These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

1.81 killed my '59
by bbqdevil on 2012-04-09 21:49:33

I'm currently in the process of flashing back to 1.71.

Updated Monkey to 1.53 before running my update, ran everything through the USB (I don't own an HD500), had the 1/4" cable plugged in, had the modeling knob turned on, the whole nine yards.  I flashed to 1.81 twice, the first time failed, the second time said successful BUT...none of the modeling worked. What did happen was I got a guitar that in modelling mode had about 20% of the volume of the magnetic pickups and the sound of, wait for it...the magnetic pickups.

Absolutely no change in tones when switching from model to model, no change in tuning when turning the tuning knob.

Considering I have practice tomorrow night for an upcoming CD release gig, and need access to 4 of the guitar models and 3 different tunings, I'm flashing back.

If you look back at what JTV owners have gone through just to get to this point, an update this spotty is pretty unacceptable.

Anyone else have a similar result? I've read that people had issues getting a working flash, but I've not seen this result yet.

Re: 1.81 killed my '59
by bbqdevil on 2012-04-09 22:10:47

Okay, flashed back to 1.71, everything worked as it should, so knowing that I had a fallback plan, I tried again to update the firmware.

Got this message:

Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 10.08.44 PM.png

This happened three times in a row.

Anyone have any clue as to how to get past this? There is nothing running on the system except Monkey, and there's nothing plugged into any MIDI port in a 4 block radius.

by johnnyayyy on 2012-04-10 12:44:43

What computer/OS are you using?

by bbqdevil on 2012-04-10 19:10:04

Mac OS X Lion.

by johnnyayyy on 2012-04-11 00:37:11

bbqdevil wrote:

Mac OS X Lion.

Can you try to update on a different computer? Usually I read about people having these troubles on a Mac, I had similar troubles with my Line 6 gear until I got myself a cheap second hand PC laptop and although I still do all of my recording on my Mac I currently handle all of my Line 6 updates on the PC and rarely experience problems anymore.

by steveforde61 on 2012-04-11 09:13:03

Hi just got my 59 today. Nice guitar, not yey convinced re reso / acoustic sounds. Re the firmware update I run a Mac and had the same box re time out.

After numerous restarts, pug in out etc. I discovered that the update had in fact taken place and the guitar had then swithched off, so it wasn't being detected on the system (see if you have a red LED on the USB inteface box). Check your guitar is actually in "modeling" mode and not passive.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2012-04-11 09:40:22

If using the USB interface, make sure the guitar's volume control is up to 100% so the guitar doesn't go to sleep

Nick

by AMRflyingdude on 2012-04-11 11:53:51

The same thing happened to me when i pushed the upgrade. All i heard was the sound of the piezo... No models.

To resolve this, try to update again, and pay attention (and read twice) the message that will appear during the process, at one point you will see a message asking you if you want to also restore the original models. Click YES. You are basically pushing themupdate but without any models. Make sure you tell the system that you want to reinstall the defuslt models also.

Hope this helps.

by johnnyayyy on 2012-04-11 16:09:03

AMRflyingdude wrote:

The same thing happened to me when i pushed the upgrade. All i heard was the sound of the piezo... No models.

To resolve this, try to update again, and pay attention (and read twice) the message that will appear during the process, at one point you will see a message asking you if you want to also restore the original models. Click YES. You are basically pushing themupdate but without any models. Make sure you tell the system that you want to reinstall the defuslt models also.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm... does anyone else think the option to restore the original models hints at the likelyhood of new models coming in the near future...? I don't remember ever seeing or hearing of this option before.

by Line6Hugo on 2012-04-12 14:39:34

Hello,

If you are still experiencing problems with the update, can you please tell me at what exact point during the update you get the MIDI Timeout message?

Also, during the update, I recommend selecting NO when it asks if you would like to save the presets on your guitar.

Also, please remove all other USB devices from the computer (except for a mouse and keyboard on a desktop) while troubleshooting this problem.  Completely remove ANY USB hubs, even if not in use, and test the interface on all of your computer's USB ports.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by rsto10 on 2012-04-12 19:54:21

This is exactly what happened to me. First time I tried updating, it failed.  Then I noticed my guitar volume was on "0" and it had "gone to sleep" in the process.  So, I re-flashed with the volume on 10 and it worked fine the second time.

by bbqdevil on 2012-04-14 02:07:33

Hey Hugo,

Sorry, been busy with work, will try the update one more time this weekend and let you know where it fails at in the process. Will also pull all non-essential USBs from the system.

As for all the other bits (volume on 100%, etc.)...yeah, did that, no joy.

I'll re-post on Sunday, I have band practice on Saturday so I need the guitar working fully for that, can take the time to flash and roll-back if necessary after.

by spikey on 2012-04-16 19:01:18

fyi I flashed both my Pod HD Pro and the JVT-69 using an iMac and had no trouble at all.

Rather than the Mac being the issue (since he was able to flash backwards), I would ask if there is a usb hub involved?

And if not that then remove and then reinstall monkey??

I dont believe for a second its a general mac issue....

by gfletcher7 on 2012-10-09 10:25:26

I just received my JTV-59 yesterday, tried to update the firmware and experienced the same result with one exception:  there is a noticeably loud digital clicking sound with no output from the models.  L6Monkey is now at 1.59, so, sounds like I need to back off to 1.53 and try the flash upgrade multiple times again?  And perhaps only go up to 1.71?  Please advise if you have input, and thank you.

by MerlinFL on 2012-10-09 14:02:08

Your guitar arrived with 1.71/1.72 installed.  You need to get the latest which is not 1.81, but 1.82 which should show up in Monkey when you connect the guitar.

I don't think it's anything with the latest version of Monkey, but with the 1.81 you tried updating to.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.