These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Best way to cut top/bottom?
by lindsayward on 2012-04-13 05:21:38

Hi all.

With the new update there are now two more ways to do these sorts of things, and I'm wondering what people think are the "best" options for cutting the very bottom and top ends of the output signal?

Until this update I was using a mid-focus EQ and using the LPF and HPF on that; seemed fine.

I can now cut the bottom using the low-cut with the new cabinet settings (which saves an EQ block for low at least).

And with the vintage (mic) preamp model I have the same low/high cut options.

Are there any preferred methods here? If you've got one you prefer, please let us know why.

Thanks!

Re: Best way to cut top/bottom?
by mazuwa on 2012-04-13 05:36:38

This is my experience:

The Mid-focus EQ is the most difficult one to handle and doesn't always bring satisfied result alone if you only want to cut frequencies. I use this effect not to cut frequencies only, but to change the sound (to mid range boost character).

The mic preamp works fine, but before an amp it is not the same because the amp has its own dominant frequency curve which makes the cutted frequencies behind the amp partly coming back. Furthermore the sound will be changed.

Both methods cost an effect block.

My absolute favorite is the new cab DEP to cut frequencies behind the amp to avoid frequency overlapping of different instruments. Very fast, simple and most effective.

Of course it is still possible to combine effects.

But me I haven't spent as many hours scientifically with it as e.g. meambobbo, although I'm tweaking sounds very often.

Maybe he or his DEP briefing partner can say more.

by meambobbo on 2012-04-13 07:47:48

I felt that way about the mid-focus EQ for a while, but now that I finally understand what it's doing, I am pretty good at using it.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq#effects-mid">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq#effects-mid">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq#effects-mid

the important points are to start with HP freq 0%, LP freq 100% and gain around 0%.  That keeps it from really doing much of anything and you can tweak from there.  Also, turning up Q from about 55% creates a resonant peak at the cutoff frequency, which gives you possibly the opposite effect of what you intended to do.  At 100%, it's something like a +10 db boost.  If you only want to cut, keep Q at 50% or less.

by meambobbo on 2012-04-13 07:49:06

i don't use the vintage pre.  all i would want from it is the high and low pass, and the mid-focus eq gives me more control and a wider range of frequencies to use.  also, the vintage pre uses more DSP.

by mazuwa on 2012-04-13 07:55:40

Nice tip to start with.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.