block 150 Watt amp. I bypass the preamp section and connect in through the fx loop return at line level. The thing gives a very good electric gutiar vibe, but I have struggled with the acoustic models of the Variax. Like I said -- they're ok, not OK...

Thanks Neal -- I'll try your suggestions with the EQ settings in my X3L. Of course, I don't have the cabinet DEP settings, though on the X3L. I am on the cusp of picking up an HD500 (again). I tried one last fall, but it was flakey -- kept going into a non-responsive mode with a blank screen when I would try to go into the global settings. I couldn't get past that, so I took it back to Guitar Center and passed on it.

I was very disappointed that the XLR and 1/4" outputs could not be set to be indepently controlled like the X3L. I send a signal to the soundman through the XLR, and use the 1/4" out for the stage mix. I can vary my stage volume with the master volume on the pedal without screwing up his mix. Going in through the FX return also bypasses the volume control on the amp, so that's not an option. I was hoping an HD500 firmware update would address this, but so far hasn't. There have been many requests for it, but no response so far. When the HD500 I tried was working, I pretty much liked what I heard, but needed to get at the global settings and couldn't. I was so frustrated at that point, I was in no mood to try another unit.

I also tried an FRFR Carvin PM12A self powered speaker around last Thanksgiving, but sent it back, as it did better with the acoustic models, but bit it as far as I was concerned for the electrics. The "600" watt amp should have blown me off the stage, but couldn't get it up to stage volume as a floor monitor to the level of the PB150 without it compressing the crap out of the signal -- took all of the IR out of the electric models and sounded "brittle" to me....

I'm trying to keep my rig light,as the soundman does the FOH. I have a silverface Twin Reverb in a flight case that weighs in at about 150 lbs with the JBL E-120's I had it fitted with in the 80's, but tired of lugging that heavy stuff around when a small rig and a soundman can get it out there better anyway. I'm at the point of going with the HD500 in the near future. Gonna give it another go, soon....

Dave

Hi Dave - I've read your post and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your first HD500.  It was not anything you did or Line 6 did - probably just "one of those things" that happen with any electronic equipment.

I've got my personal preferences far beyond just Line 6 gear.  I'm too old not to.  LOL

I certainly do believe that with the correct gear - of any kind - you can get a terrific acoustic sound out of the 5 different acoustic guitars on the JTV plus the other non-electric models like Banjo, Resonator, Dobro, etc.

I seem to know the specs of the new POD HD500 upgrade, with the cab DEP controls.  I personally think Line 6 tech people really out did themselves with these features as well as amp bias controls, hum, etc. I've created entire banks of patches just using the same two amps in tandem with different amp control settings as well as cabinet control settings.  I honestly find the cab control setting very exciting and fantastically functional in every aspect.  I could probably give a class just one how those controls combined with the newly revised microphone models (which seem to get overlooked in most postings) can alter any amp sound to suit any style of music.

Not too take up a ton of time going over what you have now aside from your X3L which I have the pro model of and love it as much as my other Line 6 gear almost as much as I still love my Vetta.  Could you do me a favor?  Please PM me with exactly what you are working with right now, and besides the POD HD500 - what you might be working with from the stage point of view?  Just those two aspects of your live performances and the gear beyond your preamp will help me help you get the most from your JTV.  My suggestions will probably seem quite strange, but all ya have to do is give them a try.  If you stage set up is still going to be your X3L into the FX return of your amp as you stated, let me know if you have a RadioShack or any well-stocked music store and about $30-$40 you can afford to spend right away.  I can solve your stage volume - PA volume situation immediately if you have my two requirements.  I also promise nothing I suggest will blow up your gear as long as you don't play on 11.  LOL

And one thing I should mention to you while still here - the POD HD line DOES have independent control over the XLR outs and the 1/4" stage outs.  Not sure about anyone else's gear, but my POD HD500 & POD HD PRO both have always worked that way.  The Master volume knob works only on the 1/4" and headphones outs, and has no effect on the XLR outputs.

