These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Is it possible to use the JTV's piezo pickups as an individual setting?
by mauritzSA on 2012-04-11 17:26:47

Hello everybody. As I asked in the title, is it possible to use the JTV's piezo pickups as an individual setting? I was playing around on Workbench and when I was writing the changes to my JTV, I heard the piezo pickups through one of my HD500 acoustic patches for the first time and it sounded like something I could actually use. At this stage I probably use 95% of the different guitar models already for different projects, but I never thought about the piezo sound as a viable individual sound before stumbling upon it by accident. Can this be saved as a custom model on the JTV or accessed in some controlled way, and if not, could this be a possible future feature? This is a very artificial sound as I'm sure most of you are aware, and with the excellent acoustic update we recently got jor the JTV's I cannot complain about variety. On the contrary! But it sounds almost like something i've used on a previous project or two, and to have that as an extra option would be amazing.

Kind regards

Mauritz

Re: Is it possible to use the JTV's piezo pickups as an individual setting?
by johnnyayyy on 2012-04-11 23:36:28

mauritzSA wrote:

Hello everybody. As I asked in the title, is it possible to use the JTV's piezo pickups as an individual setting? I was playing around on Workbench and when I was writing the changes to my JTV, I heard the piezo pickups through one of my HD500 acoustic patches for the first time and it sounded like something I could actually use. At this stage I probably use 95% of the different guitar models already for different projects, but I never thought about the piezo sound as a viable individual sound before stumbling upon it by accident. Can this be saved as a custom model on the JTV or accessed in some controlled way, and if not, could this be a possible future feature? This is a very artificial sound as I'm sure most of you are aware, and with the excellent acoustic update we recently got jor the JTV's I cannot complain about variety. On the contrary! But it sounds almost like something i've used on a previous project or two, and to have that as an extra option would be amazing.

Kind regards

Mauritz

Someone wrote here: http://line6.com/support/thread/83479?tstart=0">http://line6.com/support/thread/83479?tstart=0">http://line6.com/support/thread/83479?tstart=0that they updated their firmware and chose the wrong option during the update and ended up with no models, only piezo sound... so I guess you could do it this way to record something then reflash when you are done but iot seems like a bunch of effort.

I would love to have the option for one of the models to be blank with piezos only but at the moment it does not exist. You should submit a feature request for this.

by mauritzSA on 2012-04-12 07:35:37

Thanks for the reply. I'll request this. Crossing fingers!

by Rewolf48 on 2012-05-01 04:57:49

Not really the answer, but if you really want a Peizo Acoustic sound and have an HD 500 you can get very close....

I was playing around going through the HD 500 preset patches and found one called something like PEIZO ACOUSTIC (can't remember the exact name - I don't have my HD 500 to hand at work).  It appears to have been designed to give a simulated acoustic from an Electric guitar and consists of a compressor, EQ, chorus and reverb.

I had a Spank model active and it sounded OK perhaps for live use if you wanted to pretend you had an acoustic, but when I switched to a JTV Acoustic model on the JTV it really came alive. 

My preference would be to switch off the EQ and have the nice full sound of the simulated Acoustics, but there might be some scenarios when you need to pretent that you are playing an Ovation for example in which case it could work quite nicely with a bit of tweaking of the settings.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.