These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Question on the HD500 with JT Variax - tone/volume controls
by haller88 on 2012-04-10 14:55:43

Is there some way to use the tone/volume controls to only adjust parameters on the HD500 and not turn the pickup volume to zero or the tone control to zero?  I really like the idea of being able to adjust some of the parameters with the tone/volume but turning the volume on pcikups to 0 to adjust some parameter on HD500 seems a bit like a nonstarter.  Maybe I am missing something... 

Re: Question on the HD500 with JT Variax - tone/volume controls
by silverhead on 2012-04-10 15:01:00

There is a control to lock both the Vol and Tone knobs on the Variax when using them as controllers of other FX. Once these controls are 'locked', moving the respective knobs will not affect the Variax Vol or Tone.

Look in the Mixer tab of HD500 Edit - you will see a field whose default value is Unlocked. Pop up the menu to see the locking options.

On the HD500 device, look in the Variax Setup pages for the locking controls.

by haller88 on 2012-04-13 13:21:05

Thanks - I will try this tonight!

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-20 21:37:53

Is anyone but me thinking the behavior when using this feature is kind of strange.  There's a strange default thing going on.  I tried setting up the tone control to control the drive on the treadplate(which amp probably doesnt matter). If I change the tone control to change the amount of drive and then change the pick up selector it will change the drive tone to a default setting, which I believe is with the tone at 100%.  The other thing that was happening is that if I set it up so that the drive at the lowest of the two settings is with the tone control at zero, so as I turn up the tone control I get more drive but save the preset with the tone on zero (cleanest setting).  If I go to a different patch and then back the tone is really dark, like the actual tone of the guitar is working even though I locked it out.  I have to move the tone control to get the brightness back again.   This is a good example to explain the other issue as well. So the default is tone on zero but if I change the pickup selector, it acts like the tone is on 100% it doesn't matter where the tone knob physically is, and I have the highest drive setting.  It's just strange and difficult to use.

In the interim, I have done the counter-intuitive thing and reversed it so the lowest amount of drive is with the tone on full and then backing ofnthe tone control increases the drive.  At least then when I hit the preset footswitch I have the bright tone, and the default when changing pickups is the crunch, but it still has a set of challenges.

I'm hoping no one else has this issue and that I just need to reflash something.  Or that it's a known issue and Line 6 is on it.   I really hope this wasn't the intention.

If you are going to use the tone knob to control a parameter on the HD500 and you lock it out, you should be able to save it at your preferred tone setting.   And the pick up selector shouldn't change what you have the tone knob set at.

by silverhead on 2012-04-21 06:40:50

I think your symptom may have to do with the way the HD500 assigns parameters when a new amp model is selected. Here's what the manual says:

About Default Amp Settings

Whenever you change to a different Amp or Preamp Model, predetermined Cab & Mic models are automatically loaded, as well as Amp Tone Knob settings designed to complement the Amp type. As noted throughout this chapter, you can certainly switch to a different Cab and/or Mic Model - just be sure to save your Preset to retain these changes.

This suggests that when you change the amp the HD500 assigns the default Tone stack settings (including Drive level) for the selected amp - it does not retain the current ones. So while your assignment of the Tone knob on the Variax as s controller is retained, the starting value for that controller is reset.

I think what you really want is an option to retain current Tone stack settings when you change to a diffferent amp. You should probably submit a feature request for this. However, I thinhk you may find that people feel differently about this (surprise!!). Many people (including Line 6 designers, it seems) feel that every amp is so different in its overall characteristics that you probably can't expect the Tone settings on one amp to have much relevance on a different amp - better to start with reasonable default values and tweak from there.

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-21 07:37:18

Hi Silverhead, thanks for your reply.  It's really hard to describe in words what talking about, I should probably do a YouTube demonstration.  To be clear I'm not changing amp models at all, I'm staying with the treadplate, I did. Racket the comment that the amp model probably didn't matter.  Although I haven't tested it I'm doubtful that the behaviour is unique to only the treadplate model.   Simply put, the tone changes when I switch to another preset and back and I believe it will do it if I just step on my current preset FS again.  And the pickup selector thing just happens anytime I use it.

Bottom line if none of this is happening to you perhaps I need to try to reflash some firmware.  I'll try that and then if the problem persists, I'll make YouTube vid so I can show what I mean.

by silverhead on 2012-04-21 07:48:00

OK - thanks for the clarification and sorry for my misunderstanding.

Personally, I haven't used the Variax knobs as controllers very much, and I did not notice your symptoms during the fiddling that I did. Hopefully others can comment here. And it wouldn't hurt to reflash the firmware on both the HD500 and JTV devices.

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-21 09:32:32

Hi Silverhead, I have down a quick audio demo with a really badly splice voice over, but at least it demonstrates what's happening.

If anyone else can reproduce this I will start a new thread and mark it as a question to see if Line 6 can respond.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.