Take care,

Neal

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-10 10:33:19

Hey Neal, I'm definitely going to try out your settings just out of curiousity.  I have the Bose L1 Model II which is designed to be used with at least one of the B1 bass modules.  The earlier L1's were designed a little differently and the B1 was optional.  I posted a thread about this before but it seems to me that with the JTV being part of the dream rig they should have put some tweeters in the DT25/DT50 that could be enabled disabled with a switch (which could also be controlled via L6 Link).  The idea being that you could get the amp to be full range for acoustic guitar sounds (and even vocals now that I think of it) and disable the tweeters for regular guitar amp sounds. Rivera makes a hybrid electric/acoustic guitar amp with this type of feature, the Sedona model.  It just makes sense to me, I mean they have the acoustic sounds built into the JTV's and mic inputs in the HD500.

by Line6Hugo on 2012-04-10 14:37:14

Hello,

We appreciate the feedback on the new models and how they sound.  I'd recommend using the following product feedback link to tell how you feel about them:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

There">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

Thereis a bug in the update where you currently cannot save alternate tunings to the acoustics at this time. Work around is to use the Tunings available on the Alt Tuning knob of the JTV guitars.  We are currently working on addressing this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-10 14:47:24

Line6Hugo wrote:

Hello,

We appreciate the feedback on the new models and how they sound.  I'd recommend using the following product feedback link to tell how you feel about them:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

Thereis a bug in the update where you currently cannot save alternate tunings to the acoustics at this time. Work around is to use the Tunings available on the Alt Tuning knob of the JTV guitars.  We are currently working on addressing this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

Hi Hugo - I can add my thoughts about the new features, etc. in the feedback section you've posted but their is a limit on how many characters are in the message box.  Nothing is that simple unless I'm extremely general with my remarks.  Are generalities what would be best in that product feedback section or should I post several feedback forms each covering one aspect of the whole picture?

Just curious, am I doing anything wrong or inappropriate here helping others with their personal problems and experiences with any of the Dream Rig gear?

Thanks,

Neal

by brue58ski on 2012-04-10 16:24:01

Can you tell us whether Gear Box is going to be updated to work with or at least better with the JTV or are you guys done upgrading the Gear Box software?  I use Gear Box so much to pogram my X3 Live that it cripples me a bit the way Gear Box works now with the JTV.

by davidb7170 on 2012-04-10 21:04:28

Neal --

As I am an electrical engineer, the specs are the first thing I research. In's outs, amp models, FX, speaker models, mic models, all the goodies under the hood. Not a stranger to a soldering iron, build my PC's etc., etc..

I've been gigging out since I was 16 years old, in the early 70's. I'm a weekender, so my main income is not from playing -- it just finances my music gear without guilt... ;o)

I found your comment about the separate control of the the 1/4" outputs interesting, and contrary to the comments of others in the forums here. I never got to test it out as I was fairly frustrated with the defective unit I had, and just took it back... Odd that this has come up numerous times in the forums both here and in the HD POD support area.... If it's true that the main volume only controls the 1/4" outs and not the XLR, it removes most of my initial objections to the HD500. If you would, please verify that that is how the unit behaves. I'm sure some of the comments in this area were specifically that the main volume cotrolled the 1/4", XLR, and SPDIF all at once and could not be assigned differently... Cool if that's not the case after all.

In the mean time, I've got to get my JTV acoustic models & X3L models for them in shape and practice some new music for the band practice before this weekend's gig. I will try your EQ suggestions, but can't get too deep into it, as I'll be pressed for time. The few songs I use the acoustic models for at this point mean that I've just got to get it passable for now with my X3L. Have to retool my existing patches for the acoustics, as they simply don't sound good the way I have them for the JTV before the update.

I know Ovations aren't everybody's cup of meat, but I do find their sound pleasing in the right setting. I'm not wanting to can the existing acoustic models, but would hope that some expansion of available sounds is not an impossibility for the Variax models. I know they've focused on what are considered to be classic models of the different guitars, but I also know that is a very subjective thing. "Classic" or "Vintage" means different things to different people... I am not a purist in any way concerning music or my gear.

I use a few setup's in my patches -- Clean like a Twin, Edgy -- like a Bassman on the edge of breakup, classic rock distortion, and Marshall - like heavier distortion, with some variations of FX combinations. The JTV with a Drop D and Drop Db, a full step down to D. Just basic stuff, really. Most of my time gigging, I'm on the Edgy amp model with the JTV on mags...

Thanks,

Dave

Message was edited by: David Barnes - corrected a typo

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-11 01:32:55

davidb7170 wrote:

Neal --

As I am an electrical engineer, the specs are the first thing I research. In's outs, amp models, FX, speaker models, mic models, all the goodies under the hood. Not a stranger to a soldering iron, build my PC's etc., etc..

