These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

I'm having issues getting a good sounding low end on my HD 500. What are some ways to clean it up?
by chez17 on 2012-04-14 08:39:38

I'm playing a strat and going guitar -> pod -> amp (Bad Cat BC-50). Two cables nothing else interfering.

I've been playing with my pod for about a week and I love the versatility of it but I can't get the low end to sound decent. It's just so muddy. On a strat hitting that low E should be the best sounding note on the guitar (think SRV's Lenny) and I just can't get it to sound great. I've read a bunch of guides and played around with various amp and cab, just amp, just pre-amp, no amp, different EQs and boosts, and everything in between combinations and still can't get it soudngin decent. Any strat/single coil users out there have some advice on how to get the low end sounding great?

Re: I'm having issues getting a good sounding low end on my HD 500. What are some ways to clean it up?
by noesis87 on 2012-04-14 10:46:02

Use MID-FOCUS Eq. ~  set it with all other FX off,tweak with FX on after ( I place between AMP and MIXER usually) .

set gain to unity (around 9)

set LPF at 100

Q's at 50

set HP to where it sound good to your ear (30ish)

ALSO ~ in the AMP section of edit turn the cabinet parameter low cut to between 40 and 80 HZ range.

Delay FX can mud up your sound also.

Hope this helps.                              Cheers , Bob

Re: I'm having issues getting a good sounding low end on my HD 500. What are some ways to clean it up?
by chez17 on 2012-04-14 13:41:54

Thanks Bob. I'll try it out tonight and see what I can come up with.

by mdmayfield on 2012-04-14 13:59:10

If by "muddy," you mean there's too much low end, I'd try out Geekydaddy's Mid Focus EQ suggestion above. Also, assuming you've updated to the lasest HD500 firmware, you'll want to play around with the new Cab Deep Edit Parameters. I'd suggest starting by finding those settings (in the amp/cab section) and increasing the Low Cut parameter up to around 100-120 Hz.

Even though the guitar has note fundamentals down to about 80 Hz in standard tuning, the Low Cut is a very gentle slope (you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MtkBSRXT0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MtkBSRXT0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53MtkBSRXT0). So, if you set it at 80 Hz, it will only bring down 80 Hz by about 3 dB. Setting it up a bit higher at 100, 120, or even as high as 200 or more (depending on the specific cab and the tone of the kick drum and bass you're playing / recording with) might be necessary to get rid of the mud.

by chez17 on 2012-04-14 14:23:26

By muddy I meant that there is no definition in the low end, not that there is too much there. The issue is that the notes don't sound clear at all. It doesn't sound like it shoud when a pick hits the string.

by Apologist on 2012-04-14 19:59:59

Then using the cab low cut as mentioned plus using an eq to slight boost 3k a db or two ... this will cut flabbiness (by reducing lows that should be covered by a bass player anyway) and increasing a frequency range ( 3k ) that increases that edgy pick attack sound.

by mazuwa on 2012-04-15 00:35:24

Check if you also have this problem without the pod, just the guitar plugged to the amp listening to a clean channel.

If this is the case you should try to lower the pickups, at least on the bass side. If you have a strat it is the screw above the pickup.

Too high mounted pickups result in a muddy tone.

by lukegeis on 2012-04-15 21:13:14

I too have found some issues with this. I have only owned my pod for about a week. I got it just before the 2.0 update came out. I gotta say that I was impressed and dissapointed at the same time. I loved the realism of the models and the ability to get just about any sound I wanted, except............. There were a few things that hurt the overall performance. To get a track ready recording out of the devise it takes a lot of tweaking and the sound would not be realy usable for live sound. I also found that some models had enormous amounts of bass.

The new update with the cab DEP feature has changed all of the major issues I had with the unit. It also seemed to fix some other qualms I had with the models. My biggest pet peev was the fizzy artifact sound you would get when trying to run a high gain amp with your volume rooled off on the guitar. The new update seems to have reduced that effect and I found meesing with the bias and bias x parameters can reduce it to nearly a non issue. Get the new update and play with the low rolloff in teh cab DEP and that will help a lot. Although the update alone actually gets rid of mucth of the underlying issue anyway. Models are much clearer and the sub bass is reduced and cleaned up greatly.

