These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD Pro Volume Drop after firmware update from v 1.30 to v 2.02 - Need Support Ticket
by remi_delmas on 2012-04-10 00:37:55

Hello (this is a repost tagged as a question from another thread located here http://line6.com/support/thread/83258)

style="background-color: #eef4f9; font-size: 12px; color: #000000; font-family: Helvetica, 'TradeGothicW02-BoldCn20 675505', sans-serif;">I bought my POD HD pro back in december 2011, it came with FW v1.30 on it and was working fine.

I updated to 1.43 but experienced the volume drop issue so I went back to 1.30, and started waiting for firwmare v2.xx.

I updated to 2.02 and the problems are back. But this time I don't want to roll back to 1.30 and wait, I want this problem to be fixed.

The symptoms are as follows :

When it happens, the input level of the pod becomes abnormally low a few seconds after the unit boots.

It randomly occurs right after booting the pod hd pro, and I need to boot the unit 7-8 times  in a row on average for the problem to disappear and the volume to stay stable. Sometimes I'll boot the unit 20 times in a row and the problem still occurs, so I let it go and go do something else than playing/recording music and come back an hour later. Wich would be really problematic if I were a professional musician or using this unit in a real recording studio, but it is fine because I just happen to be a hobbyist who spent 1000€ to buy this malfunctionning unit and a shortboard MKII.

From my experiments, it seems that the problem happens before the signal goes digital, because when it happens, it is truly the input gain that is diminished (I can't get any crunch out of presets designed to crunch, which means that the analog input signal is diminished).

So  altough at first it seems this is a purely software related issue (because FW 1.30 works properly), I  think it could very well be the case that it is a combined, harware fault/firmware version, as not everyone is reporting this issue when migrating to a new FW version.

So, line 6 customer support managers, I need a support ticket, because I would like  (no, in fact I _want_) either :

- my faulty unit changed for a working unit running the latest firmware and tested by line6 before being shipped.

- a specific bug fix in the FW to cure this problem in case it is not hardware related.

- a refund.

With regards,

Remi

Re: POD HD Pro Volume Drop after firmware update from v 1.30 to v 2.02 - Need Support Ticket
by Line6david on 2012-04-10 11:56:57

Hi,

I have not seen any other users experience an issue like this with a POD HD Pro which leads me to believe that this is related to a hardware issue in your HD Pro. I would suggest getting the unit checked out at a service center:

Fuzz It - Centre de Réparation Line 6 (Francophone)
Hugo Van Der Goesstraat 17A
Gent
+32 938 30580 (phone)
support@line6.be

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

Re: POD HD Pro Volume Drop after firmware update from v 1.30 to v 2.02 - Need Support Ticket
by Texxxxx on 2012-04-10 17:51:19

FWIW- I have had this same problem..not quite to remi's extent...and have had an open support ticket for 2 1/2 months.  I, too, have been advised to have it serviced as it is most likely (in Line 6's opinion) a hardware issue.

by remi_delmas on 2012-04-11 15:01:00

Hi David, I contacted my retailer and he accepted to take it back to have it checked by its services and to have it forwarded to line6 in case his checks confirm the issue. I really don't understand if my retailer can decide to change my pod for a new one from his own local stock, and after that get his business done with line6 to get a replacement for the faulty unit, or if the retailer is just an intermediary between me and line6 and in that case I need to get a clear message from line 6 saying "yes, your unit will be replaced" before I can proceed sending my pod to the retailer?

Regards,

/Rémi

by Line6david on 2012-04-12 11:24:08

Hi,

The decision would be up to the retailer when it comes to replacement. If they are sending the unit into Fuzz It for you then the service center would likely repair the HD Pro. In either case you should end up with a working unit. Ultimately, it comes down to how the dealer wants to handle the issue. I am glad to hear that you are being helped but i can't speak for the retailer in this case. 

Thanks,

David

Line 6 Customer Support

by steenhuis on 2012-04-16 04:11:14

I have the same problems and I will also return the pod hd pro to a tech.

1.3 working fine, other firmwares volume drop as described here: http://line6.com/support/message/362102#362102

by bradl333 on 2012-06-28 16:14:45

Also been having the same problem. I had the unit sent back to line 6 and they said nothing was wrong but the first time I booted the unit the problem occured again. I reset the globals (holding left on the D-pad thing while booting) which seemed to help. Didn't have the issue for about a week but it has done it once or twice since. Really getting frustrated now as I have already sent the unit back once (which interupted some scheduled recording work for about 3 weeks) and I am worried that if i use the unit live it will fail again. Resseting the globals does seem to help somewhat though.

by steenhuis on 2012-07-06 02:48:09

My line6 hd pro unit is repaired by the good techs of line6. All is working well.

I knew that this would take a while and in the meantime i have bought a pod hd bean to keep the music going. Is that a suggestion for you?

The best thing is to buy or borrow the same model. Now that my hd pro is back i might sell the bean hd. The patches are not compatible.

The HD, HD500 and the HD pro are different machines with diffent editors. You have to open both editors and copy the patch settings by hand.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-06 03:29:06

Some clever dude has written a software converter that takes 500/pro patches and converts them for the desktop automatically.  See here ---> http://www.jzab.de/content/convert-pod-hd-500-presets-pod-hd-desktop-bean

">http://www.jzab.de/content/convert-pod-hd-500-presets-pod-hd-desktop-bean">http://www.jzab.de/content/convert-pod-hd-500-presets-pod-hd-desktop-bean

by steenhuis on 2012-07-08 15:51:26

Clever but the pod bean and the HD500 and the HD pro are NOT the same machines, the converted patches don't sound exactly the same. Thats why there are three different editors. Line6 knows this. Thats also the reason that the patches have different extensions.

The X3 and the X3 pro where compatible and so where the XT and the XT pro. The HD series has different options in each version of the machine.

For example, the extra settings:

http://besidesdata.nl/podhdpro.png

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-08 17:10:16

The extra settings relate to DT Amps and are not relevant if you use the Pod on its own.

In fact the tone engine on the Pro and 500 are identical.  It is just the inputs, outputs and form that differ.

The desktop differs primarily in that it only has the one guitar input and this is much of what the converter tool does.

by steenhuis on 2012-07-09 02:48:43

I agree that the tone egine is identical but the differences are there too.

Since my HD pro had to be repaired i own now a POD HD too, the bean version. I have tried the tool but my patches didn't sound the same. The HD pro sounds much better (less digital) and I had to adjust al my patches in volume and tweak it. Now my pro is repaired, i wont be using the hd bean anymore. It is not a good backup. I play in a coverband and my patches have to be spot on. Cause of the in-ear monitoring, volume differences are unwanted. The only good backup for a pro would be a pro. My advice voor Bradl333 would still be, use an other hd pro in the meantime.

by alberto_inzaghi on 2012-07-23 03:20:01

me too, having the same problem. yesterday i ran the update to 2.02 and the volume dramatically decreased. also, the expression pedal doesn't run anymore. i'm italian, i live in milan, i bought the pod in october 2011 so it's still under warranty. who do i have to contact? could ya give me the number and/or adress of the closest customer service?

thank you.

by silverhead on 2012-07-23 04:46:58

You just need to recalibrate the expression pedal. Hold down the D footswitch while powering on the device, and follow the on-screen instructions.

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.