I've been gigging out since I was 16 years old, in the early 70's. I'm a weekender, so my main income is not from playing -- it just finances my music gear without guilt... ;o)

I found your comment about the separate control of the the 1/4" outputs interesting, and contrary to the comments of others in the forums here. I never got to test it out as I was fairly frustrated with the defective unit I had, and just took it back... Odd that this has come up numerous times in the forums both here and in the HD POD support area.... If it's true that the main volume only controls the 1/4" outs and not the XLR, it removes most of my initial objections to the HD500. If you would, please verify that that is how the unit behaves. I'm sure some of the comments in this area were specifically that the main volume cotrolled the 1/4", XLR, and SPDIF all at once and could not be assigned differently... Cool if that's not the case after all.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave - I've read this far thru your post and I can affirm that the Master volume I've been using on my POD HD500 and POD HD PRO does not affect the volume sent to the XLR outputs, nor to the L6 Link outputs.  Just the 1/4" outs and headphone output.  This is how my unit is working, and I've done nothing other than the updates publicly posted when they were available.

I wish I knew why my situation is different than others - as I've read those posts as well - but I can only write about my personal experiences.  Perhaps if this continues as an issue for some, I'll just make a video showing my connections and turning the Master volume knob and what happens with each connection.

I promise to read the rest of you post ASAP and reply if needed.

Take care,

Neal

by jyflorida on 2012-04-11 05:25:42

"If you had the same set up - I could send you patches of each piece of the "Dream Rig' puzzle, so you could hear and see for yourself how I accomplish what I accomplish with the gear I have."

Hi Neal,

I'm very interested in your "puzzle" if you don't mind, being that I've got the Dream Rig setup.

Thanks very much,

Jim

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-11 15:47:05

litesnsirens wrote:

...but it seems to me that with the JTV being part of the dream rig they should have put some tweeters in the DT25/DT50 that could be enabled disabled with a switch (which could also be controlled via L6 Link).  The idea being that you could get the amp to be full range for acoustic guitar sounds (and even vocals now that I think of it) and disable the tweeters for regular guitar amp sounds. Rivera makes a hybrid electric/acoustic guitar amp with this type of feature, the Sedona model.  It just makes sense to me, I mean they have the acoustic sounds built into the JTV's and mic inputs in the HD500.

I agree 100%.  I have a different solution to this sonic "mishap" you are discussing, but my "crazy rig" is not for the faint of heart.  LOL 

I play bass as well as guitar and keys at the same time in most of my band projects.  Not enough money for live bands these days to pay for more than three or at most four piece groups.  All without paying for a soundman or stage lighting - we get to do that ourselves as well.  PA is my job aside from performing, the lights are the other guys job.

I get around this Acoustic situation by sending my acoustic signals to my bass rig which does have an attentuator controlled set of tweeters.  I get the true full range sound and sparkle of the acoustic guitar patches as well as any other patches I want that additional extended high end for.  not on any "guidbook" for the guitar players out there, but I'm old and remember how we all had be to very creative when working with the gear we had back then.  Nothing nearly as sophisticated and I had to use real acoustic guitars mounted on walk-behind stands.  Too much stage space, plus all the prblems of getting enough volume without feedback.  Tricky stuff, but we all figured out our own way of dealing with these situations.  Now the Line 6 gear makes all that go away and much simpler in the long run.

Take care,

Neal

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-11 16:03:17

Ya I'm old too, used to dream of the things we have today, thinking "wouldn't it be amazing if"... and now it's all here.  Back in the day though there were a lot more clubs set up for bands and they had enough stage space to set up a band.  Now it seems like in all the clubs the band is an afterthought, "oh we'll just fit them over there".  And yes we are down to doing everything ourselves as well.  Unless we score a corporate gig at which point we are so used to doing it ourselves that we just do it anyway.  My son will do lights for us if needed otherwise I either don't bring them or just set them up and put them on auto.  It would be nice to mix the new technology with the old days for playing. 

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-11 16:09:11

Can I get an Amen! 

We've from "What if..." to "If only..."

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-11 16:38:14

jyflorida wrote:

"If you had the same set up - I could send you patches of each piece of the "Dream Rig' puzzle, so you could hear and see for yourself how I accomplish what I accomplish with the gear I have."

Hi Neal,

I'm very interested in your "puzzle" if you don't mind, being that I've got the Dream Rig setup.

Thanks very much,

Jim

I sent you a PM

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.