The one thing I have truly found is that you must be willing to spend a lot of time tweaking with the desired output format and taking a realistic approach to the desired sound. An amp in a room sound, mic'd amp sound, or studio ready, polished amp sound, will all require time to develop and replicate from patch to patch. I got lucky and the update saved me from selling/returning the unit. The new update is very nice and fixed the issues I was not happy with. This unit sounds better when setup right than many of the amps it replicates. This is simply because of the tuneability. As far as how realistic it is to the amps it models is moot. I'm only interested in a sound that is like it's modeled counterpart, but is realistic and convincing enough that it doesn't matter. I honestly think this unit produces a better sound through my amps FX RTN. than the amp does on it's own. I just don't find it practical to run this through my amps FX RTN. I rather tweak it to work through FR/FR and run it straight into the PA. Although I am going to replicate patches to be used as a rack style setup through a guitar cab. The new update fixes the low end issue for sure, get it, play with it and you too will find all the win in this unit!!!!

by lukegeis on 2012-09-26 00:50:48

I recently started playing with the DEP functions a little more and found some interesting things. The resonance, thump and decay are all interlinked. If one is set really low the effect of the others are not as noticable. The resonance is the one that makes the largest difference. I also found that having the res., thump and decay all the way up will create a more 3 dimensional sound, at the cost of creating a very unrealistic tone. Reducing each parameter in respect to the issue will clean it up again and maintain some of the more open sound it created. It goes to show again that playing with the features will open up many more possibilities. The higher gain amps do not fair well with high values where as the lower gain ones do. It seems that higer gain amps fair better with lower values at the cost of definition and cut. But it cleans them up more and makes them a littel easier to tune. The low gain models seem to open up with the higher values at the cost of unrealistic tone. Play with the extreme's to see. The most important thing for controlling clarity is the low cut filter. I find that 160 hz is a good starting point for most amps. Up or down to taste....

by meambobbo on 2012-09-26 09:28:52

1) are you using an amp model on the Pod?

2) if so, which one?

3) are you going for a distorted tone?

4) which pickup are you using?

I would look out for 2 things in your patches:

1) too much bass/dark signal going into a distortion effect or amp model using distortion.  sometimes just sucking out a touch of bass before distortion gets the tone less fuzzy and poorly defined and makes it clean and smooth.  your distortion should compress the bass, so it's not like your patch won't have bass.  and if needs be you can EQ it in on your amp, cab DEP's, or with a post-amp EQ effect.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ampTone#distortionType

2)">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ampTone#distortionType">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ampTone#distortionType

2)you have unwanted clipping somewhere in the chain it shouldn't be.  sometimes EQ effects will easily clip.  Or if you're boosting beyond 50% in the amp block it can push it to clipping.  Turn off the parts of your chain that provide distortion and make sure you get a clean signal with them turned off.  add everything in one-by-one saving the amp block for last, trying to determine if anything's adding unwanted clipping. here's a guide on this subject:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/troubleshooting#clipping

also,">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/troubleshooting#clipping">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/troubleshooting#clipping

also,if you are using Input 1: Guitar, Input 2: Guitar/Same, this may lead to a slight phasing sound depending on how your patch is set up.  If you are using a single amp patch, try putting everything in Channel A - nothing before the path split and nothing after the Mixer.  In the mixer, set channel B all the way down to mute and pan channel A to center.  if you use stereo effects, this won't effect them - each channel is stereo.

if you're using a dual amp patch, try Input 2: Variax, then put a mono-summing effect before the path split.  For a complete tone-neutral effect, use the Noise Gate and set Threshold to min and Delay to max.  Otherwise, if you're using a Distortion effect, just make sure it's before the path split.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#input

">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#input">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup#input

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-09-26 09:59:16

What output mode are you using if you're using amp and cab models?

by mrzwo on 2012-09-30 02:42:21

I too had the same problem "issues with low end" through studio monitors and amp.

I followed geekdaddy's advice :- and now have amazing results.

I was considering going down the DT25 combo route, £550, Glad I didnt as my Peavey Vypyr 30 modeling amp (£150) using TWN or DLX amp settings sounds the best it ever has my USA strat now sounds like a Strat with lovely rich low end the goes right through you... fantastic !! . (Just need someone who can play it )

So thanks geekdaddy, and this may be a poor mans soloution to the problem of good tone

by wetredbox on 2012-09-30 12:44:01

This is another great post on tweaking that would never come to light but by users.   I suppose it is the knowledge of the actual hardware that helps achieve tweaks like this, which I only get from reading.  Others I suppose have much applied knowledge of hardware.   It kills me that I can go a year without knowing this.

This tweak, accross the board on all of my patches, brings the amps to life.  much better now, I thank you.  I only hope it doesn't sound better than my MTS mods.  I get my Salvation Mods AC30 module which sounds awesome I have heard.  Might get me a Soldano mod as well, unless the Line 6 one sounds really good, with this tweak it might

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.